Advertisement

DC Reveals Reason They Canceled Legion: Justice League 3000

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1027 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: DC Reveals Reason They Canceled Legion: Justice League 3

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 am

Juan Cena wrote:
He never planned to get into comics, though. It just kind of happened.
The *how* of it doesn't matter. He honed his craft and made his name as a comics writer.

I admire your resolve, but you are 100% wrong in this instance. :lol:
-

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 am

BlueStreak wrote:I've always viewed a "Hollywood spank" as a high-profile writer brought in from Hollywood to write Hollywood projects while remaining primarily involved in other mediums.

I wouldn't consider Johns, whose pre-2005 credits were as an assistant to the director and whose first comics were largely secondary titles and who made his living in comics for over a decade before venturing back into Hollywood as a representative of WB, in that same vein.
Brad Meltzer, Jodi Picoult, Marc Guggenheim, Kevin Smith (as Cat-Scratch correctly pointed out), etc.
-

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 am

outsider wrote:The *how* of it doesn't matter. He honed his craft and made his name as a comics writer.

According to Nac, he realized that the only way he'd succeed in Hollywood would be to write comics like JSA, Stars and STRIPES and the Flash, climb the ladder at DC, and then reemerge as an executive working with other entertainment divisions. In Nac's mind, Geoff Johns is a scheming mastermind who would ruin any D-list franchise in order to crawl his way back into the vague graces of Hollywood.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 am

BlueStreak wrote:
According to Nac, he realized that the only way he'd succeed in Hollywood would be to write comics like JSA, Stars and STRIPES and the Flash, climb the ladder at DC, and then reemerge as an executive working with other entertainment divisions. In Nac's mind, Geoff Johns is a scheming mastermind who would ruin any D-list franchise in order to crawl his way back into the vague graces of Hollywood.

He's also Wingman.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 am

outsider wrote:The *how* of it doesn't matter. He honed his craft and made his name as a comics writer.

It's still at times seems more as a means to an end for him. If the opportunity arose to develop a film or TV series, I'm sure he'd quit the management job at DC in no time, and put comics on the backburner.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am

nietoperz wrote:
He's also Wingman.

That or the JL3K Flash.

And no, I'm not the first one to suggest that.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 am

Juan Cena wrote:
It's still at times seems more as a means to an end for him. If the opportunity arose to develop a film or TV series, I'm sure he'd quit the management job at DC in no time, and put comics on the backburner.
I do not possess telepathy (although I am telepathetic at times), so his motivation or career goals are irrelevant. The only truly big time 'Hollywood' gig he's had in his entire career was an abysmal failure/disappointment. Comics are his bread & butter. Now he just needs to go to Boom! or another non-Big-2 company and get back to writing good stories without corporate branding nonsense.
-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 am

outsider wrote:I do not possess telepathy (although I am telepathetic at times), so his motivation or career goals are irrelevant. The only truly big time 'Hollywood' gig he's had in his entire career was an abysmal failure/disappointment. Comics are his bread & butter. Now he just needs to go to Boom! or another non-Big-2 company and get back to writing good stories without corporate branding nonsense.

The GL film was a disaster, but not a career killer. It didn't stop Johns from writing scripts for Arrow last season.

I find it hard to believe that Johns would put his Hollywood dreams on hold forever just to be a DC exec.

- Sons of the Desert

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am

Juan Cena wrote:

The GL film was a disaster, but not a career killer. It didn't stop Johns from writing scripts for Arrow last season.

I find it hard to believe that Johns would put his Hollywood dreams on hold forever just to be a DC exec.
I didn't say Johns's career in Hollywood is dead, just that it's not his primary area of employ, as you were claiming. He's a comics writer that does some work in Hollywood.

Now if you wanted to get into hardcore comics comparisons, you might have some ground to stand on. Johns is nowhere near the same levels of "comic book" creator as John Byrne, Kurt Busiek, Alan Moore, etc. but he's getting closer each day (for good and bad, lol).
-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 am

outsider wrote:I didn't say Johns's career in Hollywood is dead, just that it's not his primary area of employ, as you were claiming. He's a comics writer that does some work in Hollywood.

Now if you wanted to get into hardcore comics comparisons, you might have some ground to stand on. Johns is nowhere near the same levels of "comic book" creator as John Byrne, Kurt Busiek, Alan Moore, etc. but he's getting closer each day (for good and bad, lol).

That doesn't mean that comics are going to be his primary focus forever and ever.

Do I think Johns would dump his DC exec job if the chance arose for him to develop a project for TV or film? Yes. I doubt anyone in his position wouldn't jump at the chance to do the same if they were in his shoes.

- Sons of the Desert

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am

Juan Cena wrote:
That doesn't mean that comics are going to be his primary focus forever and ever.

Do I think Johns would dump his DC exec job if the chance arose for him to develop a project for TV or film? Yes. I doubt anyone in his position wouldn't jump at the chance to do the same if they were in his shoes.
How dare anyone try and do well for themselves!

Go get 'em, Huey Long! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am

Can you all just stop for a minute. Look at what your are typing and think in the grand scheme of things does it really matter?
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:58 am

bkthomson wrote:Can you all just stop for a minute. Look at what your are typing and think in the grand scheme of things does it really matter?
My posts will totes be the digital inspiration for a new era's Ozymandias & Percy Bysshe Shelley.
-

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm just curious how Nac knows so much about Johns' career aspirations. I'd be more inclined to believe that Johns is one pilot episode away from tossing aside the shackles and abandoning WB if there was an interview or something to back that line of thought.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I'm just curious how Nac knows so much about Johns' career aspirations. I'd be more inclined to believe that Johns is one pilot episode away from tossing aside the shackles and abandoning WB if there was an interview or something to back that line of thought.
Clearly Johns has moved from The Flash to JSA to Superman to Green Lantern to Aquaman to JLA because he hates writing comics but realizes it's his only way to HOLLYWOOD.
-

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand