Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers 9 (breakups2makeups spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Uncanny Avengers 9 (breakups2makeups spoilers)

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Too much talking heads in this issue but it felt like a genuinely good, long read. Expected the split to happen and figured that Alex would ditch the mutants (and Thor). Things were a little too predictable. I'm getting sick of the humans vs. mutants thing and I hope this little squabble gets resolved in the Ragnarok Now story. I'm still enjoying the Apocalypse Twins and I hope they stick around for a bit. I would like to know how everything will fit together but I like that this issue built up a lot of anticipation for a fight between the two splinter groups and the twins and the new horsemen. If it doesn't happen, Remender is getting hobo piss delivered to his door.

I hope Rogue is a skrull or something. She's terrible in this book. Its like she was dropped in from the 90s but just dipped in a bucket of annoying.

Acuna took a step down in art quality though. Hopefully he's done soon. I'm getting tired of his shit.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Re: Uncanny Avengers 9 (breakups2makeups spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Keb wrote:Too much talking heads in this issue but it felt like a genuinely good, long read. Expected the split to happen and figured that Alex would ditch the mutants (and Thor). Things were a little too predictable. I'm getting sick of the humans vs. mutants thing and I hope this little squabble gets resolved in the Ragnarok Now story. I'm still enjoying the Apocalypse Twins and I hope they stick around for a bit. I would like to know how everything will fit together but I like that this issue built up a lot of anticipation for a fight between the two splinter groups and the twins and the new horsemen. If it doesn't happen, Remender is getting hobo piss delivered to his door.

I hope Rogue is a skrull or something. She's terrible in this book. Its like she was dropped in from the 90s but just dipped in a bucket of annoying.

Acuna took a step down in art quality though. Hopefully he's done soon. I'm getting tired of his shit.

Did they ever resolve the Red Skull Onslaught and the new Horsemen( Namely Daken, Banshee, Grim Reaper and Sentry) things or are those still ongoing?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 pm

draco x wrote:
Did they ever resolve the Red Skull Onslaught and the new Horsemen( Namely Daken, Banshee, Grim Reaper and Sentry) things or are those still ongoing?

The new Horsemen debut here.

Onslaught is still coming. Red Skull appeared in X-Men Legacy though.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
The new Horsemen debut here.

Onslaught is still coming. Red Skull appeared in X-Men Legacy though.

Ok. Thanks.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:45 pm

draco x wrote:

The horsemen are dead heroes and villains that you listed who have had celestial death seeds shoved into them. The twins are using a life seed to control them. They have yet to face the Avengers. Next issue. Red Skull Onslaught was mentioned in the Age of Ultron tie-in. The twins grew up in a world where he ruled or something.

Remender is putting things together slowly.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:09 am

For me, the best part of this issue was Captain America finally calling out Wolverine for all of his shit. That and even though I HATE Remender's depiction of Rogue, I loved seeing her throw "No More Mutants" back in Wanda's face while Wanda was going off on her tangent. I really hope that a universe wide apology is coming to Scott Summers soon.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 am

Had no love for Cap's self-righteous BS towards Wolverine. Cap assembled the Secret Avengers and even added a known killer to the team (Venom) and they did all kinds of silly shit under Hawkeye (criminal). He's not exactly perfect. Hell he even let his trigger happy partner Bucky take his mantle for a while.

Beast and Kitty both knew that what X-Force was doing was a necessary evil. Its pretty obvious Logan lives by a different code and that's one of the reasons he lands on teams like the X-men and Avengers.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am

Keb you forgot everything involving Cap and Red Hulk.

Double standard thy name is Steve Rogers. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:53 am

THE FUCKING SENTRY IS BACK OH YES.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 am

doombug wrote:Keb you forgot everything involving Cap and Red Hulk.

Double standard thy name is Steve Rogers. :lol:

Yeah he's been on a self-righteous tip since AvX. First in New Avengers and now here. It's gonna happen in Avengers too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

This was a strange issue of Uncanny Avengers. There were parts of it I really loved, like the truth of X-Force coming out, Daniel Acuna’s art, the insane cosmic scale of the Apocalypse Twins, Wonder Man being a pacifist bad-ass, the split of the team and the reveal of just who the new Horsemen are, but there was one scene here I really didn’t like.

Most of this issue is taken up with a big conversation between most of the team in the Danger Room about Havok’s big speech in #5. About how Havok was wrong, about how he shouldn’t have told mutants to assimilate. If this sounds familiar, it’s because it’s exactly what many fans and comics bloggers said. This whole comic felt like a big rebuttal to Comics Alliance and it really took me out of the story. Now, maybe I’m wrong and Remender always planned to address this stuff even without Tumblr outrage, but I dunno. I just feel like doing something like this within a comic is only going to fuel the constantly outraged contingent amongst comics fans and cause them to piss and moan even more than before because they’ve seen it can be effective. I just want Remender to tell his story and not care about what the critics think. Mutantdom is a metaphor, he should not be pilloried for interpreting it differently from someone else.

But whatever, let’s talk about the good stuff. I mentioned Wonder Man already, but let’s do it again, he was great in this issue, first in the return of his friendship with Beast, and then in his pacifist way of defeating Hydra, that was a truly great moment. Perhaps my only real problem with Bendis’ Avengers was how he treated Wonder Man, so I’m very pleased to see Remender bring him back to being a great hero. The exposition-dump that Captain America got from Immortus was also very interesting, seven timelines? What?

And finally, the new Horsemen, who are Grim Reaper, Banshee, Daken and The Sentry. The fucking Sentry! He’s been gone since Siege and now he’s back as a Horseman! This is the coolest. Bringing back Grim Reaper and Daken is also excellent and means the Horsemen have a real connection to the team. Daken is Wolverine’s son and was killed by him, Grim Reaper is Wonder Man’s brother and was killed by Rogue. Banshee is the only one I’m unsure of, is Remender going to bring Siryn into the book? Or is it because Havok’s brother Vulcan killed him? Now that I think about it, Thor was the one who struck the fatal blow on Sentry wasn’t he? Each of these Horsemen have a vendetta, it’s going to be awesome to see it play out.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Rogue has been off since issue 1. I'm starting to think she was editorially pushed on Remender at this point.

Does she read this badly in Wood's new book?

If we didn't have years of character evolution in the Legacy book I don't think it would be as jarring as it's been here. And it's one of my only issues with the book, Remender is certainly a better writer than this. He's not one to get a characters voice wrong.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Grayson wrote: I HATE Remender's depiction of Rogue, I loved seeing her throw "No More Mutants" back in Wanda's face while Wanda was going off on her tangent.

Does the crazy cover scene happen in the book ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Does the crazy cover scene happen in the book ?

Not really. They go at it verbally though. Wanda basically defends a speech that Havok made earlier in the series revolving around the word "mutant" while Rogue disagrees with her and calls her out on it.
ImageImageImage

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1015 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Keb wrote:Had no love for Cap's self-righteous BS towards Wolverine. Cap assembled the Secret Avengers and even added a known killer to the team (Venom) and they did all kinds of silly shit under Hawkeye (criminal). He's not exactly perfect. Hell he even let his trigger happy partner Bucky take his mantle for a while.

Beast and Kitty both knew that what X-Force was doing was a necessary evil. Its pretty obvious Logan lives by a different code and that's one of the reasons he lands on teams like the X-men and Avengers.

Venom joined after Cap left, IIRC.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand