Thursday, August 25, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "*the sound you hear when PAC-MAN dies*"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The terrible sales of Marvel's female characters.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 am

HNutz wrote:
I dunno.

100 Issues of Invinvible & Walking Dead say otherwise.


Do they? Cause that's two titles out of how many on the market? Seems like it's equally possible that what they are saying is "Good afternoon, sir. We're a couple of exceptions, here to prove a rule.". :P
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 am

Lord Simian wrote:
Do they? Cause that's two titles out of how many on the market? Seems like it's equally possible that what they are saying is "Good afternoon, sir. We're a couple of exceptions, here to prove a rule.". :P


Two titles that dominate trade sales are hardly exceptions.

Hab
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 am

habitual wrote:
Two titles that dominate trade sales are hardly exceptions.

Hab


They may be great exceptions, but they are indeed exceptions, when they are two out of countless legion. :)
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
They may be great exceptions, but they are indeed exceptions, when they are two out of countless legion. :)


How can number 1 be an exception? :smt017

Hab
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I've said it twice now. Are you Herald, deliberately ignoring what people say in order to "defend your rightness"? Do I need to post tropes to communicate? :groucho:
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I've said it twice now. Are you Herald, deliberately ignoring what people say in order to "defend your rightness"? Do I need to post tropes to communicate? :groucho:


No, he's Fieldy; always zeroing right in on the wrong horse, and backing it ALL the way. :P
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I've said it twice now. Are you Herald, deliberately ignoring what people say in order to "defend your rightness"? Do I need to post tropes to communicate? :groucho:


Nah i just think your assertion that they are exceptions instead of addressing a whole in the market is way off base.

A great deal of Images output and their success supports that.

Hab
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 1:32 pm

habitual wrote:
Nah i just think your assertion that they are exceptions instead of addressing a whole in the market is way off base.

A great deal of Images output and their success supports that.

Hab


Ok, you got it, Herald. Two out of a multitude aren't exceptions, they're obviously proof that you'be been right all along, and it really was Old Man Didio under the Yeti mask, and he would have gotten away with it if not for you and your bevy of Asian Beauties. :groucho:
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Ok, you got it, Herald. Two out of a multitude aren't exceptions, they're obviously proof that you'be been right all along, and it really was Old Man Didio under the Yeti mask, and he would have gotten away with it if not for you and your bevy of Asian Beauties. :groucho:


ZOINKS!! :shock:
WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY BEVY OF ASIAN BEAUTIES??!!

Cat-Scratch... :smt013

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 12, 2013 1:42 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Well, a big part of the problems facing Marvel's females have to do with the fact that the fan base still reading comics are a bunch nostaglia-driven, change adverse not-so-young adult male base (that happens to be white). Remember, when the Industry had a healthy market, it had a constant influx of new readers buying their first comic every day, so while the Icons were always being exposed to new eyes, those eyes were still open-minded enough to give the properties with a lesser-profile a try.

When was the last time we had what could be considered a healthy influx of new readers? Who were the last "new" properties to truly benefit from that influx?

With not enough new readers coming in, and the majority of the fan base remaining that first picked up their first comic in 70s, is there really room for newer or under-utilized characters that don't have a built-in fan base due to a certain name in their title?

Of course, there are other factors, but this definitely one of the bigger ones.


GiveWarAChance wrote:The excuse I'm always told is that guys want to read stories about other guys so they can relate to it better. When you have a predominately male fan base, you have to cater to it. It's the same reason why in video games they feel they can't sell a game with a women on the cover(Mass Effect & Bioshock: Infinite). When there's a create a character mode, the guys generally create male characters.

SilverPhoenix is dead on about the nostaglia-driven fan base too. People just want to read the same old shit. People don't want to support any new characters.


I disagree. I am one of those old fanboys and what I want is not nostalgia, but work that has not cherry picked the hell out of the past to give me tired stories that do nothing to further the characters and that includes literally doing things that were not done before because no other ideas can be fudged out. I keep hearing this theory yet see no proof of it. New characters can be great but not always. Some are badly timed or badly done or just plan bad. At the heart of it is, IMO, what's wanted is some level of familiarity but also not change for the sake of it. Comics really don't change all that much, since they turn back to what was before because it was working before. Add to this that most new characters often will not receive support because they just do not have the belief by the readership that they will last, so why invest in them? Around twenty years ago Marvel popped out two new characters called Darkhawk and Sleepwalker. Good stuff, not great but good stuff. Neither lasted that long. So to point, your theory of "the nostalgia driven" killing them was not so. If so... how are there any comics out there? Those titles died, as did the 2099 line, because people stopped buying them. All those kids and folks who jumped in during that surge because of the media flogging Batman did not support them and because the powers that be canceled them.

SP... where you get your data for the readership being mostly being folks my age and not younger? Given that I've been around since the 60s.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 pm

habitual wrote:
Slott's work on She-Hulk was really very good. I haven't read the recent Wonder Woman yet, but, I plan too, which I haven't done in years.

Up to this point the only other WW I've really enjoyed was Rucka's Hikiteaia.

Han


I think Slott did a great job with She-Hulk.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue May 14, 2013 4:13 am

Herald wrote:
ZOINKS!! :shock:
WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY BEVY OF ASIAN BEAUTIES??!!

Cat-Scratch... :smt013


The same guy who told me you helped kill all those hookers.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Guys, by the way, I posted a Neon Genesis Evangelion review on my blog. If you could please stop by and leave a comment I'd appreciate it.
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 am

May update with last months figures for comparison. The first post contains all of the sales figures.

Captain Marvel
#12 - 18,344 +3.38% :shock:
Avengers: Enemy Within replaces Captain Marvel for the month.
#1 - 34,204 +86.45 Let's see if Captain Marvel can keep any of these additional sales.

Red She-Hulk
#64 - 15,055 -5.55%
#65 - 14,044 -6.71% Cancelled with #67.

Journey Into Mystery
#651 - 17,443 -8.22%
#652 - 16,873 -3.26%

Fearless Defenders
#3 - 23,514 -16.74%
#4 - 20,656 -12.15% Still seeing huge drops.
#4AU - 24,983 +20.94 Age of Ultron tie-in.

X-Men
#1 - 177,629 Debuts at #1.

Marvel's other female centric titles.

FF
#6 - 32,937 -4.80%
#7 - 30,959 -6%

Uncanny X-Force
#3 - 51,721 -8.80%
#4 - 47,726 -7.70%
#5 - 45,673 -4.30% Ships two issues this month to make up for last months delay. Goes down 12% for the month.
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 am

So Journey Into Mystery is cancelled as of issue 655? I must have missed that news. That sucks, I was really enjoying that series. :-(

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: e_galston, Earth-2 NoctourneM, Flamebird, Google [Bot], John Strange, MSNbot Media, Pizza Dog, Popeye McFly and 42 guests