Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:05 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:Staples is one of my favorite current artists. Before Saga came out I didn't know who she was. Now I would buy any comic she does interior work in.

Oh well...

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:08 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:
I guess during High school my interest just sort of shifted. I started to focus more on building my music collection over my comic collection, and before I realized it I had stopped buying comics all together. It was always something that I had wanted to start getting back into, but after having been away from the world of comics for 6 years (I'm 21 now) I didn't even have a real starting point. Luckily by random chance I found this site which has actually been a huge factor in helping me get back into it. My collection has literally doubled in size since registering for an account here.

Funny you should say that. When I started posting on message boards I starting buying more comics than ever before.

What kind of music?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm

DAT BOOM BAP SHIT SON YA HEARD!

*Keb gets down

theflyingwaffle
SUSHI FISH

Title: Proverbs 3:5-6

Postby theflyingwaffle » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 am

Arion wrote:What kind of music?

I listen to a little bit of everything really. I listen to a lot of classic rock, metal, hardcore, punk and ska. I also really enjoy classical and jazz. Honestly though I'm pretty much open to anything musically. Currently I have over 17000 songs in my itunes library... So I listen to a lot of music haha

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:
I listen to a little bit of everything really. I listen to a lot of classic rock, metal, hardcore, punk and ska. I also really enjoy classical and jazz. Honestly though I'm pretty much open to anything musically. Currently I have over 17000 songs in my itunes library... So I listen to a lot of music haha

17000? My goodness!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 pm

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby misac » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Uncanny X-men by Gillen v.3 – AvX tie in. Really like how Gillen writes Cyclops. In the first issue there are thought captions on Namor and Colossus that are really good. Hope too, but she’s such an unlikeable character.

Art was Greg Land, I go from liking to hating him in the same issue but it was mostly bad in this. In one part he draws She Hulk like she’s on her way to a work instead of super heroing. :lol:

Wolverine and the X-Men v.3 – Another AvX, another chance to hate the Avengers. :P Cyclops was pretty bad ass in this too. But with this storyline I don’t think I could dislike Scott if they even tried. I liked that he called out Wolverine for being petty and naming the school after Jean.

This has been my favorite volume of this series so far. Would have liked Bachalo draw the issue with Gladiator instead of Bradshaw.

Betrayal of the Planet of the Apes – I was going to go three for three with AvX tie in trades but couldn’t take hating the Avengers anymore. :P

Prequel to the original movie with younger Dr. Zaius, General Ursus and a couple of new characters. Really good, it would have made a good movie.

Art was great! Gabriel Hardman draws the best apes!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Punchy wrote:Image

Pure genius.

theflyingwaffle
SUSHI FISH

Title: Proverbs 3:5-6

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 am

Sandman is one of the books that I have always heard really good things about but have never been given the opportunity to read... :-(

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 am

theflyingwaffle wrote:
Sandman is one of the books that I have always heard really good things about but have never been given the opportunity to read... :-(

I reread it a couple months ago. See below:
Keb wrote:Oh, I finally finished Sandman last weekend.

Here's my thoughts:

Love the start of the series. The first four trades are without a doubt the best stories in the series (with a few exceptions). There problem after Season of Mists is that the series then got, in my opinion, too high on itself and after A Game of You it started to lose the horror edge that kept the series so it started to feel different. By the time it reached Brief Lives, it was apparent that it was now a literary work and not just a comic book. The World's End story arc was really the low point for me even though it had some great stories (Hob's Leviathan). The lowest point for me this time around was reading The Kindly Ones. Normally I've always enjoyed that story a bunch but this time around the decompression really got on my nerves. The Wake kind of made up for it by being really pretty but by then I was more than happy to be finished the series.

If I had to divide it up, I'd say 1-3, 5-7 and 8-10 with 4 standing on its own as the turning point for the series. The one thing I love about the Season of Mists story is that it embodies everything the series was about. Its why I see it as theturning point. Once Gaiman hit that stride, he pretty much just started to put controls in place to end the series. The climax in Brief Lives was without a doubt one of the more introspective parts of the book for me, and by climax I mean the conversation Dream has with Destruction. Kind of saw it as a talk between me and my own older brother in some ways.

The characters in this series are always what makes it great. Hob Gadling is still my favorite. I didn't realize that the Peggy he talked about in the Kindly Ones is Jim from World's End. Or maybe I did but I forgot. Matthew is my other favorite. I really like that Gaiman redeemed him from Swamp Thing. Speaking of that, early in the series there were times I felt Gaiman was trying to build on the Swamp Thing stuff especially in the Doll's House story but overall I felt like he kind of went to it a little too much and if you didn't know the reference it was something you'd gloss over. Having the intended knowledge made it so much more enjoyable but not having it just made it seem like any other detail. What did bit for me was the Bogeyman reference but I was glad he let it end there at that.

The Ramadan story remains the standout artistically and there aren't many that stack up to it. The art throughout the series is great and each artist's style really does set the tone for each story. There's only one artist I didn't care for at all and that was Jon Watkiss, but even his work on the series isn't too bad. Jill Thompson was great on Brief Lives as was Shawn McManus on A Game of You and without those two artists those stories might have stunk. I paid significant attention to the inking in the first four books because the coloring is kinda off in my editions (should maybe get the recolored printings soon). Loved the way Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III worked together.

Glad I reread it. It probably falls out of my top 3 now but it still remains in the top 10.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 am

theflyingwaffle wrote:

I just bought the complete 10-trade box-set for like, 2/3rds off on Amazon UK. I don't know if it's the same level of cheapness in the US, but check it out.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:

Don't wait for someone to give you the opportunity to read it. Make it happen!

I read A.D.D. Adolescent Demo Division and it was really, really good. Lots of great ideas and amazing art.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:41 pm

I love it . LOVE it.
Are you planning on rereading the 75 issues of Sandman?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 am

Arion wrote:
I love it . LOVE it.
Are you planning on rereading the 75 issues of Sandman?

It's not a re-read, this is my first time.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand