Advertisement

East Of West #4 (She happened Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

East Of West #4 (She happened Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Hickman and Dragotta’s insane sci-fi western continues with it’s most action heavy and probably best issue yet. Pretty much all of this issue was Death’s assault on New Shanghai and it was FUCKING AWESOME times 100. He and his two companions were carving a swathe through their enemies, it was seriously bad-ass.

But this wasn’t just violence for violence’s sake, we find out some interesting things about the characters. Not only about Mao and the back story there, but we see the special abilities of Death’s companions. The woman can change into a flock of birds, and the man into a pack of wolves, which is pretty damn cool. I make fun of Hickman’s portentous writing style on superhero books, but for a series with a decidedly apocalyptic bent like this one, it works a lot better. Plus, here, he actually can destroy the world, no matter how much creative freedom he has at Marvel, he can’t end that Universe.

Nick Dragotta’s art is once again absolutely breathtaking, this is the best work of his career, it’s just iconic. The best parts of this issue came towards the end, the first was the 3 other Horsemen of the apocalypse talking to the Colonel Sanders looking dude, and then, the actions of Death’s wife. She crushes her sister’s head with her robot hands (and man, was that hardcore) and then she decapitates her father. Death is now married to the leader of the House Of Mao, this is some serious stuff. I’m becoming increasingly fascinated by Mai Lin, what kind of woman falls in love with Death? What kind of woman can make him kneel? She could be the biggest player here, not her pale rider of a husband.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: East Of West #4 (She happened Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Bored by issues 1-3.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Punchy I'm going to refer to this as your "Broken Clock" review because you were right twice today.

There is nothing about this book that isn't fantastic. It's quickly shot into my top five and is in close contention as the best book on the stands for me.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 am

habitual wrote:Punchy I'm going to refer to this as your "Broken Clock" review because you were right twice today.

There is nothing about this book that isn't fantastic. It's quickly shot into my top five and is in close contention as the best book on the stands for me.

Hab

When was the other time I was right today? :P

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 am

Punchy wrote:
When was the other time I was right today? :P

You were right about the writing AND the art in this review. :D

I'm not a huge "art" guy, and even I think Dragotta is fantastic.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 am

habitual wrote:
You were right about the writing AND the art in this review. :D

I'm not a huge "art" guy, and even I think Dragotta is fantastic.

Hab

Ah, OK.

I think you and I agree much more when it comes to Indie books. Well, that's if Image can really be considered Indie these days. Non-superhero books.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:36 am

Punchy wrote:
Ah, OK.

I think you and I agree much more when it comes to Indie books. Well, that's if Image can really be considered Indie these days. Non-superhero books.

Have you picked up BKV's The Private Eye?

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 am

habitual wrote:
Have you picked up BKV's The Private Eye?

Hab

Oh yes, I'm loving that.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 am

Then do reviews on it!

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 am

habitual wrote:Then do reviews on it!

Hab

I did for #1 and #2, but #3 came out at a weird time.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Still not digging it as much as I hoped after reading #4. I think my problem is that I don't yet at this point understand the mechanics of the world Hickman has created here. I understand it's a futurism-Western milieu, but some people seem to be armed with lower tech projectile weapons and some high-powered energy weapons that would be a huge imbalance. With what would seem to be massive resources, armies of individual soldiers are sent against Death as opposed to more destructive unmanned means of assault. Those soldiers, I can't tell what their guns are firing because it's sort of taken for granted no one in this highly-trained army is going to hit the broad side of a barn, and as such the artist has depicted all their actual gunfire as little orange puffs coming out of the guns. But I didn't feel Death's victory over the army was truly earned by the way it's shown, at least until Xiaolian takes control of her father's empire. Imagine an army of thousands of armed soldiers being attacked by a handful of wolves or flock of birds. They would annihilate them with gunfire in a quick second.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

One of the other things we learned in this issue is what the past forms of the four looked like, including Death himself in what I assume where their previous incarnations.

Hab

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm

This is certainly the comic to be reading right now.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand