Advertisement

Justice League #22 (I just knocked down Superman Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 pm

The big ‘Trinity War’ storyline kicks off, and, much to my surprise, this was my favourite issue of Justice League in a while. Well, I liked the last issue too, but that was an all-Shazam affair, this was my favourite issue of Justice League that was actually about the Justice League in a while. I’ve been complaining about both this title and JLoA spinning their wheels about getting to the big fight between the two teams, but now it’s here, and it’s actually pretty awesome.

The catalyst for this story comes from Shazam, who decides to pay his respects to Black Adam by taking his ashes to Kahndaq. As we know, outsiders are banned from Kahndaq, so the Justice League go to stop him. And then the Justice League Of America go to stop them. It’s all a big clusterfuck, and it gets even worse when Superman kills Doctor Light. Yes, you heard me right, Superman kills Doctor Light. It’s a pretty shocking moment, and I was looking forward to all sorts of fury on the Internet about it, especially since so many people argued that Superman should never kill after Man Of Steel. But unfortunately, it looks like things are not as they seem. The mysterious Outsider has manipulated events here, and I’m betting that this crossover is just there to lead into another one, Forever Evil. It’s a bit exhausting, but this was actually a good issue, so if Johns can keep that up, I’m fine.

I’m very excited to see the various Justice Leagues go up against each other, and to see how Justice League Dark are involved, because other than Madam Xanadu, they don’t appear. I did like that framing sequence with Xanadu, and the twist at the very end was great. I do think it’s interesting that ‘Trinity War’ is not about the traditional DC Trinity of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, but actually about Pandora, Phantom Stranger and The Question, but I find it hard to care about these characters, that scene where Pandora appears was just nonsensical. Is it worth reading her solo series? I doubt it. I did like seeing The Question though, I have problems with his new immortal cosmic nature, but he’s just such a cool character.

Ivan Reis’ art here was fantastic, his slick style is perfect for big epic superhero stories, and everything here looked fantastic, I particularly loved the fight between Superman and Shazam. It’s always awesome when those two fight (like Kingdom Come or that one episode of JLU) and Reis made it look awesome. So yeah, this was your typical Johns event-mode book, but I kind of like that mode, it’s certainly better than non-event-mode Justice League.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm

that scene where Pandora appears was just nonsensical. Is it worth reading her solo series?

Pandora #1 was better than I thought it would be. You get a better feel for her and why she's been popping up for the last 2 years. The scene in this issue spins out of her title because she needs someone with the strongest and purest of heart to re-open the box. What happens then I think leads to Superman's alleged action in Kahndaq. When Superman is possessed he gets that weird "third eye" like Despero. Then that whole scene oddly just stops. I wonder if the Outsider didn't use Despero to pull a "Doc Ock" on Superman or somehow allow them to remote control him without Superman even realizing it.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: Justice League #22 (I just knocked down Superman Spoiler

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Pandora #1 was better than I thought it would be. You get a better feel for her and why she's been popping up for the last 2 years. The scene in this issue spins out of her title because she needs someone with the strongest and purest of heart to re-open the box. What happens then I think leads to Superman's alleged action in Kahndaq. When Superman is possessed he gets that weird "third eye" like Despero. Then that whole scene oddly just stops. I wonder if the Outsider didn't use Despero to pull a "Doc Ock" on Superman or somehow allow them to remote control him without Superman even realizing it.

Strongest and purest of heart?

I'm guessing it'll end up being Shazam.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Punchy wrote:Ivan Reis’ art here was fantastic, his slick style is perfect for big epic superhero stories, and everything here looked fantastic, I particularly loved the fight between Superman and Shazam. It’s always awesome when those two fight (like Kingdom Come or that one episode of JLU) and Reis made it look awesome. So yeah, this was your typical Johns event-mode book, but I kind of like that mode, it’s certainly better than non-event-mode Justice League.

Ditto!

I <3 Shazam, that look on Billy's face when he slugged \S/ was worth the price of admission alone. Not to mention how fucking scary MM is whenever Reis draws him. I'm stoked to see how this plays out, I can't wait to see Hawkman pick up Vibe's slack. :lol:

I really like Hawkman in JLA, is his own title any good?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1241 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Punchy wrote:Strongest and purest of heart?

I'm guessing it'll end up being Shazam.

Then it won't be the DCnU Shazam.
ImageImageImage

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Grayson wrote:

Sure it will, he's opened his heart to his new family and he displays a great deal of compassion for Black Adam in this issue.

This is the best version of Billy Batson yet, certainly a lot closer to his Fawcett incarnation than ever before. :smt102

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Grayson wrote:

I could be now, the snotty Billy Batson of the first chapters has grown and changed.

The whole kick-off for this crossover was Billy trying to be respectful to the ashes of his biggest enemy! Pretty pure of heart.

Plus of course, Shazam already has a pre-existing relationship with the 7 Deadly Sins.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 396 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Sure it will, he's opened his heart to his new family and he displays a great deal of compassion for Black Adam in this issue.

None of which erases the utter jerk stuff he was doing before.

If NuBilly is the "strongest and purest of heart" that the DCnU has to offer, then it's even more of a Crapsack World than I could have ever thought it was.

This is the best version of Billy Batson yet, certainly a lot closer to his Fawcett incarnation than ever before. :smt102

Ordway's Billy wasn't an utter Jerk@$$ like NuBilly has been. He wins this "contest" handily.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Herald wrote:
None of which erases the utter jerk stuff he was doing before.

There was no "utter jerk stuff", you're just an ignorant tool who doesn't know any better, or would you like to upgrade to cunt as well?

If NuBilly is the "strongest and purest of heart" that the DCnU has to offer, then it's even more of a than I could have ever thought it was.

Ya, but nobody wants to write comic books for you because your tastes are so fucking lame.

Ordway's Billy wasn't an utter like NuBilly has been. He wins this "contest" handily.

Ordway's PoS is fucking ambien in paper form. I bought the whole thing off ebay to compliment my Fawcett collection and I can't even read all the issues without falling asleep. The only contest he won is "What version of Shazam would I like to wipe my ass with."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Jeff Smith is the only person to write a decent Captain Marvel story in the past decade.

Hab

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 396 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:30 pm

habitual wrote:Jeff Smith is the only person to write a decent Captain Marvel story in the past decade.

Hab

Co-signed.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 pm

It seems like most people hating on the Johns/Frank Shazam story only read the first few parts and then just stopped.

Seriously, by the end, Billy was basically the classic Captain Marvel we all know and love.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:33 pm

habitual wrote:Jeff Smith is the only person to write a decent Captain Marvel story in the past decade.

Hab

But who wants to read fan service to 40+ year old nostalgia whores?

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Punchy wrote:It seems like most people hating on the Johns/Frank Shazam story only read the first few parts and then just stopped.

Seriously, by the end, Billy was basically the classic Captain Marvel we all know and love.

Better even because he's a fleshed out character this time, rather than a 2-dimensional comic book cliche.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Punchy wrote:It seems like most people hating on the Johns/Frank Shazam story only read the first few parts and then just stopped.

My real problem is that Johns is one of the few writers that has shown in the past that he can write a decent Captain Marvel as evidenced in JSA.

This most certainly isn't it.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand