Advertisement

Review: 'The Wake' #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Vertigo still the best thing DC has to offer, despite attempts to diminish the line.

Writer: Scott Snyder
Artist: Sean Murphy
Color: Matt Hollingworth
Letters: Jared K. Fletcher
Cover: Sean Murphy & Jordie Bellaire
Vertigo/DC Comics

Snyder and Murphy took us deep into the ocean with the debut issue of The Wake last month and revealed a strange creature discovered by the government.  The story brought experts from various fields together, which created an interesting assortment of characters trapped together at the bottom of the ocean. 

In the latest issue, prologues and epilogues offer clues to the larger story, the main story following Dr. Archer as she digs for answers.  The readers, and experts, finally get a little taste of truth from the suit that dragged them all together.  We find out how this creature was captured and get a couple of theories from the experts for its possible origin.  Snyder does a great job weaving explanations of myths and science together here.

As the issue closes in on the final pages, we get more teases and less explanation when we see there may be more to the creature than what everyone suspects.  The final page leaves us with a serious event that may be vision, hallucination, or reality.

Sean Murphy's art is a perfect fit for this mini-series.  He handles both massive events and intimate moments expertly.  Murphy's design for the creature is amazing, yet realistic, and with his use of blank space and shadow, he creates a very lonely atmosphere at the bottom of the ocean.

We are only two issues in so far, but Snyder and Murphy have shown why Vertigo is one of the best things about DC Comics.  Even though this is a mini-series, between the pacing and teases, this book is definitely worth buying monthly and offers a solid story each issue.  With the second issue out today, it's not too late to dive in and pick up the first two issues.

Written or Contributed by Jeremy Shane

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review: 'The Wake' #2

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 am

Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy’s underwater epic gets even more interesting in this second instalment. I’m very intrigued by the main story, but what’s really getting me excited here is the opening and closing scenes.

We open with a scene set 5 million years ago with the strange fish-creatures fighting sharks, and close in the future where THE FUCKING MOON EXPLODES. What the hell was that? What does it have to do with the fish-dudes? This is going to be an epic story.

The meat in that WTF-sandwich is of course cool in it’s own right. We find out a little bit more about each of the main characters, including Dr Lee Archer, who is very interesting and has a hidden past with these creatures I’m sure. I found the idea that these creatures are ‘raindrops’ to be very interesting. Snyder has a great track record at making myths and legends make sense in a scientific world in American Vampire, and it’s cool to see that in play here. Sean Murphy’s artwork is of course fantastic, I love love love his artwork, it’s just so bloody good. This book is just good. I’m glad to here it’s breaking sales records for Vertigo, things are looking up for the beleaguered imprint.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

There were a number of complaints when this first came out that it was a cheaply made comic and they were legit, but, the story to take a major upturn in terms of being interesting this week.

Punchy you misspelled installment.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

habitual wrote:There were a number of complaints when this first came out that it was a cheaply made comic and they were legit, but, the story to take a major upturn in terms of being interesting this week.

Punchy you misspelled installment.

Hab

I didn't, there's only one 'L' in the British spelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instalment

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:10 pm

I've enjoyed both issues so far. I want to know about Dr. Archer's past with the "raindrop" (they're going to have to give us a better name for the species than that eventually though) and whether there was more than just the one incident. I also really want to know how the moon exploding in he future fits into all of this.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand