Advertisement

Daredevil #28 (I gave you the name! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Daredevil #28 (I gave you the name! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am

After wrapping up the big epic Bullseye storyline, Mark Waid delivers a smaller-stakes story for Daredevil, but one that’s every bit as personal.

The opening scene was really touching, Matt Murdock visits Foggy in Hospital, where he’s started Chemotherapy, and, tragically, because of his powers, Matt can smell all of the various drugs that are swimming around in his best friends body. This understandably makes him puke his guts out. Just being around Foggy is torture for Matt. But he can’t run away, he goes right back in there. Sometimes being without fear is about more than fighting crime, it’s about sacrificing your own well-being to be there for someone else.

The real-story kicks in when Matt is visited by a familiar face, Nate Hackett, one of the Hell’s Kitchen neighbourhood kids who bullied him as a child, and heck, he’s the guy who coined the nickname ‘Daredevil’! I love the idea of bringing back someone from so far in Matt’s past, and I’m actually amazed that this is unexplored territory. Nate’s back story was very interesting, especially how it showed Matt’s childhood in a new light, how he may have been just as much of a dick as Nate and the kids who bullied him were. We find out that Nate fell into a life of crime, and was even a member of the Sons Of The Serpent Neo-Nazi group, but crucially, before they became Neo-Nazis. Nate was arrested for being a member of The Serpents, but wants to sue for false arrest as he never participated in any race war!

I loved how Waid wrote the courtroom scene in this issue, and how he placed something as comic-booky as the Sons Of The Serpent into a real-world context. The issue ends with a great twist, as the Judge in Nate’s case is revealed to be a member of The Sons Of The Serpent and shoots him! This was such a cool moment and I’m very excited for the conclusion. Even on a smaller story, this series kicks ass.

Artwork for this issue comes from Javier Rodriguez, who is the book’s regular colourist. Man, not only is he a great colourist, but he’s a damn good penciler too. His work is very much in the same vein as the likes of Samnee, Martin and Rivera, and I was really very pleasantly surprised. I think it helps that he’s worked on the book in a different capacity for a long time, he really knows what works here.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Daredevil #28 (I gave you the name! Spoilers)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 am

Honestly I think Rodriguez might be my favorite Daredevil penciler to date; I think I even prefer him to Samnee, who has been knocking it out of the park for 2 years now. The series of panels where Matt adjusted his tie before re-entering Foggy's room showed a minimum of movement but conveyed lots of feeling and emotion through nuance. I was thoroughly impressed by his work and hope to see more from him.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Daredevil #28 (I gave you the name! Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Punchy wrote: The opening scene was really touching, Matt Murdock visits Foggy in Hospital, where he’s started Chemotherapy, and, tragically, because of his powers, Matt can smell all of the various drugs that are swimming around in his best friends body. This understandably makes him puke his guts out. Just being around Foggy is torture for Matt. But he can’t run away, he goes right back in there. Sometimes being without fear is about more than fighting crime, it’s about sacrificing your own well-being to be there for someone else.

I agree with this. The scenes with Foggy were really amazing to read.

About Nate Hackett, just one issue in and he may be one of my favourite supporting characters. his attempts to defend himself in court were quite funny.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand