Advertisement

Superman Unchained #2 (Apollodorus Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superman Unchained #2 (Apollodorus Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Scott Snyder and Jim Lee continue to do what only a few months ago seemed impossible and tell good Superman stories. It’s clear from only 2 issues that Snyder gets Superman just as much as he does Batman, and whilst this story is building slowly, I’m enjoying it a hell of a lot.

Snyder already has 3 interesting subplots bubbling away. The first of these is the terrorist group ‘Ascension’, and we find out a lot more about them in this issue. I loved the opening sequence with Superman rushing to figure out how to stop the world’s tallest building from falling down in only 20 or so seconds. I expect Man Of Steel haters will particularly enjoy this scene as it shows Superman figuring out a way to stop the collapse whilst at the same time keeping everyone inside it alive. The idea of the Ascension being Luddite terrorists but still using technology to hide themselves is very interesting and since there’s hypocrisy there, it begs the question about what their real end-game is.

Another subplot is the military’s secret Superman who makes an appearance right at the end to set up a fight in #3. The best thing about this storyline was that it led to a guest-appearance from Batman, in a very cool scene that played into what’s going on in Justice League at the moment, but wasn’t beholden to it. The Superman/Batman relationship is one of the best in comics, I loved the back-up story Snyder wrote in Batman featuring them a few months back, and this was great too. I also really liked the conversation between Superman and General Lane, who is an underrated Superman villain, that’s if you can really call him a villain.

Lois Lane’s appearance in this issue was a highlight once again, I love the new spin on her and Clark’s relationship now that he’s off blogging on his own. She reads his blog just to criticise him! Classic Lois.

The final subplot is Lex Luthor, who is just great in this issue. I love how he planned ahead, and the visual of his body being passed out but his mind still being in control of the machine was so creepy and brilliant. Was that machine Lex was in the same that Ascension used in Dubai? It looks kind of similar, but not exactly.

Jim Lee’s artwork was once again what you’d expect from Jim Lee, I do like how Snyder is giving him lots of epic stuff to draw, that’s what he’s best at. I’m really like Dustin Nguyen’s back-ups as well, but I wish they were a bit longer, 2 pages is not nearly enough!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Superman Unchained #2 (Apollodorus Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I like how in both this issue and #1 Snyder shows us how Superman literally thinks and talks himself through these rescues. Although he remains calm you also can feel his desperation, like when he tells himself "So just act. Try something. Anything!"
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I like how in both this issue and #1 Snyder shows us how Superman literally thinks and talks himself through these rescues. Although he remains calm you also can feel his desperation, like when he tells himself "So just act. Try something. Anything!"

Yeah, and how Snyder slows it down, it took 3 pages or so to show 20 seconds. You get a real sense of what it's like to move at superhuman speed.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I enjoyed this issue(and the series so far) quite a bit but didn't you guys feel like Superman's building save is a total cop out?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm

How so ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:21 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:How so ?

It's no big deal, it turns out my expectations are unreasonable for a Superman comic.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 988 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Punchy wrote:I also really liked the conversation between Superman and General Lane, who is an underrated Superman villain, that’s if you can really call him a villain.

Of course he is a villain. He uses government resources to intimidate a person who he can't control because that person has more power than he does, all while having a similar person under his control or on his pay roll.

Aside from that, I still don't really know how I feel about this series.
ImageImageImage

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but for anyone who might be looking for a really good Superman story, today's digital Adventures of Superman just about made me cheer out loud. Story, art, and a Superman I remember. Best Fortress of Solitude since COIE. Awesome!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand