Advertisement

Marvel bought Angela from Neil Gaiman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Marvel bought Angela from Neil Gaiman

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 am

At least thats what Ricch says:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/19/ ... he-galaxy/

well, that sure is one way to stick it to mcfarlane :lol:

Advertisement

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Marvel bought Angela from Neil Gaiman

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 am

Makes sense -- I mean, let's be honest. It's not as if Neil Gaiman was going to self-publish an Angela series.

I wish this kind of thing happened more often, both ways. It's unfortunate that corporate America and trademark zealots simply won't allow for characters who clearly are no longer in a company's plans aren't simply bid out for auction.

It's OK to not want to use Ted Kord, for instance. But if you have no plans to do so, why not just sell them or let them go into the public domain so someone else can?

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 am

That surprises me if true. I always assumed the reason Angela is going to show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic was so she would make the transition to the Marvel Movieverse, giving Gaiman a nice payday in royalties.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 56 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 am

I imagine they did this just to keep on his good side and entice him to work for them in the future...I mean they can't really think anybody gives a shit about "Angela" can they?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 am

MikeinLA wrote:That surprises me if true. I always assumed the reason Angela is going to show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic was so she would make the transition to the Marvel Movieverse, giving Gaiman a nice payday in royalties.

I'd make a guess that Gaiman would've made sure that he would receive royalties from the use of Angela in the deal after the sale.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 am

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 am

Neil Gaiman has no way to monetise the character otherwise short of writing an Angela comic himself which is clearly not something he wants to do. This was Marvel don't have the Rom/Fu Manchu problem again, and Gaiman gets money from his useless rights.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am

They could always have Angela fight Nightwatch. :groucho:

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand