Advertisement

Transformers comics are actually good?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Apache Chef
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 2 posts

Transformers comics are actually good?

Postby Apache Chef » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 am

I recently borrowed a few of trades of TF: Robots in Disguise and TF: More Than Meets the Eye. Much to my surprise, they are actually good.

I gave up on Transformers comics a while back. Like a lot of 80's nostalgia books, I thought they were mostly just fan service. But these two current ongoings have a tight-knit cast and some good character work. I'm impressed.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 684 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Transformers comics are actually good?

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 am

They are not bad, but honestly, I find them using characterizations I don't always care for. I'm more of a classic cartoon fan, so the whole thing being built on the movie combined with some Dreamwave and Marvel UK stuff doesn't always work for me. But still, they are good stuff. Except with certain artists do an issue. That's a fail for me too, but most of the time, nice to look at even if the characters are drawn differently from time to time.

IF you are a fan of the classic, you may not like the fates of some characters at all.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:37 am

I actually liked some of the DW stuff... but did not like most of IDW's early efforts. With these two series, I find myself a bit more onboard. Not perfect, but I am still buying them so that's something.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 684 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 am

sdsichero wrote:I actually liked some of the DW stuff... but did not like most of IDW's early efforts. With these two series, I find myself a bit more onboard. Not perfect, but I am still buying them so that's something.

I liked War Within when it started at DW. But then the Marvel UK-isms started leaking in and I lost interest and enjoyment.

At worst, they are good time killers.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am

For the most part, I've really liked what IDW has done with the property. I really liked Simon Furman's initial minis, even if his run did end on a whimper. He mixed enough new elements into the Gen 1 formula to make the IDW-verse its own entity, rather than just a retread (see Dreamwave). All Hail Megatron was fun in an action movie sort of way, but the story was pretty shallow. The Earth-based follow-up was too movie-like for my tastes, and was generally just boring.

The two current ongoings are great. Robots in Disguise doesn't always have a ton of action, but I've really enjoyed seeing how both factions are dealing with the end of the war. Starscream, in particular, has really shined in Robots in Disguise, and, unfortunately for the Autobots, he really is the type of leader Cybertron needs right now. I have liked More than Meets the Eye both for its world-building elements (seeing how the rest of the universe regards Cybertronians has been insightful) and its emphasis on character (as both Tailgate and Hoist state, almost everyone is suffering from some sort of serious personality disorder due to the war). Again, we don't always see much action, but my favorite parts of the story are generally the character moments rather than the action sequences.

Cat-Scratch wrote:They are not bad, but honestly, I find them using characterizations I don't always care for. I'm more of a classic cartoon fan, so the whole thing being built on the movie combined with some Dreamwave and Marvel UK stuff doesn't always work for me. But still, they are good stuff. Except with certain artists do an issue. That's a fail for me too, but most of the time, nice to look at even if the characters are drawn differently from time to time.

IF you are a fan of the classic, you may not like the fates of some characters at all.

The IDW comics really don't incorporate much from the Bay movies, except for the fact that Cybertron was rendered uninhabitable by the war (emphasis on "was"). The designs and personalities are straight out of Gen 1, albeit more the Marvel comics than the cartoon. The number of deaths are characteristic of the Marvel comic as well, although there have not been nearly as many MAJOR deaths so far (two big deaths were subsequently reversed, and given where RID is heading, a few more may be as well). The first ongoing took some story elements from the movie, but thankfully we're past that now.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm really liking both the ongoings. MTMTE is a great book and I really enjoy its character-centered take.

RID was initially pretty meh to me but got pretty good once everything came together. Shockwave seems ready to steal the show from Starscream in that though.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:31 pm

These are two of the only comics I read on a monthly basis and I'm happy that they're the best Transformers has been in a long, long time. More Than Meets the Eye is something I reread a lot. Robots in Disguise is finally picking up after the Prowl reveal and Megatron's return. It's fun to read a comic where you're actually excited for what could happen next... and you actually don't know what it will be. Most comics, I read the first book and I can pretty much predict the ending.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:These are two of the only comics I read on a monthly basis and I'm happy that they're the best Transformers has been in a long, long time. More Than Meets the Eye is something I reread a lot. Robots in Disguise is finally picking up after the Prowl reveal and Megatron's return. It's fun to read a comic where you're actually excited for what could happen next... and you actually don't know what it will be. Most comics, I read the first book and I can pretty much predict the ending.

it's refreshing seeing a transformers story that isn't megatrons newest master plan every month :lol:

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:10 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
it's refreshing seeing a transformers story that isn't megatrons newest master plan every month :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out what his endgame was during his latest escapade. It was like, what are you even trying to do anymore? I guess if his plan was to destroy a lot of stuff, he got what he wanted. But rule? Even if he wouldn't have been defeated by Bumblebee, Prowl, and Ironhide (and Wheeljack :( ), I couldn't see this doing more than turning the rest of the population against him and aggravating the conflict for another million years. Maybe that was his plan. Eternal War. :smt102

However, the Megatron Spotlight was awesome.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 176 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
RID was initially pretty meh to me but got pretty good once everything came together. Shockwave seems ready to steal the show from Starscream in that though.

I have no problems with this but also enjoy this. Along with the fact that Soundwave also disappeared when the battle got most fierce.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am

Zechs wrote:

I have no problems with this but also enjoy this. Along with the fact that Soundwave also disappeared when the battle got most fierce.

i don't either, when written well shockwave is a great antagonist. as for soundwave, wasnt he exiled with the other decpeticons? he was the one who told megatron shockwave had gone missing.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 am

SuperginraiX wrote:These are two of the only comics I read on a monthly basis and I'm happy that they're the best Transformers has been in a long, long time. More Than Meets the Eye is something I reread a lot. Robots in Disguise is finally picking up after the Prowl reveal and Megatron's return. It's fun to read a comic where you're actually excited for what could happen next... and you actually don't know what it will be. Most comics, I read the first book and I can pretty much predict the ending.

I remember that. Man, and what a large cast!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 am

SuperginraiX wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what his endgame was during his latest escapade. It was like, what are you even trying to do anymore? I guess if his plan was to destroy a lot of stuff, he got what he wanted. But rule? Even if he wouldn't have been defeated by Bumblebee, Prowl, and Ironhide (and Wheeljack :( ), I couldn't see this doing more than turning the rest of the population against him and aggravating the conflict for another million years. Maybe that was his plan. Eternal War. :smt102

However, the Megatron Spotlight was awesome.

Megatron's plan has always been peace through tyrrany. There is no way he would be willing to accept the democratic government being formed in Iacon. His goal in the most recent conflict was to utterly decimate those who would oppose him and then impose his will over those who remained. He would then essentially be in charge of Cybertron and the remaining Cybertronian population, and could begin Phase 7 of his plan: repopulation.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:26 am

MrBlack wrote:Megatron's plan has always been peace through tyrrany. There is no way he would be willing to accept the democratic government being formed in Iacon. His goal in the most recent conflict was to utterly decimate those who would oppose him and then impose his will over those who remained. He would then essentially be in charge of Cybertron and the remaining Cybertronian population, and could begin Phase 7 of his plan: repopulation.

Ah, yes, right. I remember his long bromance talk with Optimus where he goes into details on what he'd do if he killed all of the Autobots. I guess I just think his plan is stupid. :lol:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:46 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Ah, yes, right. I remember his long bromance talk with Optimus where he goes into details on what he'd do if he killed all of the Autobots. I guess I just think his plan is stupid. :lol:

He's a comic book villain. Their plans are always stupid. :wink:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum