Advertisement

Man of Steel is Man of $$$$

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 am

Man of Steel made $125 million at the box office this weekend, shocking everyone at DC Comics.

Source: THR

Man of Steel finally hit theaters on Father's Day weekend, bringing in over $125 million domestically and setting a record for June openings, previously held by Toy Story 3. The film marks a successful relaunch for the Superman franchise, and a sequel has already been announced by Warner Bros. The Outhouse spoke to fictional versions of top DC Comics executives to get their reaction to the good news.

"Look, it's a tough business," said a deflated Dan Didio, Co-Publisher of DC Comics. "You try to make the best movie you can, and you just hope people like it. Sometimes, things don't go as... wait a minute. It made how much?"

We told him that the movie was an undeniable success, with a worldwide gross so far of $196 million.

"Woohoo!" shouted a shocked and excited Didio. "It didn't bomb! Oh happy day!"

He sprang up from his desk and smooched us right on the lips, and then took off skipping down the hallways of DC's offices, handing out Christmas turkeys to all the editorial staff and interns he encountered. We headed down the hallway ourselves to an office marked Editor in Chief and knocked on the door.

"Go away!" came a voice from inside. "There's no one here!"

We knocked again, and told Bob Harras that Man of Steel took the number one spot at the box office. The door sprang open and an exuberant Harras came bounding out.

"No way!" Harras said skeptically.

"Way," we insisted.

"So it's true," Harras told us. "If you believe something hard enough, and you wish and you wish and you wish, all of your dreams will come true!"

Well, there's probably more to it than that. We told Harras that hard work and quality storytelling, more than anything else, is likely to lead to... we noticed he had closed his eyes and seemed to be concentrating. He opened them a moment later, looked around, and became very sad. We asked him what was wrong.

"I was just wishing really hard for a grilled cheese sandwich," said a very disappointed Harras. "But I don't see it. You lied to me."

What? We didn't... Harras went back into his office and slammed the door. We moved on to the office of Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. Johns was leaning back at his desk and playing with superhero action figures.

"Mwah mwah mwah," Johns said in a falsetto as he pressed a Superman doll against a Wonder Woman one. "Kissy kissy kissy..."

We decided to leave him alone and visit Co-Publisher Jim Lee instead. We asked him if he was happy that Man of Steel was a rousing success.

"What?!" asked a stunned Lee. "No! No, that can't be!"

We were confused. Shouldn't Lee be excited about the corporate victory.

"You don't understand," Lee explained. "I'm writing a Superman book right now, Superman Unchained."

And this should be good for the book. More people seeing the Superman movie means more people will buy Superman comics.

"That's just it!" said Lee. "I've already drawn one, maybe two issues of this thing. I've about reached my limit. I was hoping to quietly slip away after the third issue and get back to whatever it is I do when I'm not drawing comic books, which is a curiously large ammount of the time considering I'm technically a comic book artist."

Well, maybe it would be nice to keep drawing one for a while, for a change.

"But it's so much work," Lee complained. "Do you know how long it takes to draw a four way foldout poster of Superman punching a spaceship?"

Maybe he could just draw, you know, regular pages.

"Hahahahaha!" laughed Lee, tears streaming from his eyes. "Hahahahaha!"

Well, alright then. We took our leave, but we left DC's offices for the first time in months feeling slightly proud of our friends at the beleaguered comic book publisher. They may be childish, defensive, bumbling, and often unintentionally bigoted idiots, but they're our childish, defensive, bumbling, unintentionally bigoted idiots, and, today at least, they can say that DC's flagship superhero is starring in the number one movie in the world.

Congrats, DC. Now don't fuck it up.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: Man of Steel is Man of $$$$

Postby GOSD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 am

Excellent!

Going to see it again...

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 616 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

GOSD wrote:Excellent!

Going to see it again...

Me too!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1096 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am

Now the Schuster and Siegel decedents will sue for the money fersure. :smt011
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

bkthomson

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Now the Schuster and Siegel decedents will sue for the money fersure. :smt011

No bet on that
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1096 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:58 am

Those greedy old bats need to learn from Alan Moore.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand