Advertisement

Hawkeye #12 (Chickenbutt Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Hawkeye #12 (Chickenbutt Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 am

After last issue’s journey into canine-based storytelling, this instalment of Hawkeye takes us back into the world of humans, but interestingly, once again, the focus here is not on Clint Barton. Nope, this issue is all about his brother, Barney Barton, the former Trickshot and Dark Avengers Hawkeye. Just like how this series ignores what Clint gets up to as an Avenger, this issue ignores whatever Barney was doing in Dark Avengers, and we discover that Barney was the hobo that Pizza-Dog saved last issue.

It’s definitely going to be fun seeing Fraction slowly reveal just what went down in #11, we get one answer here, but there’s a lot more to come. Barney runs afoul of the Tracksuit Draculas, and is on the receiving end of a couple of brutal beat-downs. In amongst all this is a series of flashbacks to Clint and Barney’s childhood. This is before they joined the Circus, back when they were living with their abusive father. These scenes were very well done, very touching really, and it was very interesting to see that Barney is the one who taught Clint not only how to aim, but how to punch.

This was another excellent issue of Hawkeye, I love how each issue complete unto itself, but also ties in to the greater story. I will say however that the greater story does seem to be spinning its wheels a little. Grills was killed like, 4 issues ago, and we’ve barely moved beyond that point. I get that this is a unique book and it’s cool how it’s different, but it is a bit slow. Hopefully the one-two punch of the Annual and #13 will get things going. Francesco Francavilla once again filled in on the art, and whilst I still don’t think his two issues of Hawkeye are his best work, they look a little rushed, he’s still a brilliant artist with such a cool style, even his less-good stuff is excellent.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Hawkeye #12 (Chickenbutt Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 pm

With any other series I have to admit that I'd be a little annoyed at the slow pace of the overall plot that's currently happening in this series. Has it really been four issues showing events in almost the exact period of time? Yes it has, but it doesn't feel like it's been that long. That's a testament to just how good this series is.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm

I am actually really enjoying the pacing of the current "arc" in Hawkeye. Hawkeye isn't the conventional mainstream comic book, so why should it's arcs be conventional?
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:32 am

maybe i misunderstood this but.....

the way barney caused the tracksuit mafia to crash cutting right to the scene of their dad in a car wreck.....did that imply barney used some kinda projectile to cause the crash?

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 700 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:22 am

fieldy snuts wrote:maybe i misunderstood this but.....

the way barney caused the tracksuit mafia to crash cutting right to the scene of their dad in a car wreck.....did that imply barney used some kinda projectile to cause the crash?

That's how I read it.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 471 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:55 am

Probably Marvel's best book (Daredevil is starting to slide).

Only gripe is that the Barney recap on page one didn't explain why Barney isn't dead.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 am

Amoebas wrote:Probably Marvel's best book (Daredevil is starting to slide).

Only gripe is that the Barney recap on page one didn't explain why Barney isn't dead.

Barney came back a while ago in Jim McCann's Hawkeye: Blindspot mini-series. He was then a member of the second Dark Avengers team in both Bendis' Avengers run and their own series written by Jeff Parker.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:21 am

Grayson wrote:I am actually really enjoying the pacing of the current "arc" in Hawkeye. Hawkeye isn't the conventional mainstream comic book, so why should it's arcs be conventional?

Because it really is the best book being cranked out by the big two

If it's not conventional it should be.

Hab

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 am

Especially after this week's issues, I think Daredevil is winning the Hawkeye/Daredevil battle, but both are just lightyears beyond anything else from the big two.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am

Amoebas wrote:Probably Marvel's best book (Daredevil is starting to slide).

I agree Hawkguy is Marvel's best book (but there's no "probably" to it, it's no contest), but I couldn't disagree more about DD, I think it's as strong as ever, and an easy second-best Big 2 book being published right now.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 147 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 pm

chap22 wrote:I agree Hawkguy is Marvel's best book (but there's no "probably" to it, it's no contest), but I couldn't disagree more about DD, I think it's as strong as ever, and an easy second-best Big 2 book being published right now.

If I had to subsist on these two titles alone, I'd be a happy man.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:17 am

Stephen Day wrote:With any other series I have to admit that I'd be a little annoyed at the slow pace of the overall plot that's currently happening in this series. Has it really been four issues showing events in almost the exact period of time? Yes it has, but it doesn't feel like it's been that long. That's a testament to just how good this series is.

You're letting this issue off easy because #11 was so well-done (and is just a few weeks old). You said you wanted answers after #11, and this issue provided very little of them.

Much like Uncanny X-Men #144, I cannot fault the artist for my disappointment. Anderson and Francavilla both followed incredible issues with their own solid artwork.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:53 am

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo wrote:
You're letting this issue off easy because #11 was so well-done (and is just a few weeks old). You said you wanted answers after #11, and this issue provided very little of them.

Much like Uncanny X-Men #144, I cannot fault the artist for my disappointment. Anderson and Francavilla both followed incredible issues with their own solid artwork.

I personally don't think I'm letting this issue off easy alone at all -- it was a really good read. Yes, I said after last issue that I wanted answers, and I still do at some point. That statement came before I read this issue though.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I personally don't think I'm letting this issue off easy alone at all -- it was a really good read. Yes, I said after last issue that I wanted answers, and I still do at some point. That statement came before I read this issue though.

You make me wonder if you care about Barney Barton more than Pizza Dog. Poor Pizza Dog.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:59 pm

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo wrote:
You make me wonder if you care about Barney Barton more than Pizza Dog. Poor Pizza Dog.

Pizza Dog is cool.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand