Advertisement

Fantastic Four #9 (Doom is inevitable Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Fantastic Four #9 (Doom is inevitable Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 am

I think this was my favourite issue of Fraction’s run so far, and since his run has been pretty good (just not spectacular), that’s high praise. This issue picks up with the revelation in the Age Of Ultron tie-in issue that Ben Grimm blames himself for the accident that caused Victor Von Doom to become Doctor Doom. To try and find out if this was the case, Reed and Ben travel back in time to their college days, only to discover that they are not the only ones observing this momentous occasion. Nope, a whole crap load of Dooms are also there.

This is a great character moment, Doom is so megalomaniacal that he not only does he go back to see his ‘birth’ once, he does it 100s of times, so we get to see a variety of Dooms from all sorts of possible futures, including a Doctor Fate lookalike and even Ultimate Doom! One thing I really liked was that this collection of Dooms was a surprising source of comedy, their pomposity was just so ridiculous, asking someone who is basically them how dare they touch Doom! Of course, a fight ensues between Reed and Ben and the various Dooms, which is also surprisingly funny. But in the end, this story is not funny, it’s about Doom, the greatest villain in comics, and how it wasn’t Ben Grimm’s fault, or Reed Richards’ fault. No, according to Fraction… Doom is inevitable. What a great line that is, that last page sent a shiver down my spine.

I do wonder what we are supposed to make of the sequence where all of the other Dooms place the mask on ‘our’ Doom’s face. Was it always that way? Were those monks actually Doom all along? Time travel hurts my head yet again. This was a very good issue of Fantastic Four, it got right to the heart of 3 of the series most important characters, and the art from Bagley was spot on. I may not like this title as much as FF, but it’s getting better.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Fantastic Four #9 (Doom is inevitable Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm of two minds when it comes to this issue. I agree that it was fun and overall an enjoyable comic. The implications for Dooms origin are problematic for me though. Yes, it was said that Doom is inevitable, but even the little bit that was added of Ben's involvement, to my mind, takes something away from Doom's origin. That and having the alternate Dooms involved was just a little too WTF.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 pm

So Doom can time travel at his leisure back to his origin point? So he sees that Richards only looked at the notes and never altered them. Yet the hate still boils?

I realize time travel is all the rage in the MU right now, but this is getting comical.

Add to this how Reed not only is able to control time, he does it on conjunction with traveling multiple parsecs of space. And there's no effort to doing this. He just does it.

Reed is one of my all time favorite heroes - but this is just too much.

And where the hell is the TVA?

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 am

Amoebas wrote:So Doom can time travel at his leisure back to his origin point? So he sees that Richards only looked at the notes and never altered them. Yet the hate still boils?

I realize time travel is all the rage in the MU right now, but this is getting comical.

Add to this how Reed not only is able to control time, he does it on conjunction with traveling multiple parsecs of space. And there's no effort to doing this. He just does it.

Reed is one of my all time favorite heroes - but this is just too much.

And where the hell is the TVA?

Time Variance Authority, one of a couple Cosmic Agencies involved in policing Marvel's timestream. They're usually portrayed as a massive beauracracy.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:15 am

Lord Simian wrote:
Time Variance Authority, one of a couple Cosmic Agencies involved in policing Marvel's timestream. They're usually portrayed as a massive beauracracy.

They go back to the mid-80's and Walt Simonson's classic Thor run.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand