Advertisement

Tony Daniel Quits Twitter After Gender Politics Argument

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 335 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Tony Daniel Quits Twitter After Gender Politics Argument

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:52 pm

What bugs me the most is when a girl brings her relationship junk to her dude friend who holds out hope that the relationship will fail and tells her how wonderful she is and how wrong the guy is and how much of a dick she is. Then she says "I love that you give me a guy's perspective on this blah blah blah" when he's really just giving a dishonest opinion.

The dude should just be true to himself and treat her the way he treats one of his guy friends. When my homies come to me with their relationship junk, I give them a blunt, honest opinion that puts everything in perspective. That means "Dude, stop dating that bitch because she makes you a miserable idiot." Mans gets upset but he gets the point. When I do that with a chick, she gets pissed and calls me insensitive and stops talking to me.

Advertisement

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 120 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Zechs wrote:
Go to Scans Daily. There are several words outlawed there because they are labeled "offensive". See the Poochie incident.

:roll:

What a twat.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: RE: Tony Daniel Quits Twitter After Gender Politics Argu

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Log-Man wrote: :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

I cannot properly express how much I love this line :-D

I mean, cheese could only help at that point, I guess. The correct answer is yes I'd like extra cheese, please.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I mean, cheese could only help at that point, I guess. The correct answer is yes I'd like extra cheese, please.

You're a vegan and can't have any.

/cheesezone'd

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Keb wrote:You're a vegan and can't have any.

I still have a bit of cheese now and again, just a vegetarian. Eli was vegan but we're still waiting for his v-clock to reset after the chicken incident a couple months back. I'm having some cheese tonight, but not very good cheese. Mediocre cheese is lamentable, but someone gave it to me and I don't want to waste it.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 824 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
Me neither. It was just a way of saying "she isn't into you".

In fact, if anything, I see it as more of a pejorative to the person who has been "friendzone'd".
These guys that think they are "nice guys" and they'll just be around and be supportive and sooner or later the girl will realize that he's the one that's always been there for her and she was in love with him the whole time and just too blinded to see it.

When in reality, he should just be open and direct about his feelings and intentions. If she shares that interest, great. If not... bummer.

And I've seen that scenario over and over from girls and guys.

That's the phrase I heard waaaaaaaaaaay back as teen in the early 80s. What gets me is the attitude or apparent attitude of young guys today. It's just wrong. If all you can do is see the girl/woman as someone to sex up... you will never get anywhere except to frustration.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 824 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Keb wrote:That's what I'm saying!

Which is good to see with a young guy like you.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I still have a bit of cheese now and again, just a vegetarian. Eli was vegan but we're still waiting for his v-clock to reset after the chicken incident a couple months back. I'm having some cheese tonight, but not very good cheese. Mediocre cheese is lamentable, but someone gave it to me and I don't want to waste it.

I wish I could eat mediocre cheese. :(

Do you eat eggs?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Keb wrote:I wish I could eat mediocre cheese. :(

Do you eat eggs?

Not very often, but if they're in a Thai dish or someone makes them for me I do. I used to eat more eggs in Chicago because there were so many old school diners everywhere.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 832 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Not very often, but if they're in a Thai dish or someone makes them for me I do. I used to eat more eggs in Chicago because there were so many old school diners everywhere.

I miss diners. :(
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I miss diners. :(

Me too, there are only a few old school ones here and I don't go to them often, it's not the same without the neighborhood feeling.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 pm

I eat mad eggs. Everyday stay eatin' eggs!

Most diners in Tdot are gone but there are a few around downtown.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:28 am

I think the problem here is people seeing the term 'friend zone' and not looking at the context it's used in.

First of all, it's used by Jimmy Olsen, a teenager. Most teenagers are immature, and wouldn't think twice about saying something stupid that could be perceived as offensive.

Even if you believe it is offensive, anyone who knows anything about Clark Kent knows that he isn't acting nice and meek in order to fuck Lois, he's acting nice and meek to preserve his secret identity (the fact that as Superman, Lois is into him adds another wrinkle, but it proves that you can't really apply a lot of these real-world theories to comics). He also fully accepts being just friends with Lois in this scene. We also know that, in the previous continuity, Lois does really reciprocate Clark's feelings and they end up getting married. Hell, to most fans, Clark has been put in the friend zone by Dan Didio and Geoff Johns and Flashpoint and should be punching his way out like Superboy Prime!

Using a word or phrase in the right context is everything. Reacting like this is almost as ridiculous as when Spike Lee refuses to see a Tarantino movie because he uses 'nigger'. No matter that using that word in a film about slavery makes perfect sense, the word is offensive and must not be used by a white director!

Think before you outrage. Just because a phrase is 'problematic' doesn't mean it can't be used.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 56 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:59 am

Punchy wrote:Using a word or phrase in the right context is everything. Reacting like this is almost as ridiculous as when Spike Lee refuses to see a Tarantino movie because he uses 'nigger'. No matter that using that word in a film about slavery makes perfect sense, the word is offensive and must not be used by a white director!

Think before you outrage. Just because a phrase is 'problematic' doesn't mean it can't be used.

Tarantino has had a problem with the word nigger long before Django Unchained. He cast himself in a role in Pulp Fiction where he said it many times.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:03 am

LobsterJ wrote:
Tarantino has had a problem with the word nigger long before Django Unchained. He cast himself in a role in Pulp Fiction where he said it many times.

I know, 'dead nigger storage'. I actually wrote an essay that involved the Lee/Tarantino argument in University, referring to that scene and the bits in Do The Right Thing where the characters spit racial epithets right into the camera.

I think using 'nigger' in a film about low-life criminals is fine. They are the kind of people who would still use that word. Although unless my memory is wrong, isn't Tarantino's character in Pulp Fiction, married to a black woman? That's weird.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand