Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers 9 (breakups2makeups spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Uncanny Avengers 9 (breakups2makeups spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 pm

doombug wrote:Rogue has been off since issue 1. I'm starting to think she was editorially pushed on Remender at this point.

Does she read this badly in Wood's new book?

If we didn't have years of character evolution in the Legacy book I don't think it would be as jarring as it's been here. And it's one of my only issues with the book, Remender is certainly a better writer than this. He's not one to get a characters voice wrong.

no in both X-Men and Cable and X-Force (where the Uncanny Avengers team has shown up) she is "normal"

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 981 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

HNutz wrote:Venom joined after Cap left, IIRC.

And wasn't that particular Venom, Flash Thompson? I haven't actually read his series, so I don't know, but is the Flash Thompson Venom a killer?
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Venom was added to the team after Cap put Hawkeye in charge (bro), but was added at Cap's endorsement.

I haven't read Remender Venom yet but I think its hinted at that he did some shit in the Marines. He did lose his legs and he shows some signs of guilt in the series. Plus he goes a bit over the edge and almost kills the clown dude in the serpent crown story.

Edit: Flash hasn't killed but the suit did shove a live grenade into Jack O'Lantern's mouth.
Last edited by Keb on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Keb wrote:Plus he goes a bit over the edge and almost kills the clown dude in the serpent crown story.

The first rule of living in a comic universe should be: Never trust a clown dude.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Flash Venom is only a 'killer' if you consider soldiers who kill enemy soldiers in battle to be 'killers'.

He probably accidentally killed some people when Venom took over, but apart from that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm

How is Rogue acting out of character? Because she isn't saying 'sugah' every 10 seconds?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Punchy wrote:How is Rogue acting out of character? Because she isn't saying 'sugah' every 10 seconds?

Acting like a child throwing a tantrum. Reminds me more of Ultimate Rogue and not the Rogue that was leading an X-team a couple years ago.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Also one could make the argument that while flash isn't a killer, the symbiote suit is and they are two entities.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Keb wrote:Acting like a child throwing a tantrum. Reminds me more of Ultimate Rogue and not the Rogue that was leading an X-team a couple years ago.

Meh, most of her bad moods can be explained by the death of Xavier, who was like a father to her.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Punchy wrote:How is Rogue acting out of character? Because she isn't saying 'sugah' every 10 seconds?

Remender's Rogue reads more like a spoiled brat who has a chip on her shoulder and is mad at the world and less like an accomplished team leader who has grown and developed since her creation in 1981. She just wants to fight and argue with everybody and while I have always thought that adding Rogue to an Avengers team was a good idea, her characterization in Uncanny Avengers is seriously making me rethink that. She acts like it is a chore for her to be there and like she doesn't want to be there at all. This is the type of behavior I would expect from Rogue after she left the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and went to the X-Men for help but certainly not the Rogue that has led teams of X-Men and been a valued and respected teacher at the Xavier and/or Jean Grey Schools. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Punchy wrote:Meh, most of her bad moods can be explained by the death of Xavier, who was like a father to her.

Several of Xavier's students viewed him like a father figure, probably nobody as much as Scott Summers, who was forced to sit back while a cosmic entity used his body to murder him. I get the idea that Rogue could be a little depressed because of Xavier's death, however, she was invited to join the Avengers and all she has done since is be terrible to everybody around her. This is behavior that you would expect from the younger, inexperienced Rogue but not from present day Rogue. It just doesn't seem like Remender is taking any of Rogue's development into consideration when writing her.
ImageImageImage

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Perfect example, middle of AvX she helps Ms. marvel escape from Illyana's hell trap and the last few years has been absolutely nothing but cool with the Avengers she's been around.

Here she's been nothing but a complete bitch and hating the Avengers with absolutely no explanation as to why...unless when we weren't looking she became bi polar.

This doesn't read like the Rogue who has been through everything she has been the last decade. :smt102

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm

The only character thing that Rogue did in this issue was defend Logan. That's it. :smt102

Only person it makes sense for her to be even remotely angry with is Wanda and even that has faded. :lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am

Editorial must have saddled him with Rogue. He wrote such a great Psylocke. He must have wanted someone else but got stuck with her.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

I never knew people cared so much about Rogue :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand