Saturday, April 30, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Trash eaters."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

The ads on this website are a little crazy

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Whenever I go to the front page here there are these 2 huge vertical banner ads that always pop up on the screen, regardless of the fact that I'm logged in at the time.

If I log into the forums from my phone there is a ad that takes up half the screen for bathroom fixtures of all things :smt013

It seems a little excessive. :smt102

The Old Doctor

A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Place does not run on bananas alone.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I don't really mind them. Jude was telling me the other day that the Outhouse is getting to the point now where him and Blue can accept lesser roles at work and supplement their life with the amount the site earns on the side which is fantastic. At the end of the day would you rather Blue/Jude/Simian take home a couple of hundred dollars a week or you have less ads?

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Jubilee wrote:I don't really mind them. Jude was telling me the other day that the Outhouse is getting to the point now where him and Blue can accept lesser roles at work and supplement their life with the amount the site earns on the side which is fantastic. At the end of the day would you rather Blue/Jude/Simian take home a couple of hundred dollars a week or you have less ads?

:lol:: You fucking liar.

Last month, me and Blue chipped in $40 each to pay the leftover due on the hosting bill. The bill has been supplemented a lot by various people over the years, including Lord Simian, BK Thomson, Me, Blue, and occasionally others. :lol:

Personally, I would like to run a Kickstarter campaign to pay the site bills for a year and just do away with all but the project wonderful ads.

Ultimately, all of this is eltopo's fault for getting us banned from Google Adsense with a thread about poop.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I don't have the mobile ad problem though - AFAIK there are no ads on the mobile site.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I'd happily chip in to a Kickstarter.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm

:lol:

you need to start charging more for ad space!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 pm

The thing with web hosting bills too is that you can save almost half the cost if you pay yearly as opposed to monthly. So if we could manage to get ahead like that, we could probably actually save up the Project Wonderful ad revenue over the next year and pay it again, and actually build toward system where the site might even be profitable.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Sorry, just got a scalding PM from Simian. I guess the official company line is that Blue/Jude aren't making any money here then...

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Rockman wrote::lol:

you need to start charging more for ad space!

The problem is we don't have the resources to go out and sell our own ad space. We have to rely on services like infolinks or Project Wonderful. We're people with jobs and lives, no one is doing this full time who can sit in an office and contact people to sell ads and maintain those kinds of relationships.

It also doesn't help our case that we don't censor. A lot of premium services will deny access if your site has "offensive content," a loosely defined category that applies probably to about 90% of the threads on the board. That is what happened with Google Adsense, for a thread where eltopo was talking about poop.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm

A thread about poop screwed us eh?

Now I think I understand why the banner ad on the mobile site is about toilets.

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Jubilee wrote:I don't really mind them. Jude was telling me the other day that the Outhouse is getting to the point now where him and Blue can accept lesser roles at work and supplement their life with the amount the site earns on the side which is fantastic. At the end of the day would you rather Blue/Jude/Simian take home a couple of hundred dollars a week or you have less ads?

Almost caused a writers riot.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Jubilee wrote:Sorry, just got a scalding PM from Simian. I guess the official company line is that Blue/Jude aren't making any money here then...
Your posts are the same as the front page articles - are any of them factual?!!?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Jubilee wrote:Sorry, just got a scalding PM from Simian. I guess the official company line is that Blue/Jude aren't making any money here then...

Dude, you don't talk about Fight Club.

leave a comment with facebook