Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #4 (A container that holds liquid Sp

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Guardians Of The Galaxy #4 (A container that holds liquid Sp

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

Bendis’ take on the Guardians continues to impress me. This was an issue with a lot lower stakes than the first 3, but it allowed for a bit more focus on the characters, particularly Gamora, and still had room for plenty of action.

The Guardians are celebrating in a Space-Bar after their victory over the Spartax, and generally having a damn good time. Tony Stark and Gamora even hook up! Although I’m not sure what to make of the scene, was Gamora so energetic that she wore Tony out? Or could he not get it up? Either way, it was damn funny and brought Stark down a peg or two, he deserves it after the mean things he said about Captain Britain! On her way back to the bar, Gamora is attacked by a bounty hunter who is after, well, her bounty.

At the same time, the Guardians run into some Spartax soldiers, and another fight breaks out. These two fight sequences were very well done, and I continue to be very impressed by Sara Pichelli’s artwork, she was awesome on Ultimate Spider-Man, and she’s even better here I think, which is impressive, because the cast here is larger, and the scale of the series is massive. Of course, the Guardians defeat all the various baddies, but this, seemingly inconsequential issue actually accomplishes a lot. We know that the Guardians are going to run into trouble wherever they go, and we also know that Gamora is a wanted woman. Who placed the bounty? Who knows.

Next issue looks like being a big one, it’s the debut of Angela! I know nothing about Angela, so I’m very intrigued indeed, especially since Neil Gaiman is co-writing. Oh yeah, and for those of you keeping up with references to the old GoTG days, Star-Lord mentions the Cancerverse in this issue, Bendis hasn’t forgotten people, we are going to get some answers eventually.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1469 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #4 (A container that holds liqui

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 am

Punchy wrote:Oh yeah, and for those of you keeping up with references to the old GoTG days, Star-Lord mentions the Cancerverse in this issue, Bendis hasn’t forgotten people, we are going to get some answers eventually.

Hey, that's swell. Wake me up when "eventually" actually happens.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

Grayson wrote:
Hey, that's swell. Wake me up when "eventually" actually happens.

Have patience. Bendis is introducing this group to a wider audience, he can't dive straight into a continuity-heavy story.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Have patience. Bendis is introducing this group to a wider audience, he can't dive straight into a continuity-heavy story.

With all the praise that Bendis receives, you would think that he would be able to write a story that accomplishes both. :smt102

I would have been completely fine with a flashback scene in the first issue where Star Lord and Drax find Gamora after escaping the Cancerverse and explain that Nova (Richard Rider) used what little power the cracked cosmic cube had left to bring Drax back to life because Thanos escaped. He then used the full power of the Nova Force to hold whatever exit Thanos used open long enough for Star Lord and Drax to escape but somehow Nova was lost in the process and they have no idea where he is or if he survived. Finally, they show an emotionally upset Gamora before returning to the present day. It would have explained why Drax is even alive and why Thanos and Star Lord returned but Nova didn't.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Nova is in the Ult. U, that's why.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Nova is in the Ult. U, that's why.

But is that just speculation or is it fact?
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Grayson wrote:
But is that just speculation or is it fact?

Factualation.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:12 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Factualation.

ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Gamora must be awesome in bed if she wore Tony out. I wonder Luke, Logan, Matt or even Namor could handle her in the sack.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Punchy wrote: Bendis hasn’t forgotten people, we are going to get some answers eventually.

So what was in the closet?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:08 am

LobsterJ wrote:
So what was in the closet?

Seeing how it was a doombot all along during that sequence, do you really want to know? :lol:

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I enjoyed this issue overall. The bar fight was fun and Tony's continued fascination with the tech of the greater MU is still good for a laugh. I wasn't a fan of the fight with Gamora and the bounty hunter. Maxilan the Accuser is a name I found distracting -- I want to know what Ronan and the other actual Accusers think of this mook running around using their title without permission. He also didn't come across to me as the type of character would actually would have the skill set to get the drop on Gamora the way he did.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand