Advertisement

Avengers #14 (Grandma always said Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #14 (Grandma always said Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 am

The prelude to Infinity begins, and so far there’s no sign of Thanos, nope, what we have here is the culmination of what Hickman has been doing ever since #1. Yes, the Origin Bomb sites are activating and all hell has broken loose. There’s some awesome-looking square-headed dudes and they are doing something weird that’s causing chaos across the globe as electricity just stops working.

I think the coolest thing about this issue was not just that it was this particular subplot starting to pay off, but that it featured all of this huge Avengers team in the same issue and they try and stop the results of the global grid failing. This is a huge-scale threat and it needs all of the Avengers. I think the strongest of these scenes was Captain Universe singlehandedly stopping a Nuclear explosion, but it was cool to see everyone get their moment. It’s been an effective technique to tell smaller stories with smaller squadrons, it means that when every single Avenger is in bold type on the recap page that big deal shit is going down.

I’m not really sure what all of this has to do with Thanos, but it was cool. It was also very cool to see Jonathan Hickman reunited with his Secret Warriors co-conspirator Stefano Caselli, they go very well together. This issue looks like being a turning point for this series, we’ve spent a lot of time building up these events, but what’s next? And can Hickman maintain the momentum?

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Avengers #14 (Grandma always said Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Punchy wrote:The prelude to Infinity begins, and so far there’s no sign of Thanos, nope, what we have here is the culmination of what Hickman has been doing ever since #1. Yes, the Origin Bomb sites are activating and all hell has broken loose. There’s some awesome-looking square-headed dudes and they are doing something weird that’s causing chaos across the globe as electricity just stops working.

I'm pretty sure that the signal being sent by the bug like beings in Perth were what was causing the chaos. The square headed guys responded eventually and headed to Perth.

I'm wondering just what it is that the guys at A.I.M. woke up.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the signal being sent by the bug like beings in Perth were what was causing the chaos. The square headed guys responded eventually and headed to Perth.

I'm wondering just what it is that the guys at A.I.M. woke up.

I'm thinking it's supposed to be the Earth's self-defense mechanism.

It'll be interesting to see how this ties into Infinity.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:49 am

This was the weakest issue of Avengers yet. I've been reading the Hickman Avengers books for the last two days and am impressed with what I've been reading. It's still not great but it's better than the bendis years. This issue felt like a rush to the 22nd page and then sort of felt like a thud.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I'm wondering just what it is that the guys at A.I.M. woke up.

Thanos.
Frank, sometimes I really wish you didn't beat that cancer.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:52 pm

pat wrote:

Thanos.

Nah, it was the Origin Bomb that dropped in Norway. The one that handles self-defense.

Thanos was seen in the Infinity FCB day thing off in space, so it ain;t him.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Punchy wrote:The prelude to Infinity begins, and so far there’s no sign of Thanos, nope, what we have here is the culmination of what Hickman has been doing ever since #1. Yes, the Origin Bomb sites are activating and all hell has broken loose. There’s some awesome-looking square-headed dudes and they are doing something weird that’s causing chaos across the globe as electricity just stops working.

I think the coolest thing about this issue was not just that it was this particular subplot starting to pay off, but that it featured all of this huge Avengers team in the same issue and they try and stop the results of the global grid failing. This is a huge-scale threat and it needs all of the Avengers. I think the strongest of these scenes was Captain Universe singlehandedly stopping a Nuclear explosion, but it was cool to see everyone get their moment. It’s been an effective technique to tell smaller stories with smaller squadrons, it means that when every single Avenger is in bold type on the recap page that big deal shit is going down.

I’m not really sure what all of this has to do with Thanos, but it was cool. It was also very cool to see Jonathan Hickman reunited with his Secret Warriors co-conspirator Stefano Caselli, they go very well together. This issue looks like being a turning point for this series, we’ve spent a lot of time building up these events, but what’s next? And can Hickman maintain the momentum?

I imagine this leads up to the Avengers leaving Earth to search for allies to stop the Builders, (or Ex Nihlo, or whoever), which results in Thanos deciding it's time to go invade Earth.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:08 pm

What I really liked about the issue is how Banner was trying to figure things out while everything was going haywire. It showed him as being the heroic side as opposed to Hulk, which was refreshing.

- Sons of the Desert

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 204 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Banner had some good moments in the series so far.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Juan Cena wrote:What I really liked about the issue is how Banner was trying to figure things out while everything was going haywire. It showed him as being the heroic side as opposed to Hulk, which was refreshing.

So your not reading Indestructable Hulk? Sigh.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand