Advertisement

80 Year Old Man Upset to Learn Lone Ranger is John Carter Sized Bomb

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 160 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: The Lone Ranger is a John Carter-sized bomb for Disney.

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 pm

habitual wrote:I thought Don Juan Demarco was one of his best performances.

Hab

Ironically where Depp co-starred with Marlon Brando, who he slowly seems to be turning into.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Minus the getting fat part

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I wonder if the people making the new Tarzan movie with Kellan Lutz are feeling worried?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Probably since the second Kellan Lutz (is that name for real?) signed on.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Chris wrote:Probably since the second Kellan Lutz (is that name for real?) signed on.

And Spencer Locke as Jane!

Yeah I don't know who either of them are either, I got the names from IMDB.

By the director of "Animals United" and "Impy's Wonderland"....what the hell, did they ever intend for this thing to make money?!

Apparently Kellan Lutz is has been in the Twilight movies. :smt102

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Chris wrote:
$53M domestically :smt102

I mean, it made more than its budget, but if we follow the accepted rule of double the budget to make a profit... it came up short.

But budget aside.. that's not exactly setting the world on fire. True Grit was a huge success, and people actually cared.

True Grit was helped by the fact that it had a)A bankable star (Matt Damon), b)An established actor who was coming off an Oscar win and was really starting to get his due from the mainstream (Jeff Bridges), b)A couple of name directors who manage to pull off critical and box office success (The Coen Brothers), and d) That it was respectable remake of a true blue Hollywood classic (The original John Wayne film).

Lone Ranger was hampered by the fact that the guy in the title role is still a relative unknown in the mainstream, and a director whose name most people wouldn't recognize.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Chris wrote:Minus the getting fat part

Give him time.

- Sons of the Desert

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Apparently the movie the actress playing "Jane" was in the process of filming after Tarzan, "Big Thunder", already got canned.

Here's a trailer for Tarzan:

I had no idea until this that it was animated...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I wonder if the people making the new Tarzan movie with Kellan Lutz are feeling worried?

It's apparently a stop-motion animation film like Beowulf , so how much they're banking on Lutz name-brand is debatable.

If it was a genuine live-action film, having Lutz (who's been a Calvin Klein underwear model as well as a Twilight star). Might have helped.

- Sons of the Desert

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 271 posts

Postby Spektre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:A rampant success compared to Man of Steel though.

/Hektre'd

Don't beat me to my own comments!

You leave me with only, "Perhaps it would have done better had Tonto snapped the Lone Ranger's neck."
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 am

Damn, Juan Cena, you sure know your male underwear models.

LUTZ!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 765 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:23 am

guitarsmashley wrote:It's not a surprise that 70 year olds didn't flock to see a movie based on their child hood hero.
When we saw Despicable Me 2 on Thursday afternoon, there was a line/queue for Lone Ranger about 20 people deep and it was mostly Baby Boomers. Very rarely does our theater have a line for a movie seating, so I was figuring the movie was doing well.

I actually want to see The Lone Ranger. :?
But then again, I saw John Carter twice in theaters. I thought it was a damn good film. 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:Apparently Kellan Lutz is has been in the Twilight movies. :smt102
He played Poseidon in Immortals. That was a decent flick, but Mickey Rourke's helmet and Zeus's pencil-thin mustache looked so stupid that it kept distracting me.
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 765 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:29 am

ReturnoftheMack wrote:For some reason people wanted to killed this movie. Even this article which compares the two movies weekend numbers is bias because LR opened two days earlier on a long weekend. It's apples and oranges.
Disney has its detractors. John Carter was declared a flop before the opening weekend was even finished; it looks like Lone Ranger has been given the same treatment.
John Carter's problem was a horrible advertizing campaign. Only diehard geeks had a clue about the film taking place both in the past *and* on Mars.
The Lone Ranger can't hide behind that claim - I think the ads have been great and understandable.
-

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 pm

outsider wrote:When we saw Despicable Me 2 on Thursday afternoon, there was a line/queue for Lone Ranger about 20 people deep and it was mostly Baby Boomers. Very rarely does our theater have a line for a movie seating, so I was figuring the movie was doing well.

I actually want to see The Lone Ranger. :?
But then again, I saw John Carter twice in theaters. I thought it was a damn good film. 8)He played Poseidon in Immortals. That was a decent flick, but Mickey Rourke's helmet and Zeus's pencil-thin mustache looked so stupid that it kept distracting me.

Me too, although I'm going to wait to rent it. I enjoyed John Carter, despite it's Rom-Com approach and I usually listen to it if it's on Pay T.V. while I work.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum