Advertisement

Favorite Version of Superman

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 699 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Favorite Version of Superman

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Punchy wrote:I think it's worth saying that my favourite Superman story isn't actually a Superman story.

Alan Moore's Supreme: Story Of The Year is everything good about all of his actual Superman work, plus All-Star all in one package. If it wasn't for the inconsistent art, it would be perfect.

I agree, amazing stuff covering the silver-age version. Love it, but ultimately I prefer the characterizations in the Byrne MoS and the Fleischer cartoons.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Since there's been so much.....discussion about Man of Steel and debate over Superman's actions it's a simple question.

Which version is your favorite?

I love Superman the Animated Series. It's the show that really reminded me why I loved Superman as a kid and I don't think I've personally seen the character's universe done better. It's far and away my favorite version.

I think the entire DC animated universe is the best. I agree 100 per cent

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Uhh, the fact is that Levitz and the LoSH crew did not know what Byrne was doing specifically. Hence why things went that way, not due to Levitz saying no. All Levitz said, as the LoSH writer, was he'd not have done what Byrne did as it crippled the LoSH at that point. LoSH was still working well.

First it's Levitz fault that he didn't make sure how Byrne's MoS would affect Legion before MoS came out Even more so considering Levitz was a VP of DC comics at the time. (Give Karen Berger some blame for this, BTW, as she was still editor of LSH back then).

And I can think of a few things that crippled the Legion worse than MoS did. But you really don't want to start that argument here, do you? :wink:

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
First it's Levitz fault that he didn't make sure how Byrne's MoS would affect Legion before MoS came out Even more so considering Levitz was a VP of DC comics at the time. (Give Karen Berger some blame for this, BTW, as she was still editor of LSH back then).

And I can think of a few things that crippled the Legion worse than MoS did. But you really don't want to start that argument here, do you? :wink:

It's not his fault as it was not his responsibility. It was the Superman office that should have notified the LoSH office. You got that ass backwards with Levitz hate, you Levitz Livid Man.

Sure, but you'll loose like all the other ones. :P
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I liked Superman in the early '80s, when Marv Wolfman (and others) was writing Action Comics. I liked the mix of tradition and innovation that characterized that period of stories. Clark was unmarried and still changed in phone booths, but the new, creepier Brainiac and Luther presented believable challenges to the Man of Steel.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I liked Superman in the early '80s, when Marv Wolfman (and others) was writing Action Comics. I liked the mix of tradition and innovation that characterized that period of stories. Clark was unmarried and still changed in phone booths, but the new, creepier Brainiac and Luther presented believable challenges to the Man of Steel.

ImageImage

Ack Ack!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:09 pm

There was an era around a decade ago with Kelly, Schultz, and some other guys, that was really good too.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm

superfictious wrote:There was an era around a decade ago with Kelly, Schultz, and some other guys, that was really good too.
Hell yes it was. :smt045
-

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm

hard to beat this Superman... or any DCU character for that matter

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum