Advertisement

Superman Unchained #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Self Important

Superman Unchained #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 pm

SO zechs probably got a lil chubber but otherwise meh.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 402 posts

Re: Superman Unchained #1

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:00 am

It looked pretty and was solidly written. And the poster was cool. I guess it was worth the price.

I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

Even if it gives us ANOTHER "evil Superman". Or maybe this will be the NuDCU version of Zod or something.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 am

I'm guessing it's the eradicator. Hence the Zechs boner, he likes all the shitty characters.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am

HNutz wrote:It looked pretty and was solidly written. And the poster was cool. I guess it was worth the price.

I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

Totally. This was the best written Superman since the reboot.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am

Unfortunately, this first issue of Superman Unchained doesn’t involve Kal-El being freed from slavery by a kindly German dentist and killing Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L Jackson, but it’s still pretty good. Ever since Grant Morrison left Action Comics and Andy Diggle’s run was curtailed before it even begun, this has been the book I’ve been waiting to deliver a Superman comic that is actually good, and whilst it wasn’t perfect, I think it’s a good start.

Scott Snyder (no relation to Man Of Steel ‘visionary director’ Zack) has become one of my favourite writers and one of DC’s best thanks to his work on Batman, Swamp Thing and American Vampire, and he brings his usual high quality to the world of Superman. Yes, he does return to some of his usual tics, like every issue beginning with an anecdote about the hero’s childhood or parents, but it’s one thing to read Bruce Wayne reminisce for the umpteenth time, than to read Clark Kent do it for the first time. Snyder has really built up a real and relevant world for Batman, and if he can do the same for Superman, then it’s all good.

We see that here in the scenes with the classic trifecta of Clark, Lois and Jimmy. The dialogue between all three of them is very strong, and Snyder manages to make the Daily Planet seem real, with Lois worrying about ad placement in the paper. We also see some commentary on the state of the media today, Clark has grown frustrated by the tabloidy nature the Planet has taken and so is an independent blogger, which is very cool. I also like how Snyder is establishing a living and thriving Metropolis, complete with Bagel Shops. I really like DC’s fake cities, and when writers like James Robinson, Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder really endeavor to make them seem real and distinctive, then I’m going to love it.

The actual Superman plot here involves Superman stopping a space station from crashing to Earth, in a very exciting, widescreen sequence wonderfully drawn by Jim Lee. I’m not the biggest Jim Lee fan in the world, but you know what you’re going to get from him, and the scope of this crash was real Jim Lee stuff. That massive double-sized poster was something else (albeit a bit unwieldy and hard to read, are we supposed to remove it from the cardboard? I dunno).

Snyder manages to use this crash to not only show how awesome Superman is, but set up several interesting plotlines. There’s the possibility that a new cyber-terrorist group called ‘Ascension’ could be behind it. Lex Luthor could also be involved (and Snyder writes a pretty great Lex), and then there’s the biggy, the existence of another being, just as powerful as Superman who is working for the US Government and who stopped another Satellite from crashing. Who is this dude? We see in the opening scene that he was the cause of the A-Bomb explosion over Nagasaki in 1945, which is a very interesting divergence from real history. A lot of people seem to think it’s another Kryptonian, maybe Zod, but my guess? Captain Atom. I know we’ve already seen him in the New 52, but time-travel is part of his origin anyway.

This was a strong start to this title, with a movie coming out, there needed to be a good Superman story out there, and this was that, and hey, it’s a perfect introduction to the character for any new readers who stumble into comic shops after seeing Man Of Steel. This is the kind of Superman we should be getting, two of the industry’s top creators, writing the top Superhero kicking some ass.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Great start! Very enjoyable issue.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I didn't hate it but I was a little underwhelmed by it. Unfortunately, I can't really pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about the issue except to say that it wasn't what I was expecting from a first issue. I'll give it a few more issues.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Punchy wrote:

We see that here in the scenes with the classic trifecta of Clark, Lois and Jimmy. The dialogue between all three of them is very strong, and Snyder manages to make the Daily Planet seem real, with Lois worrying about ad placement in the paper. We also see some commentary on the state of the media today, Clark has grown frustrated by the tabloidy nature the Planet has taken and so is an independent blogger, which is very cool. I also like how Snyder is establishing a living and thriving Metropolis, complete with Bagel Shops. I really like DC’s fake cities, and when writers like James Robinson, Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder really endeavor to make them seem real and distinctive, then I’m going to love it.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Aren't you a blogger?

I don't see why you're laughing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Punchy wrote:Aren't you a blogger?

Because, alright there is no way I can say something without getting at least a warning. Just yeah he's terrible.

- Les Paul

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Punchy wrote:Aren't you a blogger?

Blogs are some of the most "tabloidy" things out there.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Blogs are some of the most "tabloidy" things out there.

Yeah, in the real world.

But one written by Clark Kent, award-winning investigative journalist and social crusader, wouldn't be.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, in the real world.

But one written by Clark Kent, award-winning investigative journalist and social crusader, wouldn't be.

He'll probably be crawling back to the Planet then. "Crusading Journalist" he may be. A businessman he is not.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

He'll probably be crawling back to the Planet then. "Crusading Journalist" he may be. A businessman he is not.

Do you really think that what you do isn't blogging?

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Clark Kent doesn't need money! He doesn't need to eat. If he can't make the rent on a Metropolis apartment, he has a massive ice fortress or a JLA satellite to live in, he probably doesn't even need to sleep. He has no travel costs because he can fly anywhere in 10 seconds.

Clark's blog isn't there to make money, it's there to help the world, just like what he does as Superman.

You're just hating on New 52 Superman just for the sake of it now.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand