Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Mark Waid is MAAADDD About Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:a neck snap is not a spur of the moment desperation move, it's a cold blooded way to kill someone usually used in movies by professional killers.

so an untrained superman with limited experience in stuff like this just happened to have a fatality in his moveset. that's what makes it even more stupid...it's not like he lost control, he instinctively heard a voice in his head that said "finish him" and went for a fatality.


:lol: I think you're taking the neck snapping thing a bit too far.

The hysterics over this are a bit overblown imo, a cop would've been justified shooting someone threatening other people's lives, but, when it's Superman it's not ok?

Hab
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Herald wrote:
And you're NOT biased, right??


:lol:

Image

Hab
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Herald wrote:Remember, comic book Superman never needed outside training to know how to respect the sanctity of life. This is Clark Kent, a guy who has been taught by his adopted parents that there's always another option besides murder.


That's fine but this was a movie that was independent from the comics. Nothing in the movie before or after the incident occurs suggests that Clark doesn't understand or respect the sanctity of life. If you had watched the movie, you would know that Clark was profoundly effected by the magnitude of his decision and he didn't simply stand up, wash his hand, and whistle a tune as he skipped away.

Yeah, like breaking arms and legs instead of a neck.


You're right, Clark could have broken Zod's arms and legs first. I said that there were probably other options available. However, does that guarantee that Zod won't still obliterate a family with his heat vision first? You don't need arms and legs to incinerate somebody with heat vision. :smt102

Sorry, but I'm afraid it does. This is no more the real Superman than the thing that the DCnU is presenting. It's just another warped, Darker and Edgier version of him.


In your opinion. The Superman depicted in Man of Steel was never meant to be an example of any one type of Superman, it is its own beast entirely. Just because he killed one guy, doesn't mean he is going to go around killing villains left or right. This movie isn't as dark and edgy like other people are trying to make it out to be.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 pm

habitual wrote:
:lol: I think you're taking the neck snapping thing a bit too far.

The hysterics over this are a bit overblown imo, a cop would've been justified shooting someone threatening other people's lives, but, when it's Superman it's not ok?

Hab


cops have guns and are trained in this. but i guess superman was also trained in the kansas art of neck snapping by jonathan kent.

it was utterly brutal. i can imagine jason bourne snapping a guys neck and feeling pained by having no other choice but not superman.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 pm

habitual wrote:
:lol: I think you're taking the neck snapping thing a bit too far.

The hysterics over this are a bit overblown imo, a cop would've been justified shooting someone threatening other people's lives, but, when it's Superman it's not ok?

Hab


Exactly. It not like Superman said "I am going to kill this guy"... Zod gave him an ultimatum... Kill me or I kill everyone. He is saying this as he is about to kill a family of 5.

He was fine, people are finding fault are just finding fault for faults sake.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
cops have guns and are trained in this. but i guess superman was also trained in the kansas art of neck snapping by jonathan kent.

it was utterly brutal. i can imagine jason bourne snapping a guys neck and feeling pained by having no other choice but not superman.


It doesn't take much to snap someones neck.. it wasn't utterly brutal. You are being silly.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Herald wrote:
And you're NOT biased, right??


How am I biased? I hate the Nu52 Superman and most of the other titles. I didn't judge the movie until I actually went to see it. You are judging the movie based on someone who wanted their book on Supermans origin on the big screen and didn't get it.

So no, I am not biased. There are quite a few faults with this movie (the first kiss scene being one of them) but that scene is fine.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 pm

For the record, my DC pull list is now zero.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
It doesn't take much to snap someones neck.. it wasn't utterly brutal. You are being silly.


"it doesnt take much to snap someones neck" and "it wasnt utterly brutal".

:lol:

words fail me. breaking a neck is one of the most brutal and callous way to kill someone short of a gore drenched scene because of how fast, efficient and simple it makes killing someone look.

and i stand by that almost every time i've seen a neck snap used in a movie it's by a professional killer.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Next thing you know, people are going to start calling Superman a villain and wanting him to stand trial for murder. Eventually we are going to need a Superman Was Right banner. :smt011
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:18 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
"it doesnt take much to snap someones neck" and "it wasnt utterly brutal".

:lol:

words fail me. breaking a neck is one of the most brutal and callous way to kill someone short of a gore drenched scene because of how fast, efficient and simple it makes killing someone look.

and i stand by that almost every time i've seen a neck snap used in a movie it's by a professional killer.


So you are pro-child killing then?
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Grayson wrote:Next thing you know, people are going to start calling Superman a villain and wanting him to stand trial for murder. Eventually we are going to need a Superman Was Right banner. :smt011


Superman and Cyke: Misunderstood Heroes.

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 pm

It is actually quite difficult to snap someone's neck, not that it really matters in a movie with characters that can be knocked through buildings at hypersonic speeds and shrug it off.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm

MikeinLA wrote:It is actually quite difficult to snap someone's neck, not that it really matters in a movie with characters that can be knocked through buildings at hypersonic speeds and shrug it off.


Well there ya go, still, anyone who didn't wanted Superman to kill Zod wanted to see the Zod kill the children.

And if that's your cup of tea... :smt102
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm

I'll say this; I would prefer the Man of Steel Superman to the current DCnU version any day. :smt102

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Fysh, MSNbot Media, OneWhoIsAll, Stephen Day, Tekton Joe and 38 guests