Sunday, May 1, 2016 • Evening Edition • "In this issue: an Outhouser will DIE!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

theflyingwaffle

Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Keb wrote:Speaking of BKV...

Saga Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

This series is all kinds of awesome and the first trade is seriously one of the best things Image put out in the last year. This trade is great in that it picks right up from the last one's cliffhanger and does a great job introducing us to Marko's family. Barr was such a great grandfather figure. Reminded me of my uncles and their grandkids. Loved the relationship between him and Alana. Despite all the weird shit space travel and blowjob TV faces, this book is such a family values book and I enjoy it for that most.


Yeah, I have actually been following Saga issue by issue since reading Vol. 1. There is definitely some weird stuff in the books, but Fiona Staples artwork is awesome. And I definitely agree with you regarding the whole family values thing. I liked Barr's character a lot.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Keb wrote:Speaking of BKV...

Saga Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

This series is all kinds of awesome and the first trade is seriously one of the best things Image put out in the last year. This trade is great in that it picks right up from the last one's cliffhanger and does a great job introducing us to Marko's family. Barr was such a great grandfather figure. Reminded me of my uncles and their grandkids. Loved the relationship between him and Alana. Despite all the weird shit space travel and blowjob TV faces, this book is such a family values book and I enjoy it for that most.

Secret Avengers by Rick Remender Vol. 2 by Remender, Renato Guedes and Matteo Scalera

No hobo piss. Hated the AvX tie-in but loved the continuation of the main story. Shame that its ending next volume. Thought the AvX story was pretty boring and could have been any throwaway Avengers story. Liked that he got to use Thor here as I like Thor in Uncanny Avengers. Was happy that he got to expand on the Mikel Fury story introduced in 21.1 and the Serpent Crown stuff.Was nice to see some of the Punisher baddies pop up again too. Love Venom in this series and he writes a good Ant-Man and Widow. This is a good under the radar series for Remender. Matteo Scalera is great on the art too.


Honestly, I don't understand why so many readers feel fascinated by Staples. Her covers are good, but her interior art is sloppy. I stopped buying Saga because of her.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:
Yeah, I have actually been following Saga issue by issue since reading Vol. 1. There is definitely some weird stuff in the books, but Fiona Staples artwork is awesome. And I definitely agree with you regarding the whole family values thing. I liked Barr's character a lot.

Glad you stuck with it, waffle! It's been a lot of fun.
Arion wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why so many readers feel fascinated by Staples. Her covers are good, but her interior art is sloppy. I stopped buying Saga because of her.

It's like Richard Case on Doom Patrol. Everyone says the art is ugly but when you see what they are drawing and how well they do it, you really appreciate it.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Keb wrote:Glad you stuck with it, waffle! It's been a lot of fun.

It's like Richard Case on Doom Patrol. Everyone says the art is ugly but when you see what they are drawing and how well they do it, you really appreciate it.


I'm about to read the first Doom Patrol volume. I'll let you know what I think of Richard Cae.
User avatar

theflyingwaffle

Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 am

Arion wrote:Honestly, I don't understand why so many readers feel fascinated by Staples. Her covers are good, but her interior art is sloppy. I stopped buying Saga because of her.


I can definitely see how you could find it sloppy, but on that same token, I think her style goes really well with the storyline. It has a uniqueness about it that really helps bring the atmosphere of the story to life.

Keb wrote:Glad you stuck with it, waffle! It's been a lot of fun.


Yeah I appreciate your initial recommendation to check it out! It was definitely a good starting point since I had been out of the realm of comics for so long... It's been fun diving into the hobby again.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 am

theflyingwaffle wrote:
I can definitely see how you could find it sloppy, but on that same token, I think her style goes really well with the storyline. It has a uniqueness about it that really helps bring the atmosphere of the story to life.



Yeah I appreciate your initial recommendation to check it out! It was definitely a good starting point since I had been out of the realm of comics for so long... It's been fun diving into the hobby again.

Yeah. I was out of the loop for a few years and recently got back into things about 18 months ago. It's always fun to find new series.

Just out of curiosity, have you read Y: the Last Man?

I've been re-reading it lately.
User avatar

theflyingwaffle

Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah. I was out of the loop for a few years and recently got back into things about 18 months ago. It's always fun to find new series.

Just out of curiosity, have you read Y: the Last Man?

I've been re-reading it lately.


I have only been able to read the first issue of it since it is a feeebie on comixology... That is actually one of the trades I have been looking to get because I have heard nothing but good things about it.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm

I just finished the series earlier today. Still love it.
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 am

theflyingwaffle wrote:I can definitely see how you could find it sloppy, but on that same token, I think her style goes really well with the storyline. It has a uniqueness about it that really helps bring the atmosphere of the story to life.


Yeah, I really like the art too. There's something about it. :smt102
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 am

Steed & Mrs. Peel: A Very Civil Armageddon – Never seen the show but I really enjoyed it. Really want to watch it now but the DVDs are expensive.

Art was just ok but if fit the story so I liked it more than I would have on something else.

Buffy Season 9 v.3: Guarded – This was a let down. First arc was just ok and the second didn’t even have Buffy so it left me wanting.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:48 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:


Why did you stop buying comics?
User avatar

theflyingwaffle

Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:54 am

Arion wrote:
Why did you stop buying comics?


I guess during High school my interest just sort of shifted. I started to focus more on building my music collection over my comic collection, and before I realized it I had stopped buying comics all together. It was always something that I had wanted to start getting back into, but after having been away from the world of comics for 6 years (I'm 21 now) I didn't even have a real starting point. Luckily by random chance I found this site which has actually been a huge factor in helping me get back into it. My collection has literally doubled in size since registering for an account here.
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

Fagorstorm

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 am

Arion wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why so many readers feel fascinated by Staples. Her covers are good, but her interior art is sloppy. I stopped buying Saga because of her.

Staples is one of my favorite current artists. Before Saga came out I didn't know who she was. Now I would buy any comic she does interior work in.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:53 am

Image
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:05 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:Staples is one of my favorite current artists. Before Saga came out I didn't know who she was. Now I would buy any comic she does interior work in.


Oh well...

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], IvCNuB4, Spektre, uz000 and 55 guests