Advertisement

Separating art from artist

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Separating art from artist

Postby Chesscub » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 am

Jack Burton wrote:I can sort of do it depending on the level of problems I have with the views I guess.

For example OSC? Screw him and all his projects.Dude is a flat out bigoted piece of garbage.

Guys like Chuck Dixon or Bill Willingham though I can deal with. We disagree on a lot of stuff but they haven't posted anything to my knowledge I find horribly offensive.

See that's about where I stand. I've met Bill Willingham several times. Very jovial and very nice. I know his politics and mine don't mesh so I wouldn't probe that way but he got a kick out of me pulling out an old pinup book he had a drawing in.

Advertisement

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

Interesting responses. I think they've helped me thrash out my feelings on the topic. I agree that it depends. Political differences I don't have a problem with. If I only read things or enjoyed art or music by people who don't hold my political viewpoints, I'd be robbing myself of potentially a lot of pleasure and even thought provoking materiel, (after all, if you only read people who agree with you, how are your beliefs ever going to be challenged).

I understand that there ARE a lot of people who only read people they agree with. I just don't think that should be me.

As for more serious stuff, actual crimes, well, I draw a line there. I'm still torn on Wagner though. I just really don't know what to think. Of art or music by him or anyone with whom I have a similar problem. I suppose it might go to how far they go beyond just speaking or writing those thoughts.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 603 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:43 am

I just want to know where this comic book store is located so I can check out these sketches out for myself. Any good one's there?

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:19 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I just want to know where this comic book store is located so I can check out these sketches out for myself. Any good one's there?

Merrymac Comics and Games. It's on US 3 in Merrimack, NH. One was of The Spirit. Another was of The Baroness (I want to say).

They had a Art Adams sketch, Ed McGuiness, Ken Haeser, Sara Richards, Scott Wegener. All reasonably priced.

The original comic artwork however was overpriced. :-(

I'm thinking about going back to get an autographed back issue I saw that I debated about.

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 603 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 am

Chesscub wrote:
Merrymac Comics and Games. It's on US 3 in Merrimack, NH. One was of The Spirit. Another was of The Baroness (I want to say).

They had a Art Adams sketch, Ed McGuiness, Ken Haeser, Sara Richards, Scott Wegener. All reasonably priced.

The original comic artwork however was overpriced. :-(

I'm thinking about going back to get an autographed back issue I saw that I debated about.

They have original art and autographed comics too? I have to go check that place out. I might just find my way down there today. I don't really have any money but I'll take a look around.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

I think that I can seperate pretty well. For example, I've never read Ender's Game, but if I woke up inclined to, I wouldn't let my thoughts on his political views stop me. I might borrow a copy, or I might buy if I couldn't borrow.

I think that, like a bunch of others have said, I'm especially able to do so if they're not directly benefiting. I love Errol Flynn movies, but he had a definite unscrupulous history. But he's dead, so he's not involved in my decision. John Wayne? Love his films. Hurt a lot of people during the blacklist era, but his choices in life don't affect my ability to enjoy watching him shoot Liberty Valance.

Oops. Spoiler alert. :oops:

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am

I should have known guys. I could have stopped him. I met Justiniano at NYCC and asked him to draw me a sketch of his favorite comic character merged with his favorite movie character. He did this:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

I should have known... :smt011
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 365 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

Chesscub wrote:Can you do that?

I was at a relatively new comic shop yesterday in Merrimack, NH. They had some sketches up on the wall for sale. I was looking at a couple of them that I liked. I generally can tell who it is from the style or the signature.

So I asked the guy who it was. It was Justiniano. My response "oh." His answer "That's what most people say when they hear that. That's why it's marked down so low"

I just couldn't bring myself to buy it knowing what he did.

Could you?

Nope. I was never a fan of his which helps, but the thought can ruin any enjoyment. Sometimes I can get past some artists being assholes or nutjobs...

I think it depends on how the art hits you and how the news of the artist affects you.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 365 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 am

Lord Simian wrote:I think that I can seperate pretty well. For example, I've never read Ender's Game, but if I woke up inclined to, I wouldn't let my thoughts on his political views stop me. I might borrow a copy, or I might buy if I couldn't borrow.

I think that, like a bunch of others have said, I'm especially able to do so if they're not directly benefiting. I love Errol Flynn movies, but he had a definite unscrupulous history. But he's dead, so he's not involved in my decision. John Wayne? Love his films. Hurt a lot of people during the blacklist era, but his choices in life don't affect my ability to enjoy watching him shoot Liberty Valance.

Oops. Spoiler alert. :oops:

This. Card's a real piece of work, but that novel was terrific.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 403 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
This. Card's a real piece of work, but that novel was terrific.
Plus, people change, for good or bad. When Card wrote Ender's Game, he could have been more liberal, and developed into a bigot. On the flip side, he could have a change of heart about gay rights like so many Congresspeople have. Everything's fluid and flux.

Look at nieto - he went from trolling MoTA to banning trolls himself! :lol:
-

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm

:roll:

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:16 pm

As with everyone else, it depends. I still like the Beast Boy mini that Justiniano drew back in 2001 before all this crap was revealed, especially since he gave Flamebird a cool new costume, after she Took a Level in Badass. But if it came to a new book by him... yeah, probably not.

Meanwhile, I would gladly buy any Dixon book I was interested in. Chuck's never let his love of guns stop him from writing gun-hating Batman AND Nightwing AND Robin AND Oracle/Black Canary well. And I admire him in general for writing all those surface-similar characters so distinctly on such a consistent basis. So he gets the thumbs-up.

As for Card, since he's mentioned outright that he puts the money he earns towards his... questionable causes, I might buy something of his secondhand, if at all.
Last edited by Herald on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 403 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:16 pm

nietoperz wrote::roll:
Aw, c'mon, the perfect comeback would have been "And I know which troll is next..."
(but with more Britishspeak flair, natch)
-

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Herald wrote:As for Card, since he's mentioned outright that he puts the money he earns towards his... questionable causes, I might buy something of his secondhand, if at all.

Huh, well you have a smidgen of decency at least.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 248 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Nieto don't feel too bad about missing the Ender's game movie, it's directed by Gavin Hood, the guy who gave us Wolverine: Origins.

I try my best not to separate art from artist. There are a few actors who I have a personal boycott against, and especially Roman Polanski.

It's not like there is a shortage of entertainment in the world, I can afford to be particular :-D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum