Advertisement

Suicide Squad #21 (A reasonable loon Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Suicide Squad #21 (A reasonable loon Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

I picked up the first issue of Ales Kot’s run on Suicide Squad last month thanks to a recommendation from The Enthusiast Podcast, and I really enjoyed it, so… it’s on my list! This issue picks up where the last one left off, and provides some really dark superhero thrills. Amanda Waller’s attempts at mental manipulation of the Squad really backfire here, as Harley Quinn, who Waller had tried to make fall in love with Unknown Soldier, doesn’t do that, and instead stabs him in the gut and kidnaps Waller.

This issue was just gripping, on every page you’re thinking that something dark is going to happen, that Harley will just slit Waller’s throat. I’ve never been a big fan of Harley Quinn, she’s always annoyed me to be honest, but she works here as a crazy wildcard, even if she did say ‘feelz’, she caused some chaos and was entertaining. I loved the fight between Deadshot and Unknown Soldier, that was supremely bad-ass.

I also really like the use of James Gordon Jnr here. When I read #20 I didn’t know who he was really, but in the interim, I read Black Mirror, so I know the true story of this great new villain. His face-off with Harley was fantastic, and I loved him swearing on his sister’s grave, when we as readers know his sister (Batgirl) is very much alive. He’s such a creepy bastard. This is all delivered along with some fantastic Patrick Zircher artwork, he has been kicking ass ever since those Thor one-shots he did with Fraction, and this book just looked beautiful, I think it may be the best DC book of them all, art-wise, better even than Jim Lee or Reis.

This book is really impressing me after only 2 issues, this is a dark comic, but it’s dark done well, the characters are evil, but with personality, and there’s some interesting commentary on Government evils (Harley flies some drones), which are very relevant at the moment. The framing device is also very intriguing, what kind of a deal did Waller strike? If you were turned off by this book when it first started, check back on for Kot’s run, it’s like Ellis’ Thunderbolts in the DCU, it’s intelligent, and it looks fantastic.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: Suicide Squad #21 (A reasonable loon Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Nobody else is reading this?

Check it out guys.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Waller's password cracked me up.

And yeah, this is a huge improvement on how the book was under Adam Glass. I do think, though, that DC's books are getting more and more apt to be read in trade only: just as I started to really enjoy the issue it was over.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:39 pm

nietoperz wrote:Waller's password cracked me up.

And yeah, this is a huge improvement on how the book was under Adam Glass. I do think, though, that DC's books are getting more and more apt to be read in trade only: just as I started to really enjoy the issue it was over.

I never read Glass' run, but these last 2 issues under Kot have impressed me so much I may go back and read it. You say it's no good?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Ales Kot is a very talented young writer, DC is lucky to have writers like Kot and Kindt.

Change is recently out in a collected edition, you should check it out.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 312 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Amanda Waller’s attempts at mental manipulation of the Squad really backfire here, as Harley Quinn, who Waller had tried to make fall in love with Unknown Soldier, doesn’t do that, and instead stabs him in the gut and kidnaps Waller.

One more reason why this Waller is a cheap fake; you'd have to be Superman to cart off the REAL Amanda Waller. :P

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 327 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Herald wrote:
One more reason why this Waller is a cheap fake; you'd have to be Superman to cart off the REAL Amanda Waller. :P

I still believe the real Waller( Who is a fat middle aged woman) is still out there and this version we're seeing is either a Cadmus clone or her wet-behind-the-ears niece filling in for her.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 am

Punchy wrote:
I never read Glass' run, but these last 2 issues under Kot have impressed me so much I may go back and read it. You say it's no good?

I didn't like it - I really wanted to, as I've always loved the Squad. He just wasn't much cop as a writer, really. Kot's a proper step up.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:13 am

P. Zircher's on the art as well? Damn, the Diabolical Churn truly does its best to tempt me today.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:13 am

Victorian Squid wrote:P. Zircher's on the art as well? Damn, the Diabolical Churn truly does its best to tempt me today.

Yep, although I don't know how long he'll be on it for.

The art looks great, very much like his Shadowman.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:15 am

Punchy wrote:
Yep, although I don't know how long he'll be on it for.

The art looks great, very much like his Shadowman.

They've got a good thing going so of course the best thing to do is Churn it up again soon, probably.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 119 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 am

THis issue, just like the previous, was fantastic!

The series started as a fun, never know what's coming, chaotic mess, but somewhere around Death of the Family it started to lose the fun, until these last 2 issues.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand