Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #12 (Your death is the reason I exist Sp

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Superior Spider-Man #12 (Your death is the reason I exist Sp

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am

Another excellent issue of Superior Spidey, this series is just so consistently good. Although, there was nothing truly momentous or shocking that happened in this issue, so maybe it wasn’t quite as good as usual. But then I suppose this is the mark of how good this storyline has been, that Slott and Gage aren’t having to resort to using shocks and twists all the timeto keep us interested in Doc Ock as Spider-Man. This is actually a fairly standard Spider-Man story, just with a different Spider-Man in the middle of it. THIS IS THE STATUS QUO NOW PEOPLE, DEAL WITH IT.

Ahem, anyways, this issue picks up where #11 left off, with SpOck attempting to stop the Spider-Slayer from escaping from prison. There were lots of cool moments here, but I think the best was the decision to focus on J. Jonah Jameson. He gets the opening narration, which is rare I think, there can’t be too many times we’ve seen inside his crazy head. Spider-Slayer of course killed his wife Marla so the stakes here for Jonah are very high. The scene where tells Spider-Man that he has his permission to kill Smythe was very powerful stuff. I continue to really enjoy the different methods Otto Octavious is utilising to combat crime in comparison to Peter Parker, such as using a force-field to protect innocent bystanders and to stop them from being used as hostages or bait. It’s rare to see a superhero think ‘big picture’ like this and it’s cool to see. Of course, there are down sides to being an ex-super-villain. I loved how SpOck’s slipping into casual villain expositing led to Smythe discovering how he was stopping him, but I loved even more that it was a deliberate tactic on Spider-Man’s part. The guy’s a genius!

Camuncoli’s artwork looked a little odd this issue for some reason, maybe it was the dual inkers? I dunno, but this wasn’t his best stuff. I do love the new Smythe-inspired looks for Scorpion, Vulture and Boomerang though. Given that this issue was tightly focused on the goings-on at The Raft, most of Slott’s other subplots were absent in this issue, apart from one, The Lizard. During the power-outage, he was set free, which sets things up nicely for part 3 of this story. The cover to #13 has him fighting side-by-side with Spider-Man, but I’m sure there’s going to be a fake-out somewhere in there. Will SpOck actually kill Smythe? I can’t wait to find out.

Advertisement

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 256 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Superior Spider-Man #12 (Your death is the reason I exis

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am

I really do enjoy Ock's grandiose style as Spider-Man. It's not what people (well, I) expected when a villain took over his body; it's much better.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand