Advertisement

Superman Unchained #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 212 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Superman Unchained #1

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 am

Punchy wrote:
Well, he wasn't sitting on his butt this issue, he was stopping a massive fucking satellite from falling to Earth.

The 'legwork' that Clark does is probably mostly as Superman.

It's only been 1 issue! Perhaps we will see Clark's blog work in more detail, you are jumping the gun so bloody fast here.

So Clark's just going to report on Superman stopping satellites falling to Earth and stuff like that? How is that "crusading journalism?" I doubt that Clark is that narcissistic just to write about himself all of the time.

You miss the point, too. I'm talking about using Clark's job as a reporter as an entry point into stories. It's not that hard of an idea to follow.

a)Perry White sends Clark out to cover a story.
b)Story evolves into something that requires Superman to intervene.

Example: Clark covers a political rally. Rally comes under attack by super-villian. Job for Superman ensues.

Or:

a)Clark is investigating a corrupt businessman.
b)Corrupt businessman hires costumed hitman to wipe out Clark.
c) Hitman attacks Clark.
d)Clark becomes Superman and stops costumed hitman.
e) Clark/Supes figures out how to connect corrupt businessman to costumed hitman, goes after corrupt businessman as Supes.

It's making Clark's job more central to the plot of the story.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:44 am

Juan Cena wrote:
So Clark's just going to report on Superman stopping satellites falling to Earth and stuff like that? How is that "crusading journalism?" I doubt that Clark is that narcissistic just to write about himself all of the time.

You miss the point, too. I'm talking about using Clark's job as a reporter as an entry point into stories. It's not that hard of an idea to follow.

a)Perry White sends Clark out to cover a story.
b)Story evolves into something that requires Superman to intervene.

Example: Clark covers a political rally. Rally comes under attack by super-villian. Job for Superman ensues.

Or:

a)Clark is investigating a corrupt businessman.
b)Corrupt businessman hires costumed hitman to wipe out Clark.
c) Hitman attacks Clark.
d)Clark becomes Superman and stops costumed hitman.
e) Clark/Supes figures out how to connect corrupt businessman to costumed hitman, goes after corrupt businessman as Supes.

It's making Clark's job more central to the plot of the story.

Hey, it works for Peter Parker :smt102

We saw in this very issue that Clark made the story not about Superman, but about the people aboard the satellite, it was called 'Unsung Heroes' or something like that.

And as I said, it's been one issue of this series, Snyder very well may use Clark's blog as a tool to start stories, he may not. It's just the same as working for the Daily Planet, sometimes it was crucial, at others not. In this issue, Superman was only Clark for 2 pages or so.

You're acting ridiculous, you only want Superman stories that fit into your narrow viewpoint, and you want them to do your ideas exactly.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 am

Messed up post. Can't delete it.
Last edited by Juan Cena on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 am

Hey, it works for Peter Parker :smt102

Only because J. Jonah Jameson pays for the photos.

We saw in this very issue that Clark made the story not about Superman, but about the people aboard the satellite, it was called 'Unsung Heroes' or something like that.

It's still Clark's reporting being more reactive than proactive.

And as I said, it's been one issue of this series, Snyder very well may use Clark's blog as a tool to start stories, he may not. It's just the same as working for the Daily Planet, sometimes it was crucial, at others not. In this issue, Superman was only Clark for 2 pages or so.

Only DailyPlanet.com probably is read more than Clark's blog.

You're acting ridiculous, you only want Superman stories that fit into your narrow viewpoint, and you want them to do your ideas exactly

Nieto hack your account there?

Besides, I'm the only poster around here that accusation can be used on, right?

Actually I want stories where Clark's reporting is more central to the story than just being ancillary to it. Not all the time. Just more than once in a blue moon. That should happen more often with three Superman books out.

It just seems funny that writers only want to use Clark when it comes to his personal life as a break between the action, and not as a way to move the plot forward.

- Sons of the Desert

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:12 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Only because J. Jonah Jameson pays for the photos.

It's still Clark's reporting being more reactive than proactive.

Only DailyPlanet.com probably is read more than Clark's blog.

Nieto hack your account there?

Besides, I'm the only poster around here that accusation can be used on, right?

Actually I want stories where Clark's reporting is more central to the story than just being ancillary to it. Not all the time. Just more than once in a blue moon. That should happen more often with three Superman books out.

It just seems funny that writers only want to use Clark when it comes to his personal life as a break between the action, and not as a way to move the plot forward.

