Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "The Outhousers of Earth Ugh"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:11 am

fieldy snuts wrote:i blame the generation gap. you're just no longer tuned into what's hip and cool anymore thus anything groundbreaking or revolutionary like bendis's work just seems wrong to you because he's daring to break the mould and move past that stagnant stale setting you grew up reading to give us smarter, more intricate and deeper writing than we've ever seen before.

like i said, the man is a revolutionary for how he's managed to stay consistent and fresh for almost a decade on the avengers by constantly trying something new and exploring storytelling from so many different sides.

when people listen to criticism like yours about respecting continuity and things like that it ends up with something like DC pre DCnU.....and now as we can see they're basically reliving the 90's after they tried oh so hard to break the 70's/80's-cross-dark-and-edgy tribute phase that geoff johns and didio put them through during the 2000's.

therefore bendis is saving us from those sort of stories aka the stories your kind of fan wants because the alternative is enough to kill the book side of the industry.


:smt044 :smt043 :smt042 :smt036 :smt082 :lol:
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 am

fieldy snuts wrote:i blame the generation gap. you're just no longer tuned into what's hip and cool anymore thus anything groundbreaking or revolutionary like bendis's work just seems wrong to you because he's daring to break the mould and move past that stagnant stale setting you grew up reading to give us smarter, more intricate and deeper writing than we've ever seen before.

like i said, the man is a revolutionary for how he's managed to stay consistent and fresh for almost a decade on the avengers by constantly trying something new and exploring storytelling from so many different sides.

when people listen to criticism like yours about respecting continuity and things like that it ends up with something like DC pre DCnU.....and now as we can see they're basically reliving the 90's after they tried oh so hard to break the 70's/80's-cross-dark-and-edgy tribute phase that geoff johns and didio put them through during the 2000's.

therefore bendis is saving us from those sort of stories aka the stories your kind of fan wants because the alternative is enough to kill the book side of the industry.


I like a lot of Bendis's work, but, I still know enough to recognize crap when I see it.

And mould is what grows in your shower.

Hab
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:26 am

fieldy snuts wrote:i blame the generation gap. you're just no longer tuned into what's hip and cool anymore thus anything groundbreaking or revolutionary like bendis's work just seems wrong to you because he's daring to break the mould and move past that stagnant stale setting you grew up reading to give us smarter, more intricate and deeper writing than we've ever seen before.

like i said, the man is a revolutionary for how he's managed to stay consistent and fresh for almost a decade on the avengers by constantly trying something new and exploring storytelling from so many different sides.

when people listen to criticism like yours about respecting continuity and things like that it ends up with something like DC pre DCnU.....and now as we can see they're basically reliving the 90's after they tried oh so hard to break the 70's/80's-cross-dark-and-edgy tribute phase that geoff johns and didio put them through during the 2000's.

therefore bendis is saving us from those sort of stories aka the stories your kind of fan wants because the alternative is enough to kill the book side of the industry.


Uh...sure.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am

habitual wrote:And mould is what grows in your shower.

I have mould in my old Hüsker Dü albums.
User avatar

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Amoebas wrote:I have mould in my old Hüsker Dü albums.


Cute pun, I'll grant you that.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Amoebas wrote:For the record - that 'brilliance' is 100% Roy Thomas and 0% Bendis.


Fine, recanted.

is Roy Thomas even around/alive/not Ditko-esqueian reclusive?


I really liked his work on Mar-Vell :/
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:20 pm

I guess old people just dont understand.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 pm

habitual wrote:
I like a lot of Bendis's work, but, I still know enough to recognize crap when I see it.

And mould is what grows in your shower.

Hab


Fortunately, my shower is very clean.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:26 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:i blame the generation gap. you're just no longer tuned into what's hip and cool anymore thus anything groundbreaking or revolutionary like bendis's work just seems wrong to you because he's daring to break the mould and move past that stagnant stale setting you grew up reading to give us smarter, more intricate and deeper writing than we've ever seen before.

like i said, the man is a revolutionary for how he's managed to stay consistent and fresh for almost a decade on the avengers by constantly trying something new and exploring storytelling from so many different sides.

when people listen to criticism like yours about respecting continuity and things like that it ends up with something like DC pre DCnU.....and now as we can see they're basically reliving the 90's after they tried oh so hard to break the 70's/80's-cross-dark-and-edgy tribute phase that geoff johns and didio put them through during the 2000's.

therefore bendis is saving us from those sort of stories aka the stories your kind of fan wants because the alternative is enough to kill the book side of the industry.


Yeah the modern comic reader isn't "hip" they're still mouth breathing cosplayers who live in basements and write erotic fan fiction about the bionic woman and swamp thing. Chap and his ilk are the people the companies would rather be reading their comics. Because even though being "geeky" is chic right now, reading comics still isn't.
User avatar

The Shadow

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby The Shadow » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:54 am

Amoebas wrote:In Avengers #41 (the issue with the gutters where this story takes place) Hank calls the Avengers for help because he only thinks his lab might be where some trouble is. Yet here, Bendis has Hank attacked and wounded and Hank just sits there :smt017

Hank calls Sue Richards, Sue Storm :roll: (to make it worse, Sue is called Richards in the page one recap and then called Storm on the last (waste of a) page who's who icons.

Not to get involved (and I know I'm coming to the party a bit late) but aren't these things an EDITOR should catch if the writer makes the mistake?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 pm

The Shadow wrote:Not to get involved (and I know I'm coming to the party a bit late) but aren't these things an EDITOR should catch if the writer makes the mistake?


The first part not so much, after all, Hank's reactions can vary.

But the thing with Susan-Richards-Storm is just sloppy.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: senwolf and 44 guests