Advertisement

Green Lantern Corps #21 (Used to be good guys Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Green Lantern Corps #21 (Used to be good guys Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

A new era for the Green Lantern Corps dawns with a strong issue. I think my problem with the last few month’s of Tomasi’s run was that the star was clearly on Guy Gardner, and the rest of the Corps were kind of just in the background. This opening issue from the new writing team of Robert Venditti and Van Jensen doesn’t do that, yes, John Stewart is front and centre, but Soranik Natu and Salaak also get some decent focus, and we are introduced to a whole swathe of new Green Lantern recruits.

I think the Salaak story is actually the most interesting thing here, with most of the other GLC members seeing him as a lapdog of the old, evil Guardians and blaming him for what happened. It’s going to be very interesting to see what’s next for the big pink-headed weirdo. I do like how thoroughly this and the main series are exploring the impact of what happened with the Third Army and the First Lantern. The Corps is really depleted, and on top of that, most of the Universe views them as evil, even cute little frog dudes.

The John Stewart plot starts out pretty conventionally (though I did like the big exclamation that he’s not going to die today, one in the eye for the rumour-mongers?), with him and Fatality discussing their relationship and what it means, before running into some mysterious aliens, who are pretty blah. But then on the last page we find out that they are Durlans, which is pretty cool. Durlans are of course the evil shape-shifters most common scene in the 30th Century of the Legion Of Super-Heroes, where Chamelon Boy is the only good one. It’s going to be cool to see them in the present-day DCU, and since the GL rings can’t recognize them, they are a real threat. The art for this issue comes from Bernard Chang, who is awesome, I’ve been a fan of his work whenever it’s popped up at DC for a while, he’s got a great, unique style. So far, the new creators for the GL books are impressing me, which is awesome.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Green Lantern Corps #21 (Used to be good guys Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 pm

I think Venditti is going to try and make the Durlans the Skrulls of the DCU. More details here
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 196 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I think Venditti is going to try and make the Durlans the Skrulls of the DCU. More details here

Beat me to this comment.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:I think Venditti is going to try and make the Durlans the Skrulls of the DCU. More details here

Well that makes sense, the Skrulls are awesome.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am

That actually sounds really good. The GL books have shown multiple wars in the last few years, but little in the way of fallout from those conflicts. It makes sense that the rest of the universe would begin to distrust the Corps in the wake of all they've been up to lately.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 196 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

MrBlack wrote:That actually sounds really good. The GL books have shown multiple wars in the last few years, but little in the way of fallout from those conflicts. It makes sense that the rest of the universe would begin to distrust the Corps in the wake of all they've been up to lately.

Speaking of which does anyone know if the Controllers are in the New 52, as I could see them trying to fill the void the Guardians left as they are even more manipulative than they are. I could see them bringing back the Darkstars or Effigy to cause more problems.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand