Sunday, June 26, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Where keepin' it real goes wrong."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Fanboys Declare Sexism Over as All-Female X-Men #1 Tops Sales Charts

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

That would be T-Women :P
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Keep digging that hole, Punchy.


It's a truth-hole!

Every other female-only superhero book sells like shit, except the one called 'X-Men', hmmm, I wonder why that could be?
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

Punchy wrote:
It's a truth-hole!

Every other female-only superhero book sells like shit, except the one called 'X-Men', hmmm, I wonder why that could be?

Brian Wood
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:13 am

GHERU wrote:Brian Wood


He was already writing X-Men before the relaunch, the new #1 is the bigger difference.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

Punchy wrote:
He was already writing X-Men before the relaunch, the new #1 is the bigger difference.

the last X-Men #1 didn't debut at #1 and sold 66,000 copies
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=29098

you saying that if victor Gishler's #1 came out now it would out sell Age of Ultron?
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

It could be that the X-Men have had such strong female characters (thanks to Chris Claremont) for the past three decades that no one even notices that the team is all female. It's just the X-Men. And that's probably the point.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 am

GHERU wrote:the last X-Men #1 didn't debut at #1 and sold 66,000 copies
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=29098

you saying that if victor Gishler's #1 came out now it would out sell Age of Ultron?


Probably.

I don't know why people are disagreeing with me here, I'm agreeing with the article, the high sales of X-Men #1 don't indicate that sexism is over and people now love female superheroes as much as male ones, they indicate that people still like the X-Men.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:It could be that the X-Men have had such strong female characters (thanks to Chris Claremont) for the past three decades that no one even notices that the team is all female. It's just the X-Men. And that's probably the point.


I agree with this, I imagine most people just saw 'X-Men #1' on the cover and didn't even think about the gender ratio of the cast.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

Punchy wrote:
Probably.

I don't know why people are disagreeing with me here, I'm agreeing with the article, the high sales of X-Men #1 don't indicate that sexism is over and people now love female superheroes as much as male ones, they indicate that people still like the X-Men.

because you are coming off as saying that the reason an all female book sold well is that it is named X-"MEN"
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 am

GHERU wrote:because you are coming off as saying that the reason an all female book sold well is that it is named X-"MEN"


That is what I'm saying. This book would not have sold as well if it was called 'Female Force' or 'Mutant Misses' or whatever.

If all-female books were a good selling point, Fearless Defenders would be near the top of the charts. It isn't, because Defenders isn't as famous a name as X-Men.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 am

Punchy wrote:
That is what I'm saying. This book would not have sold as well if it was called 'Female Force' or 'Mutant Misses' or whatever.

If all-female books were a good selling point, Fearless Defenders would be near the top of the charts. It isn't, because Defenders isn't as famous a name as X-Men.

and I'm, saying that "of course it sold well, its marketed as Men instead of Women" is not a stance I agree with

I think it sold well because it was a new #1 with a fantastic creative team on top of the fact that AU sucks balls
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 am

GHERU wrote:and I'm, saying that "of course it sold well, its marketed as Men instead of Women" is not a stance I agree with

I think it sold well because it was a new #1 with a fantastic creative team on top of the fact that AU sucks balls


Whether it stars men or women is irrelevant, it sold well because it's called X-Men, anything called X-Men will sell well, especially a new #1.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Punchy wrote:
I agree with this, I imagine most people just saw 'X-Men #1' on the cover and didn't even think about the gender ratio of the cast.


That's not what I was saying. :lol:
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Damn, Punchy.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

I don't see what you guys have trouble understanding.

Most of the other female-focused books sell poorly

Most of the other X-Men books sell well.

Which is more likely to lead to a new X-Men series being #1 in the sales rankings? It's only logic!

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], senwolf, Zechs, Zen and 37 guests

cron