Advertisement

FF #8 (Major uncool Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

FF #8 (Major uncool Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 am

Another issue of FF that whilst being rather disjointed, makes up for it with some outstanding single moments and bits of humour.

There are 3 main plots here. The first is the FF team heading to Attilan to try and sort out what to do with Medusa after she was mind-controlled by The Wizard. Can she be trusted? I thought it was cool how Fraction had She-Hulk cut through the aristocratic bullshit the Inhumans were going through, and told Medusa how she thought to her face. There hasn’t really been enough Shulkie in this series so far, but this was her moment, and the fight between her and Medusa was well-done.

The second plot was the Future Foundation kids running amok and causing trouble, which was pretty much pointless, but funny. It allowed Allred to bust out some awesome Kirby machinery and Bentley 23 is always fun to read about. I suppose it was there to show symmetry with the FF plot, how Scott Lang’s team of adults is just as dysfunctional as the kids, but it was a bit of a stretch.

The final plot was a lot more interesting, as we catch up with Alex Power and Doctor Doom. I really like the way Fraction writes Doom, and he was genuinely scary here, beating Alex up, and revealing to him that he has to do Doom’s bidding or else Doom will kill his parents. The final page reveal about who Doom is working with was also brilliant, not only Annihilus, but also… Kang! Well, not quite Kang, but ‘Kid Immortus’. Basically, it’s the return of Iron Lad from Young Avengers, which is pretty exciting. Especially as this is yet another Marvel series involving time-travel. Damn you Wolverine, this is all your fault!

Oh yeah, and I loved how Darla can now bring up her Thing-Suit by smashing two rings together, Fraction has brought in that dumb cartoon concept and made it work! This is a strange book, I love parts of it, like the HERBIE Robots arguing about Daft Punk, and the sense of silver-age goofiness, but it doesn’t all tie together as well as I’d like. It’s all well and good joking around, but there does need to be more substance. Hopefully, with the involvement of Kang/Immortus/Iron Lad and the awakening of Old Johnny Storm, that’s coming. At least it always looks amazing.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 342 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: FF #8 (Major uncool Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:53 pm

My favourite part of this issue was the fight amongst the kids. I agree with you about the Alex/Doom scene, those had a real, "Holy Crap!" type feel to them.

Thank you Troy for the sig

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 6 posts

Re: FF #8 (Major uncool Spoilers)

Postby David Bird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm enjoying this series, in spite of having no background in it and frequently not really knowing what's going on between the characters.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand