Advertisement

Marvel's sliding continuity

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 681 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Marvel's sliding continuity

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 am

syxxpakk wrote:
I actually have a solution for that. It's pure fan fic, but whatever. Hitler was into the occult, right? Between Vandal Savage, Wotan, and Mordru, you've got three villains that could fit a JSA vs. Occult Nazi themes. So part of that occult Nazi story involves searching for an artifact that grants long-lasting life and that affects the JSAers granting them said long-lasting life.

With some, the magic is already there. Alan Scott was shown as being brought back to life so why he aged at all... yet was rejuvenated in the old GLCQ... Jay Garrick and other super-powered types could just not age or age very fast being that vital due to their powers. Dr Fate and The Spectre are immortal.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:

With some, the magic is already there. Alan Scott was shown as being brought back to life so why he aged at all... yet was rejuvenated in the old GLCQ... Jay Garrick and other super-powered types could just not age or age very fast being that vital due to their powers. Dr Fate and The Spectre are immortal.

See, I like my idea better because when you do it your way - you're coming up with ways for each individual member to be unaffected. That gets to be ridiculous. Give a blanket reason and it's not so bad. Also, in my fan fic world Alan Scott is just a regular Green Lantern.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

syxxpakk wrote:
See, I like my idea better because when you do it your way - you're coming up with ways for each individual member to be unaffected. That gets to be ridiculous. Give a blanket reason and it's not so bad. Also, in my fan fic world Alan Scott is just a regular Green Lantern.

Well, the thing is, they did do your thing, sort of. Ian Karkill and the All-Star Squadron 1984 Annual.

Basically the villain tried to steal the life energies of all future Presidents that were alive at the time. He was thwarted but had also collected a ton of lives from others. He went boom and that energy was passed on to the present JSAers and life partners.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Well, the thing is, they did do your thing, sort of. Ian Karkill and the All-Star Squadron 1984 Annual.

That annual was the BOMB!

Basically the villain tried to steal the life energies of all future Presidents that were alive at the time. He was thwarted but had also collected a ton of lives from others. He went boom and that energy was passed on to the present JSAers and life partners.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:33 am

Oooh I was one issue off

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Would I be mistaken in thinking that the story you're mentioning is pre-COIE?

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Would I be mistaken in thinking that the story you're mentioning is pre-COIE?

Nope, it was and also post-COIE too.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:32 pm

holtom2000 wrote:The JSA origin, as told in DC Special (28 I think) literally has them fighting Nazis
and later in All-Star Squadron they are all irradiated with energy from Ian Karkell.. and later time in Limbo... so yes, JSA fought a lot of Nazis.. they also fought them in the Last Days of the JSA which I have not read in forever and was super awesome

And like I said, that was stuff added long after the original JSA stories from the 1940's were published.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Nope, it was and also post-COIE too.

Sand Superman and Batman, of course.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
That and most of the heroes of that era were created to fight "foreign foes" aka Nazis. There's also more to that era than just Nazis.

I can't recall any of the original JSAers origins being tied into fighting Nazis or Fascists of the Japanese. Liberty Belle is the only character I can recall having an origin directly tied into WWII. There were probably more Quality and Fawcett characters with WWII connected origins.

Timely (Marvel) may have had more characters with WWII-related origins than DC did.

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 pm

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_Society_of_America

Roosevelt recruited Flash and Green Lantern to retrieve the Spear of Destiny from Hitler. The mission started in Scotland where they were captured and then taken to Berlin. Hitler then sent them to Washington DC with a bomb. Other heroes joined in for that battle.
After that they formally became the JSA but only fought Axis agents and Nazis that were on American soil.
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
And like I said, that was stuff added long after the original JSA stories from the 1940's were published.

Oh I see your point now. But still, all I ever knew was them fighting nazis

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

I can't recall any of the original JSAers origins being tied into fighting Nazis or Fascists of the Japanese. Liberty Belle is the only character I can recall having an origin directly tied into WWII. There were probably more Quality and Fawcett characters with WWII connected origins.

Timely (Marvel) may have had more characters with WWII-related origins than DC did.

Now please respond to the later point I made.

Plus, note that only a few Fawcett or Quality were also connected to fighting the Nazis or Fascists of the Japanese, but was later included.
No Timely did not. It was about the same for all. The fact was though, that the surge in numbers had to do with having stories of them all fighting against Nazis or the Japanese.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Sand Superman and Batman, of course.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Those stories had that there was no origin for the JSA. Add that in that era, origins tended to be told well after when the character was popular, not always at the start.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand