Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #3 (Glad I took this vacation Spoile

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Guardians Of The Galaxy #3 (Glad I took this vacation Spoile

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 am

Bendis’ fresh new take on the Guardians continues to be a whole lot of fun. We open with the GotG having been captured by the Spartax Empire, and it’s very interesting to see how backwards Earthlings are viewed to be by the rest of the Marvel Universe, we don’t even have universal translators! We might as well be goldfish! The intergalactic council scenes between J-Son of Spartax and all of the other heavy hitters also got a lot more interesting, as we see some signs of disagreement between the members of the council, and hints that J-Son is up to something, which makes sense. Spartax has never previously been shown as being on the same level as the Kree or Shi’ar or the Badoon, so he’s probably making a play.

The Guardians of course escape, thanks to Groot, who has grown back to full-size and smashes shit up. The escape scene was very well done, with snappy dialogue and great, cinematic pacing from Steve McNiven, every member of the team was shown as a bad-ass, and heck we even saw how Tony Stark copes without his armour. If this is the basis for the movie, then I’m in. The artwork from both McNiven and Sara Pichelli was very good, I love both of these artists, and since McNiven is so slow, it only makes sense to have someone who has a pretty similar style fill-in for him.

And to make things even better, any old-school fans still complaining about this book ‘selling out’ and going mainstream get a nice shout-out with a mention for Cosmo the talking dog. I hope that once this initial arc is over, Bendis starts bringing back characters like Cosmo and making this more than just the movie team. I want Vance Astro and Jack Flag!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 286 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #3 (Glad I took this vacation Sp

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 pm

I liked the escape sequence, I loved Tony Stark's conversation with the guards putting him in cryo. I'm still not a fan of Rocket Raccoon yelling, "Murdered you." I still want Groot to say more than, "I am Groot," although I can't blame Bendis for that. That was one of the changes to the character made in the Giffen/DnA cosmic era that I really disliked, and still do dislike.

Overall there are things that I both like and dislike about this series, but it's still a series I enjoy, featuring character that I want to follow.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand