Advertisement

I Need Help

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

RepublicanGod
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

I Need Help

Postby RepublicanGod » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 am

So i'm new to the comic book world and need some recommendations for starting out. I have been reading mostly Batman and Superman with several graphic novels to tell me a better story. I read both of the Earth One's as well as some other stories. I am really fascinated in the origins of the superhero and their struggle with their actual identity's. I also like something that's revamped for today's times since it's more relatable. Are there any graphic novels (since they tell a better story - I believe) for any other comica you would recommend? I was thinking Spider-Man or Iron Man but that's just because of the films so I know them a bit better than the lesser knowns. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts

Re: I Need Help

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 am

if you are ok with PreNu52 books, Scot Snyder's Batman: The Black Mirror is fantastic and stars Dick Grayson (Nightwing) as Batman

Revamped Spider-Man, I'd go with Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1 and work up from there

Iron Man sucks
Superman Sucks

if you really want a modern super-hero book that explores all that you discussed above, Image's Invincible (written by Robert Kirkman writer of Walking Dead) is a great book to read. Not bogged in continuity (relaunced or otherwise) and is fantastic

oh, and read Mark Waid's Daredevil
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 am

Iron Man's a toughie because he's my favorite super-hero and has some of my favorite comics but there's no story that really works out well collected.

I guess I'd recommend Iron Man: Extremis. It's a pretty good story with nice art that doesn't require any more knowledge about the character than knowing that Tony Stark is Iron Man.

If you're willing to take some continuity into the equation and are willing to look at something a LITTLE older, check out Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle or Iron Man: Armor Wars. These are both over twenty years old (the original comics-- the trade paperbacks should be pretty new) but both are stories that every Iron Man writer would like to tell over and over again. And then one more time.

I also really enjoyed Iron Man: World's Most Wanted volumes 1 & 2. This is probably the newest stuff I'd recommend but it also has the most connection to continuity and probably requires some background knowledge to fully enjoy. But that's why God invented the internet.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 am

I recommend

Iron Man
Demon in a Bottle as well
Ironmonger for a good Rhodey and Tony story
Armor Wars

Spider-Man
Go with Ultimate Spider Man

Superman
All Star Superman

Batman (if you can find them)
The Many Deaths of Batman
Year One
Death IN the Family

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am

Chesscub wrote:I recommend

Iron Man
Demon in a Bottle as well
Ironmonger for a good Rhodey and Tony story
Armor Wars

Spider-Man
Go with Ultimate Spider Man

Superman
All Star Superman

Batman (if you can find them)
The Many Deaths of Batman
Year One
Death IN the Family

I've read two of the three Batman books mentioned here, and can vouch for them, (Year One and Death In the Family). Year One in fact gets my vote for best Batman story ever, edging Miller's other great Batman work DKR, for being both more focused and a better overall story. The funny thing is it's a much or more a Gordon story as a Batman story. With no great villains familiar to the casual Batman fan. It is probably the perfect origin story IMO.

BTW, the DVD animated version of Year One hews pretty closely to the original comic book version.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 583 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

Batman-wise =

Batman Year One
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman The Dark Knight Returns

Miracle Man if you can find it.

Hmmmm, Nexus has some issues that cover what you're looking for.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Batman-wise =

Batman Year One
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman The Dark Knight Returns

Miracle Man if you can find it.

Hmmmm, Nexus has some issues that cover what you're looking for.

Shit are you kidding? The only way to get those cheaply is if you illegally download it. :lol:

I finally found the last issue I was looking for (Apocrypha 2) and I spent $10 to get it. I cringe thinking how much a copy of 15 or 16 would run anyone.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 am

achilles wrote:
I've read two of the three Batman books mentioned here, and can vouch for them, (Year One and Death In the Family). Year One in fact gets my vote for best Batman story ever, edging Miller's other great Batman work DKR, for being both more focused and a better overall story. The funny thing is it's a much or more a Gordon story as a Batman story. With no great villains familiar to the casual Batman fan. It is probably the perfect origin story IMO.

BTW, the DVD animated version of Year One hews pretty closely to the original comic book version.

The Many Deaths of Batman is a short three part series that was collected in TPB. Basically someone is killing people that he thinks could be Batman. Great Byrne story and Aparo art.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand