Advertisement

The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spektre
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2446
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby Spektre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 am

I have talked a friend into viewing this and giving his feedback. He watched none of this save a few original BTAS back in the day.

So, for someone wanting to see the Diniverse in 100 hours, with a heavy emphasis on the JL series, what would you add of the previous series as tie-ins?

Spektre
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15327
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 am

The ones with Batman.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9044
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby Zero » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 am

The BTAS seasons without Robin, and the movies for it. Then Batman Beyond and the Return of the Joker Movie. Then JL/JLU. I think that the Superman episodes with Darkseid might be worth watching too, but I forgot what they're called so meh.

MikeinLA
crash test dummy
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:37 pm


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby MikeinLA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:52 am

"Hereafter" Part 1 and (especially) Part 2. One of my favorite Superman stories ever.
"Double Dose" is a pretty straightforward villains team up to take out Supes, but its really well done.
For Batman, "Almost Got 'Im" is a classic. I like "Sideshow" (Batman vs Killer Croc) a lot.
The adaptations of "Mad Love" and "For the Man Who Has Everything" are great.

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35060
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 am

All of them.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21225
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby chap22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am

if you really want it to tie into JL/JLU more heavily, definitely the opening 3 eps of Superman (his origin, establishes Lex and Brainiac, who are both huge in JLU), any Supes eps featuring Darkseid (as he's huge in JLU), and the the Supes eps that introduce Supergirl as she takes a pretty big role later in JLU.

as for Batman, you can't go wrong watching any of that really. some key eps are of course Mad Love, Almost Got Him, pretty much any Joker or Two-Face episode, and i'm a sucker for anything with Ra's/Talia.

Batman Beyond isn't really essential as that stuff only shows up in the epilogue ep at the end of the JLU Cadmus season, and I've only seen Return of the Joker and a few assorted episodes here and there) and I don't feel I missed anything.

also, i'd say pretty much anything with guest-stars except the Superman/GL team-up ep (although that's a good ep), as you never see Kyle again except in crowd scenes. so basically:
the Supes/Aquaman ep
Supes/Flash
Supes/Dr. Fate
I guess the Supes/Legion ep since they show up again in the final season of JLU
all the Superman/Batman team-up eps (the World's Finest movie/3-parter with Lex and Joker especially)
Bats/Zatanna
the Batman & Robin/Demon vs. Klarion ep
you could probably skip the Bats/Creeper ep, but either way
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11068
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 am

Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
"Father's Day," "World's Finest 1 & 2," Apokolips Now! 1 & 2," and "Legacy 1 & 2" from STAS
"Secret Origins," "Tabula Rasa," "A Better World," "Hereafter," and "Starcrossed 1, 2, & 3" from Justice League
"Initiation," "For the Man Who Has Everything," "Fearful Symmetry," "The Greatest Story Never Told," "The Return," "Ultimatum," "Dark Heart," and "The Once and Future Thing 1 & 2" from JLU season 1
The entirety of JLU season 2
"I Am Legion," "Dead Reckoning," "The Great Brain Robbery," "Alive," and "Destroyer" from JLU season 3

Mask of the Phantasm is a great movie, and a good start if your friend liked BTAS. The selections from STAS are some of the best from that series, and give you sufficient background for some of the Justice League viewing. The Justice League selections are a mix of essential episodes and background for JLU season 2. JLU season 2 is the highlight of the DCAU, in my opinion, and is worth watching in its entirety. I also picked the essential episodes of JLU season 3, which, while weaker than the preceding season, had a great ending.

The Batman Beyond movie is quite good in its own right, and ties up some loose ends from the BTAS universe. "Epilogue," the JLU season 2 finale, wraps up some final loose ends from Batman Beyond and closes the door on that series.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21225
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby chap22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 am

MrBlack wrote:Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
"Father's Day," "World's Finest 1 & 2," Apokolips Now! 1 & 2," and "Legacy 1 & 2" from STAS
"Secret Origins," "Tabula Rasa," "Hereafter," and "Starcrossed 1, 2, & 3" from Justice League
"Initiation," "For the Man Who Has Everything," "Fearful Symmetry," "The Greatest Story Never Told," "The Return," "Ultimatum," "Dark Heart," and "The Once and Future Thing 1 & 2" from JLU season 1
The entirety of JLU season 2
"I Am Legion," "Dead Reckoning," "Alive," and "Destroyer" from JLU season 3

This gets you the essential Batman and Superman series, the best of Batman Beyond, and sufficient setup for the events of JLU season 2 (the best season of any of these series), as well as the best elements of JLU season 3.

a good list, but i'd add a few more single episodes:

I love Kid Stuff and This Little Piggy from JLU season 1. totes worth it just to see baby Etrigan and Batman singing
i'd also add Wake the Dead b/c I really liked the Hawkgirl/Grundy stuff
Flash & Substance, and Patriot Act from the last season
and you GOTTA have The Great Brain Robbery. it's a moral imperative
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11068
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 am

chap22 wrote:a good list, but i'd add a few more single episodes:

I love Kid Stuff and This Little Piggy from JLU season 1. totes worth it just to see baby Etrigan and Batman singing
i'd also add Wake the Dead b/c I really liked the Hawkgirl/Grundy stuff
Flash & Substance, and Patriot Act from the last season
and you GOTTA have The Great Brain Robbery. it's a moral imperative

"Kids' Stuff" and "This Little Piggy" are a bit too silly for me, but a lot of fans do really like them, so they're probably worth watching. I did add "The Great Brain Robbery" as you were posting, since that is a great episode.

The Hawkgirl/Grundy stuff was good, but I wanted to trim the list down a bit, and it didn't rise to the level of "essential" for me. Ditto for "Flash & Substance" (which is a fantastic Flash episode, admittedly). "Patriot Act" was good, but not great for me.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 65134
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:24 am

Just watch it all. Even the weak ones are worth it.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Zechs
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 43084
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: From Parts Unknown
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby Zechs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 am

Chill of the Night from Batman: The Brave & The Bold has to be on here too. The darkest but one of the best episodes of the entire series that is so up there with even B:TAS episodes.
Image

Image


sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11068
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Zechs wrote:Chill of the Night from Batman: The Brave & The Bold has to be on here too. The darkest but one of the best episodes of the entire series that is so up there with even B:TAS episodes.

Not part of the Dini/Timm-verse though.

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 34262
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby misac » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

The first World's Finest. Batman and Superman first meet and the way they learn each other's secret id is great! And Bruce almost steals Lois away. 8)
Image

PDH
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6993
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 am


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby PDH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm

misac wrote:The first World's Finest. Batman and Superman first meet and the way they learn each other's secret id is great! And Bruce almost steals Lois away. 8)


Those episodes can be watched together like a mini movie without requiring you to watch anything else and they're really fun. They've got some great Joker and Luthor stuff, as well (not to mention Harley and Mercy).

Spektre
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2446
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: The "essential" Dini-verse viewing list.

Postby Spektre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm

chap22 wrote:if you really want it to tie into JL/JLU more heavily, definitely the opening 3 eps of Superman (his origin, establishes Lex and Brainiac, who are both huge in JLU), any Supes eps featuring Darkseid (as he's huge in JLU), and the the Supes eps that introduce Supergirl as she takes a pretty big role later in JLU.

as for Batman, you can't go wrong watching any of that really. some key eps are of course Mad Love, Almost Got Him, pretty much any Joker or Two-Face episode, and i'm a sucker for anything with Ra's/Talia.

Batman Beyond isn't really essential as that stuff only shows up in the epilogue ep at the end of the JLU Cadmus season, and I've only seen Return of the Joker and a few assorted episodes here and there) and I don't feel I missed anything.

also, i'd say pretty much anything with guest-stars except the Superman/GL team-up ep (although that's a good ep), as you never see Kyle again except in crowd scenes. so basically:
the Supes/Aquaman ep
Supes/Flash
Supes/Dr. Fate
I guess the Supes/Legion ep since they show up again in the final season of JLU
all the Superman/Batman team-up eps (the World's Finest movie/3-parter with Lex and Joker especially)
Bats/Zatanna
the Batman & Robin/Demon vs. Klarion ep
you could probably skip the Bats/Creeper ep, but either way


Pretty close to what I had but you reminded me of a few others! Thanks!
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 45 guests

Advertisement