Advertisement

Separating art from artist

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 485 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Separating art from artist

Postby Rockman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 pm

outsider wrote:It's funny how the marketing for Ender's Game pretty much spoils the big surprise at the end of the movie.

I noticed that too

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
So you own a Macklemore CD, Eminem's entire catalog and To The Extreme?

No, no and no.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Keb wrote:No, no and no.

House of Pain?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 949 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 pm

nietoperz wrote:I can't, I'm afraid. There's no chance, for instance, that I will ever see Ender's Game.

I doubt you'll be missing much.

The book was good, but honestly, there are tons out there that are more entertaining and just better.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 726 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I doubt you'll be missing much.

The book was good, but honestly, there are tons out there that are more entertaining and just better.

I reread it last year and it's still a good book, but was so much more enjoyable the first time I read it when I was 14 or 15. I think it's one of thosr novels better appreciated during youth than when older (I was so sympathetic to Ender's parents this time, lol)
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 am

outsider wrote:I reread it last year and it's still a good book, but was so much more enjoyable the first time I read it when I was 14 or 15. I think it's one of thosr novels better appreciated during youth than when older (I was so sympathetic to Ender's parents this time, lol)

Yeah, it is that good as to hold up, but I think it was more suited to the era in was published in. I was in my early 20s when I finally got around to reading it and appreciated it as it was. The problem is, that it really was when you get down to it, an early article of sorts on kids video gaming. It was interesting but also silly when thought on. I still recommend the book, but not it's sequels.

Card is really not all that great a writer. I read or should say, tried to read his shitsandwich Ultimate Iron Man mini. UGH! So I pretty much find avoiding his stuff not all that hard.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 726 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Yeah, it is that good as to hold up, but I think it was more suited to the era in was published in. I was in my early 20s when I finally got around to reading it and appreciated it as it was. The problem is, that it really was when you get down to it, an early article of sorts on kids video gaming. It was interesting but also silly when thought on. I still recommend the book, but not it's sequels.

Card is really not all that great a writer. I read or should say, tried to read his shitsandwich Ultimate Iron Man mini. UGH! So I pretty much find avoiding his stuff not all that hard.

I haven't read his comics work, but in terms of prose writing, I disagree. He is excellent at universe building (Ender, Red Prophet, Shadow/Bean) and his standalone works (short stories and full-length novels) are quite good. His biggest flaw (in terms of writing) is trying and failing spectacularly to end a series. He would better serve his works by leaving open endings.
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 pm

outsider wrote:I haven't read his comics work, but in terms of prose writing, I disagree. He is excellent at universe building (Ender, Red Prophet, Shadow/Bean) and his standalone works (short stories and full-length novels) are quite good. His biggest flaw (in terms of writing) is trying and failing spectacularly to end a series. He would better serve his works by leaving open endings.

A lot of his stuff just never interested me and was never really recommended to me by friends or others back in the day. Ender was good, Shadow was okay, I read the first part but stopped once it began retelling elements from the original. Friends had little good to say about it, so I never had the drive to continue. Speaker For The Dead was just crap. I hated that it was really nothing more then a story that leads to a sequel which leads to another... hate that. Start as a series or keep the stories stand alone. Also, I could do without the cultural or political theories he always wants to impart. Basically, I found he soap boxed his views too much.

Like Grant Morrison, he cannot achieve closure. They're sex partners must be so happy. :P

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Don't you mean "isn't directly benefiting", Bizarro BlueStreak? :?

Lapsus linguae.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum