Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

Guys, remember that you still have 1 week to pledge to my project: http://igg.me/p/413732

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:34 am

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 pm

I didn't know Justin Jordan wrote Shadowman, Did you like it?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:17 am

Arion wrote:I didn't know Justin Jordan wrote Shadowman, Did you like it?

It was pretty good, the main character was pretty vanilla (ironic for a mixed-race hero), but surrounded by a lot of interesting concepts. The artwork by Patrick Zircher was amazing.

It's solid, like all of the Valiant stuff.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm

My campaign is about to reach its conclusion and you can still make a contribution here: http://igg.me/p/413732/x/3203177

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1267 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Arion wrote:My campaign is about to reach its conclusion and you can still make a contribution here: http://igg.me/p/413732/x/3203177

I would love to pitch in but I haven't had a lot of extra spending cash this month. If donations end in 3 days, I'll see what my finances look like at the beginning of the week.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Grayson wrote:
I would love to pitch in but I haven't had a lot of extra spending cash this month. If donations end in 3 days, I'll see what my finances look like at the beginning of the week.

Thanks!
Nothing like Monday to be sure about stuff.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 am

Savage Wolverine vol. 1 by Frank Cho (issues 1-5)

Anything to kill time... This wasn't bad but it's kind of a throwaway story. Not sure if it has any continuity significance but that's good for a wolverine s story. Sets up what could be a cool story but I doubt it'll see the light of day. I would recommend this to someone looking for a light read.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Keb wrote:Savage Wolverine vol. 1 by Frank Cho (issues 1-5)

Anything to kill time... This wasn't bad but it's kind of a throwaway story. Not sure if it has any continuity significance but that's good for a wolverine s story. Sets up what could be a cool story but I doubt it'll see the light of day. I would recommend this to someone looking for a light read.

I hav enjoyed Savage Wolverine, I don't know why it gets so criticized.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:Finished reading Dragonball vol. 1-3. I'm not a huge anime/manga fan by any means, but I have always had a soft spot for Akira Toriyama's stuff. The thing I like about Dragonball is how goofy it is in comparison to Dragonball Z which tends to be a lot more serious the majority of the time. Definitely a fun read.

I have only read the DBZ comic but I loved the world set up in the Dragon Ball cartoon. There were futuristic cars, dinosaurs, talking animals, etc. So cool! :D

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Outlaw Territory v.1 – Western anthology, just ok, no really good stories. There was only one really bad one, didn’t get the story and the art was super bad.

Most of them were a real bummer and there was one gruesome panel with a guy with an arrow through his neck that was getting scalped.

Mystique by McKeaver – This was ok, thing that hurt it was that I couldn’t really get behind Mystique. I was unsure of her characterization. And the reveal of the bad guy was very underwhelming, it’d been a while since I read the last volume so I’d put that character out of my mind. And only showed up for a bit. :smt102

Art was good, Manuel Garcia!

Thor by Fraction v.3 – Didn’t like this as much as the previous volumes. Thor didn’t come off as a dumb guy but pretty close. Really liked the art, some guy I hadn’t heard of.

Fraction really fucked up Donald Blake, might have worked but it was just so random and came out of nowhere.

EDIT-Oh, also, Fantomex shows up in Mystique and he was pretty fun.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm

misac wrote:Outlaw Territory v.1 – Western anthology, just ok, no really good stories. There was only one really bad one, didn’t get the story and the art was super bad.

Most of them were a real bummer and there was one gruesome panel with a guy with an arrow through his neck that was getting scalped.

Mystique by McKeaver – This was ok, thing that hurt it was that I couldn’t really get behind Mystique. I was unsure of her characterization. And the reveal of the bad guy was very underwhelming, it’d been a while since I read the last volume so I’d put that character out of my mind. And only showed up for a bit. :smt102

Art was good, Manuel Garcia!

Thor by Fraction v.3 – Didn’t like this as much as the previous volumes. Thor didn’t come off as a dumb guy but pretty close. Really liked the art, some guy I hadn’t heard of.

Fraction really fucked up Donald Blake, might have worked but it was just so random and came out of nowhere.

EDIT-Oh, also, Fantomex shows up in Mystique and he was pretty fun.

I've never read that Mystique title but I'd like to.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 pm

BKV launched that Mystique title, didn't he?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Keb wrote:BKV launched that Mystique title, didn't he?

When he wasn't as famous as he is now.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Speaking of BKV...

Saga Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

This series is all kinds of awesome and the first trade is seriously one of the best things Image put out in the last year. This trade is great in that it picks right up from the last one's cliffhanger and does a great job introducing us to Marko's family. Barr was such a great grandfather figure. Reminded me of my uncles and their grandkids. Loved the relationship between him and Alana. Despite all the weird shit space travel and blowjob TV faces, this book is such a family values book and I enjoy it for that most.

Secret Avengers by Rick Remender Vol. 2 by Remender, Renato Guedes and Matteo Scalera

No hobo piss. Hated the AvX tie-in but loved the continuation of the main story. Shame that its ending next volume. Thought the AvX story was pretty boring and could have been any throwaway Avengers story. Liked that he got to use Thor here as I like Thor in Uncanny Avengers. Was happy that he got to expand on the Mikel Fury story introduced in 21.1 and the Serpent Crown stuff.Was nice to see some of the Punisher baddies pop up again too. Love Venom in this series and he writes a good Ant-Man and Widow. This is a good under the radar series for Remender. Matteo Scalera is great on the art too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand