Advertisement

The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #2 (SPLRS)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #2 (SPLRS)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Hmm, now this series just got a whole lot more interesting. I enjoyed the first issue of Gerard Way and Shaun Simon’s story, but this second issue was a lot more straight-forward, and now I feel like I have a better handle on the type of world this story is set. This is a strange universe, and one that doesn’t really make sense, but I suppose that’s appropriate for a world created in a punk rock concept album.

The best scene here was the blue-haired robot lady going to Battery City Hall to get a new battery for her friend, having to jump through a load of bureaucracy and then in the end inadvertently causing her friend to be sentenced to death. Such a banal dystopia. I also thought it was cool to get more depth about Korse, the ostensible villain of the series (who was played by Grant MFing Morrison in the original MCR music videos), who may actually be a bit more complex than he looks. Maybe he’s not a villain? He certainly has a secret life, in that it looks like he’s gay.

And of course, there’s the Killjoys story, as The Girl meets up with the only surviving original Killjoy, Cherri Cola. Cherri tells her to not take the fight to BLI, but of course, she’s not having that. Becky Cloonan’s art was, no surprises here, brilliant, she’s such a good artist, and her cool style meshes perfectly with something coming from big mainstream rockstar. Dan Jackson’s colours are also fantastic, the Killjoys are a colourful bunch, and he provides that in spades.

With each issue of this series, things are becoming clearer. It’s like being dropped in at the deep end at first, but now it’s starting to make sense.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand