Advertisement

Justice League #22 (I just knocked down Superman Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Re: Justice League #22 (I just knocked down Superman Spoiler

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 am

superfictious wrote:I'd say within the last 4-6 months...yes. The Superman books have finally come around, the main Batman titles are still pretty good, JL has FINALLY turned a corner, Wonder Woman's good as ever, Flash is still solid, and books like Suicide Squad (yes, I realize the creative change is unsettling, but I have faith in Kindt), Earth 2, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man add a little variety.

I think it's a good foundation for the current line. I wish there were more quirky titles, but since DC seems to be hiring more indie writers, that wish may come true...as long as there's less interference. At this point, it's senseless to compare the New 52 to the last iteration, since that world isn't about to come back anytime soon. I hope they leave that world in the past and move forward with the world they have, flaws and all, and just make it work.

Fair enough. I'd respectfully disagree about the Superman titles (outside of Unchained, which I haven't read), JL, and Suicide Squad (it was getting good with the currently outgoing writer). Flash is...I guess you could call it solid. Kind of like mashed potatoes...I won't turn it down, but it doesn't necessarily make me praise it. Yes on Earth 2...except Robinson's leaving, so that book is up in the air. WW is top shelf. Dropped Swamp Thing and Animal Man after Rotworld, so no comment there.

I find it interesting that you're touting the influx of indie writers when one has already been unceremoniously dropped. Do you see long term potential there? I'm admittedly cynical about that. Agreed that comparisons between the old and new are fruitless, but I still think there wasn't a need to turn Superman into a petulant douche (my opinion). It just seems like editorial at DC is akin to a ship without a rudder.

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:11 pm

HNutz wrote:
It WOULD explain the shared last name... ;)

The real Kimiyo's last name is "Hoshi", not "Light". :P

That's another reason why this is a misbegotten Elseworlds version of the character, part and parcel of a misbegotten Elseworlds universe created by the misbegotten Pandora.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Herald wrote:

That's another reason why this is a misbegotten Elseworlds version of the character, part and parcel of a misbegotten Elseworlds universe created by the misbegotten Pandora.

I frankly have to agree. I don't deny some of you enjoy this new universe but I have no connection to any of it. These are not the characters I grew up with. I really could care less what they do with them

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Herald wrote:

So people can't change their names when they get married?

I bet her maiden-name is still Hoshi.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Punchy wrote:
So people can't change their names when they get married?

My point is, if NuKimiyo DID change her last name to "Light", that's yet another reason why she isn't the Real Deal.

I bet her maiden-name is still Hoshi.

That's nice. But the real Kimiyo is divorced, not married, especially not to Arthur.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:15 am

Herald wrote:
My point is, if NuKimiyo DID change her last name to "Light", that's yet another reason why she isn't the Real Deal.

That's nice. But the real Kimiyo is divorced, not married, especially not to Arthur.

Well, yeah, she's not married to him now... because he's dead!

And 'real'? Come on man.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:35 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
This is just a question based out of curiosity alone...do you think that there is a lot of quality in the NuDC?

Compared to the last ten years or so? Absolutely. I fucking hate Final Crisis and stopped reading DC until Flashpoint. DC is just as flawed as Marvel in my eyes at this point, I don't love everything either company does.

Generally I don't care for the institutionalized tone of DC comics, that these heroes are ICONS beyond reproach. I like that MM and Shazam are more than willing to punch Superman in the face rather than, "he's the best of us, oh we can't do that." I love that Aquaman kicks ass, anyone who can thrive on the bottom of the ocean should be a freakishly tough motherfucker, especially on land. I love Wonder Woman getting upgraded to demigod status and her unapologetic views on lethal force.

There's lots I don't like, Superman is often depicted as a fucking tool, Batman as a concept is just plain horse shit, fuck Barry Allen and Hal Jordan and the rest of the Silver Age fanwank. My biggest complaint is DC didn't reboot enough. There's lots I don't like about Marvel too though, never been a fan of the Avengers or any of their solo books, or Spider-man or the wacky zany hipster friendly comic relief titles. Or the goddamned Wolverine, fuck I hate him but probably just due to overexposure.

My loyalties are to my pull list and it's still pretty much the same as it was 25 years ago:

Justice League(s)
WW
Shazam
Superman Team up books
Hulk
Uncanny X-men
F4

The only new titles that I didn't collect before are Aquaman, DD, and Hawkguy. Indies come and go but as far as the big two, I don't see any major difference in overall quality anymore. If DC gets all preachy and upbeat again then I will drop that shit right away. I find flawed action heroes are just way more entertaining than upbeat role models.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 pm

This book was fan-fucking-tastic. I am very excited for the Trinity War and how it plays out!

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand