Wednesday, December 7, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Assholes welcome."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Pacific Rim Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Grown Ups 2 looks like it might end up beating Pacific Rim at the box office. Really? Utter comedy is the way to go? Who wants to watch this shit?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/13/bo ... ening-day/

However, Grown-Ups 2 roared back on Friday. According to projections from Deadline, Grown-Ups 2 will win Friday with $16.5 million and is on track to win the weekend with $46 million. Despicable Me 2 looks to take second place with $15 million and finish the weekend with $47 million. And Pacific Rim looks to take third place with $13.5 million on Friday and a projected $37 million for the weekend. Of course with numbers that close, it’s still anybody’s ballgame, and we could still have a surprise finish when all the numbers are official.

Revised: Like we warned, with numbers this close, things can change. Now that more official numbers are in, Grown-Ups 2 is still in first place on Friday with $16.3 million. However, Pacific Rim has moved into second place with $14.6 million, and Despicable Me 2 has dropped into third place with $13.4 million. These new numbers include the Thursday late shows in Friday’s totals.

All three films are exceeding early expectations and look to drive a huge increase at the box office over last year. Even though Grown-Ups 2 only has a 7% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 90% liked it rating from audiences. Many were calling for Pacific Rim to be a megaflop, but it’s actually drawing a respectable box office for a non-sequel original property. Pacific Rim also looks to possibly fair even stronger at the international box office than the domestic box office. And Despicable Me 2 is proving it wasn’t a one weekend wonder at the box office.

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Word of Mouth will push Pacific Rim much higher than expectations, I bet.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 pm

KingPagla wrote:Word of Mouth will push Pacific Rim much higher than expectations, I bet.

We can only hope.

I want more giant monster movies! :drunk

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 pm

doombug wrote:We can only hope.

I want more giant monster movies! :drunk

Well, we're at least getting Godzilla. :-D

pastajoe

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby pastajoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Saw it today, it was OK but not great. The characters were a bit predictable and cliche, but the fights were fun and it had some funny moments.

T.S.S.-72

Rain Partier

Postby T.S.S.-72 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 pm

Absolutely fucking loved it! I could watch it all again right now! Ron Pearlman was fantastice, Charlie Hunnam was stellar, the action scenes were so intense and so breath takingly beautiful!! Kaiju's were legit scary badass looking creatures straight out of a nightmare! Kudos to everyone involved this is my favorite movie of the Summer of 2013 hands down!

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 pm

pastajoe wrote:Saw it today, it was OK but not great. The characters were a bit predictable and cliche, but the fights were fun and it had some funny moments.

Even so, it was a hundred times better than the normal Hollywood crap that it churns out every summer. Case in point, the movie that's "beating" it. :smt011

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:49 pm

I loved it. It was everything a big budget summer blockbuster should be. Fun cast (esp. Perlman 8) & Elba) and not too melodtamatic.
I have no idea how they could do a sequel, but I would be down for that.
Or even a prequel. (Moar monsters vs robots plz)

And thumbs up to Zechs for heads up on mid credit bit!

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am

I thought it was pretty good, but not a home run.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:17 am

KingPagla wrote:Well, we're at least getting Godzilla. :-D

Yeah by Americans, we all know how well it went the last time. :smt013 (I can say that being an American lol)

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:19 am

Just got home, about to record a vlog review of it. Lot's of thoughts. 8)

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 am

sdsichero wrote:I thought it was pretty good, but not a home run.

:smt011 You are so picky. :P

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 am

doombug wrote:Yeah by Americans, we all know how well it went the last time. :smt013 (I can say that being an American lol)

We got a Roland Emmerich Godzilla :smt011

Let's see how this new guy does. let's be real with ourselves it is not like any of the Japanese Godzilla films are masterpieces.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:30 am

sdsichero wrote:I thought it was pretty good, but not a home run.

Interesting to read.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 am

So... who's "The Spektre" of this movie? :smt102

I tired watching Atlantic Rim last night, since it was on tv..... I want that time back. I bailed but I still really deserve that 15 minutes back.

leave a comment with facebook