Advertisement

Tony Bedard on Villains Month: Black Manta and Ocean Master

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Tony Bedard on Villains Month: Black Manta and Ocean Master

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Newsarama interviewed Tony Bedard on his Aquaman issues for Villains Month, Aquaman #23.1: Black Manta and Aquaman #23.2: Ocean Master. Read the entire interview here.

Black Manta is languishing in Belle Reve prison for supervillains. Amanda Waller wants him for her Suicide Squad because she recognizes what a badass he is. But then something happens (and you have got to read Forever Evil #1 or you will kick yourself!) that turns the world upside down. And Manta has to reexamine his whole reason for being. Is it enough to live only for revenge against Aquaman? Or can Black Manta find a bigger purpose? .. Seriously, he is going to emerge as a major star among DCU villains and this is where it all starts.

Despite the fact that he's facing death row, Orm of Atlantis, former King of the Seven Seas and brother of Aquaman, couldn't care less about the surface world. All he wants is to return to the ocean — to go home. Being trapped on the surface is a living nightmare for him.
And when the opportunity comes for freedom, the first thing he does is make a beeline for the coast. Let the Secret Society have the surface world. Who cares, right?
But Orm's a strangely complex personality for a villain, and the things he sees on his way to the Gulf of Mexico will test his ability to look the other way.

Geoff and I are actually co-plotting these two issues because both of them have major implications for Aquaman and for Forever Evil. I think readers who miss either book will kick themselves once they realize what pivot points they are for both of Aquaman's greatest enemies.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Tony Bedard on Villains Month: Black Manta and Ocean Mas

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:59 pm

And Aquaman's other enemy is...um...the Gorton's Fisherman? :smt102

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Lord Ice wrote:And Aquaman's other enemy is...um...the Gorton's Fisherman? :smt102

Uh...sort of. :?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Sampling of interior art from AQUAMAN #23.1: BLACK MANTA

Image Image Image
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand