Advertisement

Young Avengers #6 (Quickersilver Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Shitlord

Young Avengers #6 (Quickersilver Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

This was probably my favourite issue of this series so far, and hey, it didn’t have any of the actual Young Avengers in it! Maybe my problem is not that Gillen is writing the book too much for Tumblr fans, and I just hate the characters! That would be a relief. Nah, I think the thing is that, because this issue doesn’t use fan-favourites like Kid Loki and Hulking and Wiccan, Gillen isn’t trying too hard to please those fans and the book feels a lot less self-conscious and fun. The fact that Speed was always the least popular Young Avenger and that nobody gives a crap about Prodigy means they can be actual characters and not just fodder for ‘gif-able moments’ or shit like that. I mean, there was only one cringe-worthy moment in this issue, and it came from a character speaking over IM.

This issue follows Speed and Prodigy as they work in dead-end jobs for some kind of shady company. I would have liked for Gillen to have explained who exactly they are working for here, what kind of company provides tech-support for evil Ninjas? I think it might have been better if they it was just a normal company, not one involved in superhero nonsense. I am very intrigued as to what the deal is with the Patriot Costume that is this issue’s villain. From interviews I know that Gillen wanted to use Patriot but was told someone else was, so what’s going on here? It was certainly a shock to see that costume show up.

The art for this issue comes from Kate Brown, who I’m not familiar with, but she does an excellent job at following up the awesomeness that McKelvie has been dishing out on a monthly basis. I particularly liked the double page spread showing how Speed works at super-speed, that was very effective. I like that both McKelvie and now Brown are not really traditional superhero artists. I may complain about this book’s tone, but it’s one that needs a fresh, edgy, indie look, and they provide it.

So, I enjoyed this issue, and I look forward to seeing where it goes, will Prodigy join up with the actual team? Will I find that team to be less insufferable now? I don’t know!

Advertisement

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Young Avengers #6 (Quickersilver Spoilers)

Postby pat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Punchy wrote: I would have liked for Gillen to have explained who exactly they are working for here, what kind of company provides tech-support for evil Ninjas? I think it might have been better if they it was just a normal company, not one involved in superhero nonsense.

My guess is some sort of video game company.
Frank, sometimes I really wish you didn't beat that cancer.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 334 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Young Avengers #6 (Quickersilver Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Prodigy is definitely joining the team, he's on future covers with the rest of the team

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand