Advertisement

Green Lantern: New Guardians 21 (Spoilers eventually)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Green Lantern: New Guardians 21 (Spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm

So I bit the bullet and decided to buy a New 52 title. I miss reading about Kyle Rayner (Haven't read a title featuring him--let alone a Green Lantern title--since Blackest Night), so I thought it might be worth jumping on.

If I wanted to give you an example of an utterly average comic, I'd show you Green Lantern: New Guardians 21. The art was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. The story was fun sci-fi type stuff, but you could pretty much drop any character into Kyle's shoes and lose nothing. The main reason I enjoyed Ron Marz's Kyle when I started reading in the 90s was the focus on his personal life balanced with his superheroic adventures. There's a scene where Kyle--in conversation with Carol Ferris--actually packs up his apartment and basically says he'll be doing the superhero thing full-time. So, seriously, what's here to like?

Please tell me someone else enjoyed this. I'll be rereading the comic soon and would love to come at it from a new perspective that might remind me of why I like Kyle in the first place.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Green Lantern: New Guardians 21 (Spoilers eventually)

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Kyle hasn't had a double life since Ion maxi-series. Ever since his mom died he's been full-on with the GLC.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm

By the way is Kyle still with Soranik or has she ended up like his previous girlfriends by now?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 386 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:00 pm

draco x wrote:By the way is Kyle still with Soranik or has she ended up like his previous girlfriends by now?

Fridged? Say it ain't so!!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Fridged? Say it ain't so!!

Wouldn't be surprised as any woman who ends up being Kyle's girlfriend suffers a horrible fate.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:13 pm

draco x wrote:By the way is Kyle still with Soranik or has she ended up like his previous girlfriends by now?

No. She's still alive, but during War of the Green Lanterns they broke up. The reasons for the break-up were pretty much Soranik along with GLs others attempted to kill Sinestro with Kyle standing in their way. Then pretty much afterward, they continued the argument and Kyle said the unfortunate words of, "Back off talking to my girlfriend." Soranik then really got pissed and dumped Kyle then and there.

It was really stupid, and since then Soranik has been regulated to cameo appearances here and there.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Zechs wrote:
No. She's still alive, but during War of the Green Lanterns they broke up. The reasons for the break-up were pretty much Soranik along with GLs others attempted to kill Sinestro with Kyle standing in their way. Then pretty much afterward, they continued the argument and Kyle said the unfortunate words of, "Back off talking to my girlfriend." Soranik then really got pissed and dumped Kyle then and there.

It was really stupid, and since then Soranik has been regulated to cameo appearances here and there.

I suspect Soranik will end up being killed very soon like Alex, Donna and Jade at some point as we all know Kyle's girlfriend's always end up getting it.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:17 pm

draco x wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised as any woman who ends up being Kyle's girlfriend suffers a horrible fate.

Pregnant? :P
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm

draco x wrote:
I suspect Soranik will end up being killed very soon like Alex, Donna and Jade at some point as we all know Kyle's girlfriend's always end up getting it.

The funny thing is I thought she got New 52ed to make Sinestro "younger", but she showed up during First Lantern crossover. I doubt she'll be killed due to being Kyle's gf more because DC just craves more death.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Zechs wrote:

:-(

She was a great new version of Katma Tui without the baggage... okay new "daddy issues" baggage.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:49 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote: The art was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. The story was fun sci-fi type stuff, but you could pretty much drop any character into Kyle's shoes and lose nothing.

This title will focus on Kyle and the Templar Guardians (also adding additional meaning to "New Guardians") as something of a space exploration series. I suspect his White Lantern status will factor in so he's not as interchangeable as it may look so far.

Personally I liked the art this issue.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Zechs wrote:

well before the reboot, they broke up because Kyle didn't see her when the Star Sapphire showed him his true love, he saw Jade...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 606 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm

e_galston wrote:well before the reboot, they broke up because Kyle didn't see her when the Star Sapphire showed him his true love, he saw Jade...

I wonder how that works out now that Jade doesn't exist anymore...

I stopped reading Green Lantern Corps after the first arc and Green Lantern New Guardians after the Zero issue. Have they referenced Kyle's relationship with Soranik at all? Come to think of it, have they referenced Soranik's connection to Sinestro in the New 52?! :smt017
ImageImageImage

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Grayson wrote:
I wonder how that works out now that Jade doesn't exist anymore...

I stopped reading Green Lantern Corps after the first arc and Green Lantern New Guardians after the Zero issue. Have they referenced Kyle's relationship with Soranik at all? Come to think of it, have they referenced Soranik's connection to Sinestro in the New 52?! :smt017

they really haven't referenced her that much, she's been in group shots and background stuff... i think the latest issue of GLC has some focus on her...

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Zechs wrote:
The funny thing is I thought she got New 52ed to make Sinestro "younger", but she showed up during First Lantern crossover. I doubt she'll be killed due to being Kyle's gf more because DC just craves more death.

So she escaped the obvious Kyle curse then?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand