Advertisement

Angry Fan Breaks World Record for Quitting Spider-Man Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 pm

The fan has quit reading Superior Spider-Man comics a record 23 times over a 6 month period.

Source: ThanosCopter Newswire

Jeremy Ottswallop, a 29 year old quality control worker at a Mansfield, OH potato chip factory, is fed up with what he feels is the unsatisfactory treatment of his favorite character.  "Marvel has ruined Spider-Man," he angrily stated at his local comic book store, Joe's Comics and Cards.  "And I'm done wasting my time reading their comics until they fix him." 

Immediately, a gathered crowd broke into applause and cheered.  Ottswallop had officially broken the Guinness World Record for most times quitting a Spider-Man comic, having quit Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man a record 23 times over a six month period. 

"It's quite an impressive feat," said official Guinness World Record Adjudicator Benjamin Hensley.  "To quit a book over and over again takes a lot of courage and stamina."

As cake was passed around to celebrate the feat, Ottswallop explained why he continually quit the book over and over again.  "What Slott has done to Spider-Man is terrible," he said in between bites of a cake that read "Keep on Quittin', Jeremy!".  "Replacing Peter's soul with Dr. Octopus is almost as unforgivable as when they had him eat hot dogs with Loki.  I keep hoping that the book will get better, which is why I keep un-quitting, but Slott never fails to make it seem more likely that Peter Parker will never come back."

Ottswallop beat the previous record set by Aaron Barkley of Hollywood, CA, who quit the book 22 times during One More Day, in which Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane was erased from reality.  Barkley famously tied himself to a Spider-Man impersonator outside of the TCL Chinese Theatre and refused to leave until a list of demands had been met, which included the restoration of the marriage with the addition of Gwen Stacy as a polyamorous third member of the marriage.  Police eventually tased Barkley after a tense 3 hour standoff and freed the Spider-Man impersonator. 

When asked for comment, Barkley admitted that he was in a dark place during his World Record attempt and admitted that he enjoyed the new Spider-Man direction, saying that it was one of the fresher concepts to be introduced by Marvel in years.

Joe Young, the owner of Joe's Comics and Cards, thought that Ottswallop was being a bit dramatic about the whole thing.  "We stopped removing Superior Spider-Man from his pull list," he admitted.  "He just keeps adding the book back whenever we take it off." 

But Ottswallop said this time he was really done.  "Nope, Marvel's lost me as a customer forever," he said.  "Even if next issue features Spider-Man and the Lizard teaming up...and the Lizard is like my tenth favorite Spider-Man villain."  Ottswallop quickly excused himself, presumably to speak to a store clerk about getting the comic added back to his pull list.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 977 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Angry Fan Breaks World Record for Quitting Spider-Man Co

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Jeremy Ottswallop's Mom is about to get a visit. Just like Rockman's.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

I feel like this is about me and not just because of the coincidence with the name. I swore off Spidey after the end of the series and launch and what he had been through and god help me, I picked the book up again a few issues into Superior and love it. I even tweeted Slott that the only thing I hated more than what he had done to Peter was how much I loved the book. I've never been so angry to enjoy something :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 977 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:56 pm

jeremy wrote:I feel like this is about me and not just because of the coincidence with the name. I swore off Spidey after the end of the series and launch and what he had been through and god help me, I picked the book up again a few issues into Superior and love it. I even tweeted Slott that the only thing I hated more than what he had done to Peter was how much I loved the book. I've never been so angry to enjoy something :lol:

"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 am

I am only 3 issues in on the Superior Spider-man (I got a late start on it unfortunately), and I think I'm enjoying it sort of... I am literally torn between hating the fact that Peter is a dead ghost watching his life be altered and shredded before his eyes by Doc Oc, and the fact that I want to continue reading to know what's going to happen next... It's like a bad car accident on the freeway. It is a terrible thing to see, yet you can't look away...

Philip M. Hofer
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Angry Fan Breaks World Record for Quitting Spider-Man Comics

Postby Philip M. Hofer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 am

I only needed one time to quit, same with the other's who are mentioned here.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 am

I think this is the closest to 'The Onion' levels of awesomeness we've got, nice one.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:27 am

jeremy wrote:I feel like this is about me and not just because of the coincidence with the name. I swore off Spidey after the end of the series and launch and what he had been through and god help me, I picked the book up again a few issues into Superior and love it. I even tweeted Slott that the only thing I hated more than what he had done to Peter was how much I loved the book. I've never been so angry to enjoy something :lol:

That was the Johns/Manapul Flash book for me. I so wanted to hate it and then it turned out to be good. On the plus side, it led into Flashpoint so I can still hate it.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 am

Never picked it up. Not even a little bit interested.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:37 am

nietoperz wrote:Never picked it up. Not even a little bit interested.

It's really good.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 am

Punchy wrote:
It's really good.

I've heard. But the thing is, I like Peter Parker - that's the Spider-Man I grew up admiring, the everyman who did the right thing even when it often came back to bite him in the arse. Equally, Doctor Octopus was one of my absolute least favourite villains.

To me, this set-up is not my favourite Marvel character, and kind of ruins the figure of Spider-Man. I mean, I have no doubt that Peter will be back one day, but as it stands this is not a version of the book I am tempted to spend my money on.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 am

nietoperz wrote:
I've heard. But the thing is, I like Peter Parker - that's the Spider-Man I grew up admiring, the everyman who did the right thing even when it often came back to bite him in the arse. Equally, Doctor Octopus was one of my absolute least favourite villains.

To me, this set-up is not my favourite Marvel character, and kind of ruins the figure of Spider-Man. I mean, I have no doubt that Peter will be back one day, but as it stands this is not a version of the book I am tempted to spend my money on.

Out of curiousity, why don't you like Doctor Octopus?

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 am

nietoperz wrote:

I felt the same way at the beginning but I warmed to Otto as Spider-Man eventually. Yes, Peter will return some day but it is kinda fun seeing Otto's begruding interpretation of what a hero is and as a reader, seeing how wrong he's doing it.

It really is a fun book. I find myself rooting for Otto at times but liking him get his every once in awhile. Otto's sheer arrogance and smugness makes the book entertaining.

You really should give it a chance.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 202 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am

With SpOck, I'm enjoying the character for the first time in many years. Doc Ock has always been a favorite villain, and the over-the-top dialogue is just fun. The idea is so absurd that somehow it works.

Kat_Rocha
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Kat_Rocha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Wow. I haven't picked up a Marvel title since Civil War so it's always fun to take a peak and see what the current stories are. I get the impression that the current Spiderman arch is like a Roger Corman film. It's outlandish and ridiculous, but for some reason it's entertaining and fun. Is that correct?
-Kat

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand