Advertisement

Justice League #21 (Shazam! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League #21 (Shazam! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:43 am

Much like with this title’s Zero Issue, the story of Shazam takes centre-stage here for a pretty epic final instalment. From perusing the Outhouse and other forums, it seems like I’m the only one who’s been enjoying the Johns/Frank re-imagining of Captain Marvel, but I think it’s been a fun ride and a cool modernisation of a character, who, as much as I love him, has always been a bit cheesy and a bit out of place in the wider DC Universe. This issue featured a whole heap of cool moments and interesting updates of classic Captain Marvel concepts.

First off is the introduction of the new Marvel Family, in which Billy gives a portion of his power to the rest of his foster family. So not only do we get the return of Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr (although Freddy is calling himself King Shazam), but the rest of the kids also get Shazamified, Darla, Eugene, Pedro, all those guys. I like this, it’s a great return of the Family, and you can take it a bit more seriously because there isn’t a Bunny Rabbit in there or Uncle Marvel. I also liked how the various Marvel Family members had different abilities, so Eugene can control machinery and other stuff like that.

Of course, there is still room for some goofiness here, as Tawky Tawny gets involved. I think it’s interesting that Billy can’t empower everyone at once, that when he boosts up the Tiger, the rest of the family lose their powers. In the end, Black Adam is defeated, not through brute force, but by Billy making him revert to his human form, where he realises his mistakes and then does a Last Crusade and crumbles away. Considering how much Johns loves Black Adam (he loves him even more than Sinestro and Captain Cold probably), I doubt this is the last we’ll see of him. And in the end, Doctor Sivana stumbles across another classic Captain Marvel villain… Mister Mind! Oh yes, I love that evil little maggot.

Gary Frank’s art was once again fantastic, I loved the facial expressions of the various characters, and the action was just wonderful to look at. I think he may be my favourite superhero artist.

Overall, this was a strong ending to a story I’ve personally enjoyed, and I think if people re-read it, they will too. In this story, Billy Batson grew into the kind-hearted kid we know him to be, he may have started off as a jerk, but he grew and evolved, thanks to the power of Shazam. Which I think is more interesting than just being innately good. I wonder what’s next for the character? Will he join the Justice League? His own series? Hmm…

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 165 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Justice League #21 (Shazam! Spoilers)

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

Yes, good job by Johns and Franks on this story. I'm satisfied that they modernized Shazam but kept the classic core of the character - Billy Batson learns what friendship and family means.

Tieing the bonds of family to Billy's powers is an interesting twist. I hope Johns and Franks get to do an ongoing monthly series to further explore how these powers work. :-D

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 am

Wow, it's as if they actually knew what they were doing by letting the character evolve instead of reacting of fanboy overreaction and just throwing Billy out as a finished product. :smt017

I'm shocked!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 949 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:50 am

They still need to call them the Marvels, not Shazams. :smt011
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:They still need to call them the Marvels, not Shazams. :smt011

I don't think that's up to them.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 am

Punchy wrote:
I don't think that's up to them.

Yeah, some dumb ass suit and Didio are responsible. :smt011

Now I want to know, what are they all going to be called? I'm really curious about the replacements to the 3 Lieutenant Marvels as they are not Lieutenants but family now. Dara Marvel sounds okay but the well will run dry fast with that scheme. Works with the girls, but not the guys I think. Though Dara could also be called Speed Marvel or Swift Marvel.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:04 am

I do miss the Marvel name, but I can live with Shazam. I think we'd be getting this even without the company-wide reboot.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 am

superfictious wrote:I do miss the Marvel name, but I can live with Shazam. I think we'd be getting this even without the company-wide reboot.

I'd rather they be called the Thunders as in Captain Thunder then Shazam. It's just stupid sounding. Also, it's just so damn stupid after decades to rename them now. :smt011

Now here's hoping they give us a series with the same creative team for at least 12 consecutive issues.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 424 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 am

What would you guys prefer?

Flashpoint?

Or post-Flashpoint?

It was pretty obvious (to me, at least) that they would change the concept SOMEHOW...

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Punchy wrote:Much like with this title’s Zero Issue, the story of Shazam takes centre-stage here for a pretty epic final instalment. From perusing the Outhouse and other forums, it seems like I’m the only one who’s been enjoying the Johns/Frank re-imagining of Captain Marvel, but I think it’s been a fun ride and a cool modernisation of a character, who, as much as I love him, has always been a bit cheesy and a bit out of place in the wider DC Universe. This issue featured a whole heap of cool moments and interesting updates of classic Captain Marvel concepts.

First off is the introduction of the new Marvel Family, in which Billy gives a portion of his power to the rest of his foster family. So not only do we get the return of Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr (although Freddy is calling himself King Shazam), but the rest of the kids also get Shazamified, Darla, Eugene, Pedro, all those guys. I like this, it’s a great return of the Family, and you can take it a bit more seriously because there isn’t a Bunny Rabbit in there or Uncle Marvel. I also liked how the various Marvel Family members had different abilities, so Eugene can control machinery and other stuff like that.

Of course, there is still room for some goofiness here, as Tawky Tawny gets involved. I think it’s interesting that Billy can’t empower everyone at once, that when he boosts up the Tiger, the rest of the family lose their powers. In the end, Black Adam is defeated, not through brute force, but by Billy making him revert to his human form, where he realises his mistakes and then does a Last Crusade and crumbles away. Considering how much Johns loves Black Adam (he loves him even more than Sinestro and Captain Cold probably), I doubt this is the last we’ll see of him. And in the end, Doctor Sivana stumbles across another classic Captain Marvel villain… Mister Mind! Oh yes, I love that evil little maggot.

Gary Frank’s art was once again fantastic, I loved the facial expressions of the various characters, and the action was just wonderful to look at. I think he may be my favourite superhero artist.

Overall, this was a strong ending to a story I’ve personally enjoyed, and I think if people re-read it, they will too. In this story, Billy Batson grew into the kind-hearted kid we know him to be, he may have started off as a jerk, but he grew and evolved, thanks to the power of Shazam. Which I think is more interesting than just being innately good. I wonder what’s next for the character? Will he join the Justice League? His own series? Hmm…

No, I'm with you Punchy, SHAZAM kicks so much ass I even stopped calling him Captain Marvel. I like how Billy is still a bit jaded, though and I really dig the new Family lineup.

I'm ready to pre-order that monthly, take mah money DC!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand