Advertisement

Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2846
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK


Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 am

Hey, all.

I picked up volumes 1 through 3 of G.I. Joe Classic on Comixology recently. Great stuff that I had only read piecemeal before!

This has me in the mood to follow a current G.I. Joe title. Any recommendations? I like Van Lente and Kurth, but I'm wary to try their title since it takes place in a different continuity. Is it worth just jumping into Real American Hero where it is, or should I real through the first 155 issues before starting it?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Advertisement

GHERU
User avatar

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38952
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 169 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am

RAH is fantastic

I started with the FCBD 155 1/2 issue and was fine
I went back and got all teh IDW trades and essentially read the series inside out and there are some aspects of the original run that are referred to, but not so much that you couldn't follow

hardest thing to remember is that even though they came out at the same time, the comic book is not the cartoon
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

oogy
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7924
Likes: 247 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby oogy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am

GHERU wrote:RAH is fantastic

I started with the FCBD 155 1/2 issue and was fine
I went back and got all teh IDW trades and essentially read the series inside out and there are some aspects of the original run that are referred to, but not so much that you couldn't follow

hardest thing to remember is that even though they came out at the same time, the comic book is not the cartoon

RU is correct on all counts.
Image

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2846
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 am

oogy wrote:RU is correct on all counts.


How do you think it stacks up compared to Van Lente/Kurth?

Also, I read the FCBD issue years back and liked it. Would it be possible for me to read that and jump to 190 or whatever is out right now, or would that make things difficult?

oogy
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7924
Likes: 247 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby oogy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
How do you think it stacks up compared to Van Lente/Kurth?

Also, I read the FCBD issue years back and liked it. Would it be possible for me to read that and jump to 190 or whatever is out right now, or would that make things difficult?

I quit reading all of the other G.I. Joe titles when they rebooted last time. I haven't read any of the new stuff.

A friend of mine reads them all and really likes the new stuff, but he says it's quite different than Real American Hero.
Image

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

GHERU
User avatar

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38952
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 169 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I ignore the other books because they seem to relaunch more than DC

as to RAH, I really can't tell you if you need to read from 155-190, that all depends on how much you yourself care about continuity. IMO it woulnd't be too difficult if you started from a new storyline
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zechs
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 43576
Likes: 69 posts
Liked in: 113 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: From Parts Unknown
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby Zechs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 pm

RAH is amazing and one of the best comics out there.
Image
Image

Image


sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

GHERU
User avatar

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38952
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 169 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby GHERU » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm

its the last book I read the week it comes out
that way I know I will at least end on a high note
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Stalzer2002
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2757
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby Stalzer2002 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:56 pm

You should definitely read the rest of the classic stories first. Not necessarily because you have to in order to understand the Real American Hero stories, but because most of them are simply excellent comics. Most of the IDW Universe isn't really worth reading, except for the Sleeper-esque Christos Gage/Mike Acosta written issues of GI Joe: Cobra starring Chuckles. Those are fantastic.
Image
Image

TimDrake'sDumbWings
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2846
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:You should definitely read the rest of the classic stories first. Not necessarily because you have to in order to understand the Real American Hero stories, but because most of them are simply excellent comics. Most of the IDW Universe isn't really worth reading, except for the Sleeper-esque Christos Gage/Mike Acosta written issues of GI Joe: Cobra starring Chuckles. Those are fantastic.


Yeah, I had started reading the Cobra trades a little over a year ago. I thought the first trade was excellent. Moved onto the second trade and found it barely comprehensible. I think I need to give the book another shot soon.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2846
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Also, thanks, guys! I think I'm going to work my way through the classic series and then to Real American Hero, just because that seems like it'd be super-rewarding (and--via Comixology--super inexpensive) to do it this way.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75945
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 522 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm

As a huge fan of GI Joe as a kid who loved the Marvel comics and the cartoon, I think RAH is amazing. It is, as you say, rewarding, and one of the few comic series going today that respects and seems to love its 80s counterpart.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chesscub
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11631
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Dracut, MA
Title: Bear du jour


Re: Best G.I. Joe book on stands?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:34 pm

GHERU wrote:RAH is fantastic

I started with the FCBD 155 1/2 issue and was fine
I went back and got all teh IDW trades and essentially read the series inside out and there are some aspects of the original run that are referred to, but not so much that you couldn't follow

hardest thing to remember is that even though they came out at the same time, the comic book is not the cartoon


And now we know!

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 49 guests

Advertisement