IT'S BEEN ONE ISSUE OF SNYDER'S RUN, GIVE HIM A FUCKING CHANCE.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 am

Juan Cena wrote:
First, gold isn't considered legal tender to begin with, so it's a moot point. You can't walk in and drop a $100 gold coin and buy groceries with it. It's considered a commodity.

And even if you could do that, only gold coins minted by the US government would be considered legal tender. So Supes would technically be counterfeiting.
Some GOP-controlled states are trying to make gold legal tender, BTW. They're probably not actually allowed to do that under the Constitution.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1429041-why-using-gold-and-silver-as-legal-tender-is-an-awful-idea

Where did you get counterfeiting coins from what I said? All I said was "melt gold".

And it IS a commodity. One which, like everybody ELSE in this country, he could SELL. For money. Which IS legal tender.

For that matter, Jesus Christ, Nac. You can accept the reality of a fucking space alien who looks so identical to humanity as to pass unnoticed among us, possessing powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men... But the idea that this alien might manage to monetize his blog is where you draw the line? :smt102

And as Punchy said, it's issue one. Maybe give it a couple of issues before we start declaring the sky to have fallen....

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 am

Lord Simian wrote:
Where did you get counterfeiting coins from what I said? All I said was "melt gold".

And it IS a commodity. One which, like everybody ELSE in this country, he could SELL. For money. Which IS legal tender.

I took it as you meant that Supes was melting the gold to change it into a more suitable form, such as gold bars or coins with the purpose of exchanging it for money or products. At least one of those actions (possible both) could fall under the category of counterfeiting. .
As for gold bars...
Bars generally carry lower price premiums than gold bullion coins. However larger bars carry an increased risk of forgery due to their less stringent parameters for appearance. While bullion coins can be easily weighed and measured against known values to confirm their veracity, most bars cannot, and gold buyers often have bars re-assayed. Larger bars also have a greater volume in which to create a partial forgery using a tungsten-filled cavity, which may not be revealed by an assay.[48]

Good delivery bars that are held within the London bullion market (LBMA) system each have a verifiable chain of custody, beginning with the refiner and assayer, and continuing through storage in LBMA recognized vaults. Bars within the LBMA system can be bought and sold easily. If a bar is removed from the vaults and stored outside of the chain of integrity, for example stored at home or in a private vault, it will have to be re-assayed before it can be returned to the LBMA chain. This process is described under the LBMA's "Good Delivery Rules".[49]

The LBMA "traceable chain of custody" includes refiners as well as vaults. Both have to meet their strict guidelines. Bullion products from these trusted refiners are traded at face value by LBMA members without assay testing. By buying bullion from an LBMA member dealer and storing it in an LBMA recognized vault, customers avoid the need of re-assaying or the inconvenience in time and expense it would cost.[50] However this is not 100% sure, for example, Venezuela moved its gold because of the political risk for them, and as the past shows, even in countries considered as democratic and stable, for example in the USA in the 1930s gold was seized by the government and legal moving was banned.[51]

[/quote]

- Sons of the Desert

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 am

I love the implication that anyone who thinks Nac ridiculous must have been hacked by me. I guess every poster at this entire site must be my sockpuppet then, eh Nac?

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:33 am

I, for one, am really fed up with you editing my posts Nieto!

:lol:

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am

Obviously, Clark derives income from the Kent farm, which he rents out to a local farmer. He obviously takes that income and wisely invests that in a diverse portfolio of stocks, bonds, commodities and real estate, which allows him to spend the bulk of his time blogging without having to worry how to monetize his work.

Jesus, guys. Gold bars? Do you know how idiotic you all sound? Is Nac the only person who's done his research on why Superman wouldn't rely on precious metal resale as his primary source of income?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 am

Nac seems to want to take the Super out of the Superman.

Perhaps you should switch to watching The Newsroom?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:32 am

Punchy wrote:Nac seems to want to take the Super out of the Superman.

I'm sure Will McAvoy never has to convert Spanish gold into a more widely accepted currency to pay his rent!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 am

BlueStreak wrote:
I'm sure Will McAvoy never has to convert Spanish gold into a more widely accepted currency to pay his rent!

Episode 5. Wasn't the best, wasn't the worst...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:10 am

BlueStreak wrote:

But we all know for sure that New 52 Superman is part of the worst generation of Americans. Period.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Punchy wrote:Nac seems to want to take the Super out of the Superman.

Now where the heck did you come up with that idea? I just said I'd like to see a story once in a while that develops from Clark actually doing out and covering a story for the Planet or his blog or whatever. Which, by the way used to happen.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand