Advertisement

Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 am

Hey, all.

I picked up volumes 1 through 3 of G.I. Joe Classic on Comixology recently. Great stuff that I had only read piecemeal before!

This has me in the mood to follow a current G.I. Joe title. Any recommendations? I like Van Lente and Kurth, but I'm wary to try their title since it takes place in a different continuity. Is it worth just jumping into Real American Hero where it is, or should I real through the first 155 issues before starting it?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 169 posts

Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am

RAH is fantastic

I started with the FCBD 155 1/2 issue and was fine
I went back and got all teh IDW trades and essentially read the series inside out and there are some aspects of the original run that are referred to, but not so much that you couldn't follow

hardest thing to remember is that even though they came out at the same time, the comic book is not the cartoon
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 55 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am

GHERU wrote:RAH is fantastic

I went back and got all teh IDW trades and essentially read the series inside out and there are some aspects of the original run that are referred to, but not so much that you couldn't follow

hardest thing to remember is that even though they came out at the same time, the comic book is not the cartoon

RU is correct on all counts.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 am

oogy wrote:RU is correct on all counts.

How do you think it stacks up compared to Van Lente/Kurth?

Also, I read the FCBD issue years back and liked it. Would it be possible for me to read that and jump to 190 or whatever is out right now, or would that make things difficult?

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 55 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
How do you think it stacks up compared to Van Lente/Kurth?

Also, I read the FCBD issue years back and liked it. Would it be possible for me to read that and jump to 190 or whatever is out right now, or would that make things difficult?

I quit reading all of the other G.I. Joe titles when they rebooted last time. I haven't read any of the new stuff.

A friend of mine reads them all and really likes the new stuff, but he says it's quite different than Real American Hero.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I ignore the other books because they seem to relaunch more than DC

as to RAH, I really can't tell you if you need to read from 155-190, that all depends on how much you yourself care about continuity. IMO it woulnd't be too difficult if you started from a new storyline
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 pm

RAH is amazing and one of the best comics out there.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm

its the last book I read the week it comes out
that way I know I will at least end on a high note
RUviews

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:56 pm

You should definitely read the rest of the classic stories first. Not necessarily because you have to in order to understand the Real American Hero stories, but because most of them are simply excellent comics. Most of the IDW Universe isn't really worth reading, except for the Sleeper-esque Christos Gage/Mike Acosta written issues of GI Joe: Cobra starring Chuckles. Those are fantastic.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:You should definitely read the rest of the classic stories first. Not necessarily because you have to in order to understand the Real American Hero stories, but because most of them are simply excellent comics. Most of the IDW Universe isn't really worth reading, except for the Sleeper-esque Christos Gage/Mike Acosta written issues of GI Joe: Cobra starring Chuckles. Those are fantastic.

Yeah, I had started reading the Cobra trades a little over a year ago. I thought the first trade was excellent. Moved onto the second trade and found it barely comprehensible. I think I need to give the book another shot soon.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Also, thanks, guys! I think I'm going to work my way through the classic series and then to Real American Hero, just because that seems like it'd be super-rewarding (and--via Comixology--super inexpensive) to do it this way.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 522 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm

As a huge fan of GI Joe as a kid who loved the Marvel comics and the cartoon, I think RAH is amazing. It is, as you say, rewarding, and one of the few comic series going today that respects and seems to love its 80s counterpart.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:34 pm

GHERU wrote:RAH is fantastic

And now we know!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum