Advertisement

Swamp Thing #22 (John The First Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Swamp Thing #22 (John The First Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Swamp Thing has tracked down the mysterious ‘Seeder’ to Scotland, and what happens when a vaguely Vertigoish character ends up in the UK? Well, a guest-appearance from John Constantine of course!

I’ve been enjoying Charles Soule’s run a lot, and this was probably the best issue so far. Soule rights a good Constantine, we got to see Swamp Thing use his powers in more interesting ways, the conflict between Man and Plant was front and centre, and the villain just gets more and more interesting. It’s looking like Seeder is not actually a bad guy, he wants to help people, he just doesn’t really know what he’s doing or think of the consequences. In this issue, he tries to save a small Scottish town that fell on hard times when their whisky distillery closed down, by creating a tree that grows whisky. At first this seems like a great thing, the townsfolk have their spirits (heh) lifted and are having a great time. But there’s something wrong with the whisky, it’s not even whisky, and it seems to drive people who drink it crazy. Including Constantine. I loved the ending to this issue, with an insane John declaring himself ‘The Whisky King’ and telling the people to kill Swamp Thing, it was just crazy.

Kano returns on art here, and he continues to do a good job. I do feel we were spoiled a little by having Jesus Saiz as a fill-in last time, he may be even better! This story is shaping up to be very interesting, not only is there the whisky tree stuff, but the larger conflict between Swamp Thing and Seeder. Soule is asking us to see a man trying to help people as a villain, and someone who takes things away from us as a hero. It’s complicated and very cool. And that’s not even mentioning Capucine! She’s not in this issue, but she’s going to be important I think.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Swamp Thing #22 (John The First Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Since the first two issues of Soule's run that featured Superman, this series has been excellent. I like this story with Seeder. I agree with you Punchy that it makes it interesting that the villain is someone who is trying to do good. It doesn't mean that what he's doing is good though. The greatest evil mankind does sometimes is in the name of good and human beings are never so dangerous as they are when they're doing evil thinking it's the right thing.

Thinking along those lines, I'd say that Seeder IS a bad guy. He thinks he's doing good and helping people, but this issue clearly demonstrates that he's not -- quite the opposite in fact. He thinks he's a good guy, but what he thinks doesn't change the true nature of his actions, the Whiskey Tree this issue proves that to be the truth.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Soule rights a good Constantine....

D'oh!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Since the first two issues of Soule's run that featured Superman, this series has been excellent.

I should clarify this in that I mean that the two Superman guest starring issues weren't very good, but since they have been gotten out of the way Soule's run has been very good.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
D'oh!

Oops.

It's easy to make a mistake ya know!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand