Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Marvel bought Angela from Neil Gaiman

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 am

At least thats what Ricch says:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/19/ ... he-galaxy/

well, that sure is one way to stick it to mcfarlane :lol:

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 am

Makes sense -- I mean, let's be honest. It's not as if Neil Gaiman was going to self-publish an Angela series.

I wish this kind of thing happened more often, both ways. It's unfortunate that corporate America and trademark zealots simply won't allow for characters who clearly are no longer in a company's plans aren't simply bid out for auction.

It's OK to not want to use Ted Kord, for instance. But if you have no plans to do so, why not just sell them or let them go into the public domain so someone else can?

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 am

That surprises me if true. I always assumed the reason Angela is going to show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic was so she would make the transition to the Marvel Movieverse, giving Gaiman a nice payday in royalties.

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 am

I imagine they did this just to keep on his good side and entice him to work for them in the future...I mean they can't really think anybody gives a shit about "Angela" can they?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 am

MikeinLA wrote:That surprises me if true. I always assumed the reason Angela is going to show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic was so she would make the transition to the Marvel Movieverse, giving Gaiman a nice payday in royalties.

I'd make a guess that Gaiman would've made sure that he would receive royalties from the use of Angela in the deal after the sale.

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 am

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 am

Neil Gaiman has no way to monetise the character otherwise short of writing an Angela comic himself which is clearly not something he wants to do. This was Marvel don't have the Rom/Fu Manchu problem again, and Gaiman gets money from his useless rights.

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am

They could always have Angela fight Nightwatch. :groucho:

leave a comment with facebook