Advertisement

Green Lantern: New Guardians 21 (Spoilers eventually)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Green Lantern: New Guardians 21 (Spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
This title will focus on Kyle and the Templar Guardians (also adding additional meaning to "New Guardians") as something of a space exploration series. I suspect his White Lantern status will factor in so he's not as interchangeable as it may look so far.

Personally I liked the art this issue.

Yeah, but the connection is just powers-based. Give John or Guy the White Lantern's powers and I'm pretty sure things would have proceeded in a similar.

Do you think you'll stick with the series? Were you reading it before Jordan took over?

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Zechs wrote:Kyle hasn't had a double life since Ion maxi-series. Ever since his mom died he's been full-on with the GLC.

I know he's been in space full-time since then, but he still had a personal life with his relationship with Soranik Natu. Has there been an attempt to give Kyle a personal life in the New 52? I haven't read any New Guardians until today.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 478 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I know he's been in space full-time since then, but he still had a personal life with his relationship with Soranik Natu. Has there been an attempt to give Kyle a personal life in the New 52? I haven't read any New Guardians until today.

kyle has been focused first on stopping a big villain in the first arc, and then learning how to wield the entire spectrum. They did kind of hint at him rekindling with his father in the last issue..

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 am

e_galston wrote:
kyle has been focused first on stopping a big villain in the first arc, and then learning how to wield the entire spectrum. They did kind of hint at him rekindling with his father in the last issue..

OK, that makes sense. Is it worth going back and reading some other issues with New 52 Kyle? Does the Zero Issue make any significant changes to his origin?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
OK, that makes sense. Is it worth going back and reading some other issues with New 52 Kyle? Does the Zero Issue make any significant changes to his origin?

When Kyle was recruited to the GLC, it wasn't as the last one, there was a flashback to him being given a tour of an Oa that was still full of alive GLs.

But he was still given his ring by Ganthet in an alleyway.

It's confusing, it seems like they retconned out Hal going evil, but they also didn't at the same time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:17 pm

I think this was the best of the 3 new creative teams for the Green Lantern titles I read, and since both GL and GLC were good, that means that I thought this was better than good! Kyle has always been my favourite Lantern, so I’m automatically biased towards his series, but I think this is a cool new direction for the character and I like how this book now has a name that actually makes sense.

You see, Kyle Rayner is now in charge of looking after the new Guardians Of The Universe and they try and learn about the Universe and to avoid the mistakes their evil predecessors made. It’s a cool hook that spins out of past events, and since Kyle has history with befriending little blue smurfs, it fits. And of course, Kyle is now the White Lantern, which I feel is not being discussed enough, it’s awesome and it makes Kyle into something really special, not just another GL. In this issue Kyle initially refuses Hal’s suggestion of this job, but eventually accepts. I think it was interesting to see Hal Jordan attempt to reason and not be a hot-head, this is the best evidence I’ve seen so far that he’s maturing now that he’s the head of the Corps. Plus, Space-Sharks!

I recently read Justin Jordan’s first arc of Shadowman for Valiant and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I’m glad to see his DC stuff is just as good, the dialogue is strong and Kyle Rayner felt like Kyle Rayner should. I think the strongest scene in terms of the writing was the conversation between Kyle and Carol Ferris. I liked the alliance that they struck up during Bedard’s run, so it was cool to see that return. I wonder if DC would ever have them get together? That would cause some friction between Kyle and Hal! But then again, everyone who dates Kyle has to die, and I don’t think DC would kill off Carol at this point.

The closing scene with Kyle and the Guardians at the Anomaly was pretty good also, although it was odd to have a Kirbyesque space-villain called Exeter, that’s a historic English city! Brad Walker’s artwork was very strong throughout this issue, I’ve been a fan of his since his work with Busiek on Superman a few years ago, he just delivers solid superhero artwork with a great kinetic feel and can handle any type of story a writer throws at him. Here he gets to draw space-sharks and cosmic cysts and other epic stuff. I hope he gets a nice long run on this book.

I found it interesting that it’s this book that features the first appearance of Relic, the big new Green Lantern villain, that shows that these books are still going to be connected, and maybe that GLC and New Guardians will be more than just ancillary titles. But even if this stays as a side-book, it’s still worth reading, great art, a new take on a fun character and a promising new writer.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand